Predator replacement motor from HF

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Howdy, all.

The motor on my trustworthy (12 years) Honda Harmony 215 lawn mower is finally starting to show it's age. Carb isn't working right and is defying my attempts to fix it. While working on it today, I managed to break the starter cord.

This mower used to get a lot of use, but my walk-behind grass cutting needs have dimished. I now only need the lawn mower for light duty service immediately around my cabin. No more than a 15 minute job every two weeks.

So, the choices are:

1. Replace carb and pull cord parts on the Honda. Probably $50, but not a guaranteed fix, if the problem is other wear-related issues on the motor.

2. Buy a cheap push mower at Wally World or Northern Tool.

3. Buy a Predator replacment engine for about $80 after coupon at Harbor Freight. Supposed to be a drop-in replacement.

The appealing thing about the Predator is that the Honda has a plastic (no rust) mower deck, and a three sped rear drive that works well. If the Predator motor is any good and bolts right up, it's the most appealing solution.

Anybody use one of these motors?

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #2  
Lots of people are using them as a repower for the Troybilt tillers great with reviews. The gocart world use them as racing engines wild HP out of a 6 HP block, the "Predator" engine is the new version of the "Greyhound" the used to sell last year. They are similar, look for a review on a gocart site.

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #3  
Where did you find the coupon to get the engine so cheap? Yesterday there was a limited-time coupon to get the 212cc model for $99 but it was in-store only from 4-6pm. From what I hear, they are worth it at that price, and even at the $130 they're on sale for now.

/ Predator replacement motor from HF
Where did you find the coupon to get the engine so cheap? Yesterday there was a limited-time coupon to get the 212cc model for $99 but it was in-store only from 4-6pm. From what I hear, they are worth it at that price, and even at the $130 they're on sale for now.

They are on sale at the web site for $99, and the local store always honors web pricing. 20% coupon on top. Unfortunately, I just checked with the store and they are out of stock and on back order on the web site. Will have to go another route.

Last edited:
   / Predator replacement motor from HF #5  
Complete brain fart... just realized you were talking about the vertical shaft version (lawn mower!).

Good luck in your search!

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #6  
Another option could be (if you can find the Predator) is save the old Honda and if the Predator breaks you probably can bolt the carb and pull starter on the Honda.

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #7  
The carb is pretty simple. I have Hondas older than 10 years old that are well abused that work fine. The pilot tube gets clogged. That is the tube up from the jet. It has been a few years since I fixed one but I think that pilot tube comes out and will clean up after a soaking of laquer thinner or carb cleaner. New starter cord is $5-10. The used and abused oil burning last Honda mower was abandoned when the coil semed to died. Replaced it with another well used Honda mower that needed a new rear axle.

So what are the symtoms of your problem mower? I certainly would not be looking to put a cheap Chinese engine in my mower. Does the Predator engine have a pto for the drive of the Honda?

/ Predator replacement motor from HF
The carb is pretty simple. I have Hondas older than 10 years old that are well abused that work fine. The pilot tube gets clogged. That is the tube up from the jet. It has been a few years since I fixed one but I think that pilot tube comes out and will clean up after a soaking of laquer thinner or carb cleaner. New starter cord is $5-10. The used and abused oil burning last Honda mower was abandoned when the coil semed to died. Replaced it with another well used Honda mower that needed a new rear axle.

So what are the symtoms of your problem mower? I certainly would not be looking to put a cheap Chinese engine in my mower. Does the Predator engine have a pto for the drive of the Honda?

Once the carb's fuel bowl is empty, the motor dies. Somehow, the float assembly is not doing what it's supposed to do. If I disassemble, clean, reassemble, the bowl fills up, the mower starts, then dies after about 30 seconds.

Don't know about the PTO. Didn't realize that's how the drive system worked. Will have to look more closely at that.

Appreciate your insights.

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #9  
Remove gas line from carb, blow out tank from cap with air and fill carb with seafoam, let soak overnight...Remove carb bowl and float, polish (Not Sand) float needle, reassemble and mow on...

/ Predator replacement motor from HF #10  
I have and will buy these engines, I have one now that I need a coil for, all they are is rebadged honda's. My cheapo "chinese" engines have held up great with NO issue's except what I just pointed out. I have run my engines for many hrs in all types of weather{snow rain sun} and have been very pleased. The one that needs the coil has run hard for many years pumping thousands of gallons of water, For the $100.00 it cost I can definately say I got my money's worth.