Honda or Kohler engine ???

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Im planning to purchase a Bush Hog zero turn mower soon. The estate models come with either a Kohler or Honda engine. Which would you choose, and more importantly "WHY" thanks a million.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #2  
The deciding factor for me would be which brand had the better support in my area. I have used both with great results. My welder and my air compressor have Kohler engines because at the time I felt I was going to get the best support from the local Kohler dealer. I now have a Honda EU6500i generator and feel like I will get better support for the Honda. The Kohler dealer is no longer in business, fortunately I have never had a problem with my Kohler engines.

Brian

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #3  
I can't speak for Kohler engines, but I hear good things about them.

I do have 2 Honda generators (EU6500iSA and EU2000iA) and a honda mower. Both generaotrs have about 50hrs in year+ I've owned them. Both have exceeded my expectations. Great fuel economy, quiet, and start easily even in single digit temperatures (the pull start and manual choke on the 2k takes a few tries after its been sitting for a few weeks).

The mower (don't know how old) has never required any maintance. I check the oil in the spring. Have only needed add twice in the 6 years I've been using it. Its been put in the garage in the fall with what ever gas is left and no stable or any winterization. Starts right up every spring.

Good luck.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #4  
The deciding factor for me would be which brand had the better support in my area. I have used both with great results. My welder and my air compressor have Kohler engines because at the time I felt I was going to get the best support from the local Kohler dealer. I now have a Honda EU6500i generator and feel like I will get better support for the Honda. The Kohler dealer is no longer in business, fortunately I have never had a problem with my Kohler engines.

Brian

DITTO. In my area, I'd probably use the Kohler, although the Kohler Courage motor is not their best motor, designed for approximately a 500 hour life span +/-. I'd need to check out the Honda motor specs more closely to see if it was much better and worth any price difference. Based on past experience, the Honda is probably quieter.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #5  
I would think Kohlers would produce more torque. Torque is more important than hp in this arena.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #6  
I can't speak for Kohler engines, but I hear good things about them.

I do have 2 Honda generators (EU6500iSA and EU2000iA) and a honda mower. Both generaotrs have about 50hrs in year+ I've owned them. Both have exceeded my expectations. Great fuel economy, quiet, and start easily even in single digit temperatures (the pull start and manual choke on the 2k takes a few tries after its been sitting for a few weeks).

The mower (don't know how old) has never required any maintance. I check the oil in the spring. Have only needed add twice in the 6 years I've been using it. Its been put in the garage in the fall with what ever gas is left and no stable or any winterization. Starts right up every spring.

Good luck.

You haven't even broken in those generators yet. My EU6500i has 1100 hrs on it in a year. lol

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #7  
Im planning to purchase a Bush Hog zero turn mower soon. The estate models come with either a Kohler or Honda engine. Which would you choose, and more importantly "WHY" thanks a million.

I would go Honda in a second and pay the extra money for it. Honda's reputation for reliability is second to none. I have a Honda EB6500X generator. I could have bought a Chinese generator at Harbor Freight for 80% less. When the power is out that's hassle enough. I wanted something that was totally reliable. Now and many years from now.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #8  
My first choice for gas engine is Honda.

My order off the top of my head is:
Honda
Yamaha
Robin/Subaru
Kawasaki
Kohler
Briggs
Tecumseh
Chinese no name

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #9  
Because Honda, Yamaha and Kowasaki are all in the ATV and motorcycle business they would be my first choices. (dealers everywhere)

Robin/Suburu have changed ownership so often that service is not all easy to come by.

Tecumseh no longer exists.

Many Chinese no name are true clones of Honda with parts interchangeability.

I strongly believe Briggs may join Tecumseh. (you'll notice more and more snow blowers and lawn mowers sporting Chinese no name)

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #10  
Keep in mind that there is more than one class of Honda, just like most manufacturers do.