Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: Predator replacement motor from HF

Just bolted on a new Predator 212cc horizontal shaft engine on my 15 year old Generac pressure washer. The old Briggs wouldn't idle/run well at all any more except under heavy load. Unless under load, it yaws up and down as the governor kicks in than out. Took the carb off yesterday and cleaned it up as best I could with no improvement. Thought about getting a new carb for it, but after 15 years of use, I just didn't know how much more life it had. I put a new pump on the unit about two years ago, so a re-power for $99 with coupon seemed worth it, and the reviews on the Predator engines were all good.

So, after a simple swap out and adding oil and gas, it fired up on the first pull. The first thing I noticed, besides how much smoother it ran, was how much quieter it is than the old Briggs Intek. After checking to see that the pump will bolt right on, I left it off for the recommended 3 hour brake in so I didn't have to leave it hooked to my water supply. Hope it powers the pump as well as it runs once I get past the break-in period. (Put an hour on it today before the rain started AGAIN!). So far so good - pretty impressed for the money.

Edit: Posted this here after doing a search on predator engines. Not sure it belongs in the Honda forum, but oh well!
    Last edited by CHDinCT; 06-07-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Wrong forum
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Default Re: Predator replacement motor from HF

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Once the carb's fuel bowl is empty, the motor dies. Somehow, the float assembly is not doing what it's supposed to do. If I disassemble, clean, reassemble, the bowl fills up, the mower starts, then dies after about 30 seconds.

Don't know about the PTO. Didn't realize that's how the drive system worked. Will have to look more closely at that.

Appreciate your insights.
    If your Honda engine is like those I own it has a filter in the gas tank that will become clogged. Look where the gas line is connected to the tank. Is it connected to a hex-headed white plastic connector. If so this is a filter - connector and can be screwed out of the tank for cleaning replacing. From the symptoms you described it sounds like this filter is obstructed. A simple cleaning or replacement of this filter may correct the problems you described.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12