Honda lawnmowers

/ Honda lawnmowers #1  

brianMO

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T330 w/ lt300 loader
I just picked up 3 old honda lawn mowers. None of them run. All seemed to have carb issues. HR214, HRA214, and HR215. All for $75.00. All the parts are there, as well as bags and chutes. I heard they were great mowers, and they do not build them like they used to. Think I have a project ready to start. Anybody own one of these. If so, tell me about them.

/ Honda lawnmowers #2  
Sounds like a great find.

I have an HRT216 so I guess it is a descendent of those. It is the best mower I have ever had. I did have the carb rebuilt last year (after 6 or 7 years use)

My FIL has had a Honda for probably 20 years, still starts on the first pull.

Good luck with them.

/ Honda lawnmowers #3  
I just picked up 3 old honda lawn mowers. None of them run. All seemed to have carb issues. HR214, HRA214, and HR215. All for $75.00. All the parts are there, as well as bags and chutes. I heard they were great mowers, and they do not build them like they used to. Think I have a project ready to start. Anybody own one of these. If so, tell me about them.

I have a Honda HRR216. I change the oil once a year, run it right out of gas until it quits every fall, and it starts first or second pull every time, including first time in spring with new gas. It seems not to have much compression, but I think all Honda engines are that way. I heard somewhere that they have a decompression device of some kind to make pulling the pull starter easier. I have never had a carb or starting problem.

/ Honda lawnmowers
I work on the HR215 last night. Dump the old gas. Pulled the plug, and did a compression check. Compression did seem low. It was 90, squirted a little oil in it and it only slightly raised the compression. Used a syringe and squirted some seafoam in the cylinder and let it soak while I went through the carb for a cleaning. Pull the cord a few times to clean the cylinder. I found that these are design to work on. I love the air filter system. Put it back together. It started on the second pull. Of course I cleaned all the skeeters out with the smoke from the seafoam. Everything works. I have two more to fix. I gave it a good workout, then changed the oil.

/ Honda lawnmowers #5  
I have an HR 173 that I got for free when one of my neighbours was relocating. There are a number of rough areas behind the house that my neighbours and I had to tame and we needed a "rock mower" that we did not have to worry about. The guys wife had hit the mower with the car and bent a wheel bracket -- I fixed that with two pipe wrenches:eek: and proceeded to mow -- that was five years ago and the mower was the guys fathers from the 70's. I usually forget to drain the gas in the fall so I pour a little gas in the carb in the spring and it fires up and does so for the rest of the summer:rolleyes: Now my neighbours borrow it whenever their mowers quit. For 75 bucks you got a great deal if this mower is any indication. (course not better than free:rolleyes:)