Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #1  

FRIZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
Hi:

I need a good self-propelled lawn mower to mow where a lawn tractor can稚 go. Consumer Report thinks highly of the Honda HRX Series Self Propelled Lawn Mower.
Would you be so kind to share your experiences? Good and bad.

Thank you.
Regards,
FRIZ

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #2  
I have a 21" Honda self propelled rear bagger aluminum deck - not sure of model & not at home to look. Purchased almost 30 years ago. Saw it come out of the box. They put in Oil & Gas - started first pull - pretty much same results since then. May have changed the oil once or twice, spark plug - who knows - no other maint whatsoever. Son bought a similar used one - beat it up and it still ran strong.

Recommend 100%

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #3  
I have a HRS series. Been great. Starts first pull everytime.

Only issues are that: Self propel on my model is a little too fast and the deck has rusted a bit.

THe HRX takes care of those problems with variable speed and Nexite deck. WHen (if ) this one dies im going to strongly consider the HRX.

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #4  
Since I started mowing with the finish mower last year, I have found it's easier to mow up close around a few obstacles with a push mower rather than the RFM. I had a cheaper Montgomery Wards push mower that I was using up until about a month ago. One morning when I was using it, the handle just snapped in half at the base. It was a cheap peice of junk and the price was right ;). I was actually happy about losing it because I had been wanting to get a new mower.

When getting a new push mower, I knew I wanted a Honda. IMO, nothing beats a Honda in reliability as far as the mower itself, and especially the engine. I didn't want a bag model as I like to discharge all the clippings and enrich the lawn. Problem was, most everyone wants a bagger these days. Another requirement was that I didn't want anything that was self propelled, to me it was just one more thing to break. The local dealer didn't have any of the HRS series (this series contains the only 2 side discharge models that Honda offers), because he said "they would never sell". He told me he could order one, but it would cost me more. He then started to try to sell me a self propelled bagger and I said no thanks. I called the second closest dealer and they said they had the HRS self propelled in stock, but not the push version. Though they said they could order one at no extra cost. I then called the third farthest dealer away, about an hours drive, and they had an HRS push model in stock. They were also selling it at $30 less than MSRP.

I got up to the dealership and to make a long story short, the guy I talked to on the phone mistook the self propelled HRS on the showroom floor for the push version. But, because of there mistake, they said that they would cut me a deal and meet me half way on either the self propelled HRS model, or the push bag model from the HRR series. Or, they could order me the HRS push model if I really wanted it. I ended up buy the HRS self propelled, even though I didn't want the self propelled. Even though it had the SP feature, it still weighed less than what I was currently using, so I figured I could still push it around without a problem, and just not use that option. Plus, they were going to cut me a deal.

So I ended up getting an HRS216K3SDA Honda lawn mower for $64 off MSRP, which I thought was a great deal. I know you want a self propelled bagger, but I can still give you my opinion on the quality. The first few things that amazed me were the ease of starting, the quietness of the engine is just sheer amazing, the smoothness and ease at which it effortlessly rolls across the ground, and it feels very much like a solid built mower. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another Honda.

If you want a self propelled bagger, I would suggest going with at least the HRX217K2HXA, or any other higher Honda model that has the hydrostatic transmission. The models lower than that have the cable driven transmission and if they break, they can be several hundred to replace. The hydro transmissions are very reliable and most commercial users will purchase a mower with that type of transmission. If price isn't an issue, and I have found it isn't with you, than I would take a look at one of the pure commercial Honda' s. Particularly the HRC216K3HXA model, because it's drive system is a shaft drive instead of a belt, which is a much more reliable option.

Good luck with your purchase, you can't go wrong with a Honda.

:cool:

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower
... I would take a look at one of the pure commercial Honda' s. Particularly the HRC216K3HXA model, because it's drive system is a shaft drive instead of a belt, which is a much more reliable option.

Good luck with your purchase, you can't go wrong with a Honda.

:cool:

Thank you.:)
Regards,
FRIZ

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #6  
I dont think anybody regrets buying a honda. Almost to a person they say theyre the best theyve ever used.

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #7  
I guess everybody has a great Honda story! I have a ~20 year old aluminum deck 5 hp self propelled Honda. My family has close friends that own a Honda dealership/rental shop. It was given to my dad after several years as being a rental unit. It has been passed around throughout the family for 20 years now. I currently have it and am fixing to pass the torch once again to my brother who just bought his first house. That mower has been amazing. It has never had any repairs made to it that I'm aware of. It starts first pull EVERY time. I have little use for a walk behind mower anymore but if I was ever to need one again.... Honda is the only way I'd go.

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #8  
15 years on my first honda...still runs great. bought two commerical models they both work great. track drive snow blower is 10 years old and runs great. some of the things that are found on a commerical mower and not on a premium residental mower are the dead man control, the commerical mower will have the blade stop but motor keeps running, and it will have the gx series ohv engine. extra handle bar bracing and better wheeles. my aunt and uncle have a big chunk of grass and have given there hrx a good test. the plastic deck is nice, it will never rust. the only thing they wore out was the wheels and a drive belt....

/ Honda HRX Series Lawn Mower #9  
I have the commercial version, the HRC. Purchased new for about $1,150.

It is a nice mower and it starts easy and the hydrostatic drive is pretty cool, but it is long (from front of wheels to handlebars), which makes it a tad harder to turn tightly.

I've also noticed that when mulching thick grass it could use a lot more power...doesn't take much to bog it down, and it seems like "full throttle" doesn't work it very hard...like there should be a lot more power.

I'll probably go to **** for saying this, but if I could go back I'd buy the Toro equivalent (with Honda engine).