Any GX gurus out there?

/ Any GX gurus out there? #1  

Steve_Miller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 Kioti CK30HST
I have a Porter Cable 3500watt generator that I bought new in 2005. I bought it because the wife thought we should have a backup if the power were to go out. Power hasn't been out more than a four hour stretch since then. I try to start and run it under load every month or two for a half hour or so and i use two 500 watt quartz lights as a load. Over the past year or so it will start sputtering after a few minutes then quit. One or two pulls and a way she goes again for a minute or two. I can pull the choke on a little to the point where it will run fine but it is getting worse and worse. The only catch is that it will run all day long with no load on it and the choke completely off. I keep the gas level low in the tank and add some fresh stuff each time or two. Anyone have any ideas as I may tackle it myself but have no idea what the cause would be. I would sort of like to have an idea of what it could be if I have to take it to a local shop.

Thanks for any insight
Steve

/ Any GX gurus out there? #2  
Maybe the carb is fouled due to ethanol in the gas. Try giving it a dose of Sea foam and see if that clears it up.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Any GX gurus out there? #3  
Maybe the carb is fouled due to ethanol in the gas. Try giving it a dose of Sea foam and see if that clears it up.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
very good point 05 was a time when alot of the 2 and 4 cycle that dealers had on hand was not equipt for ethanol if it were mine i would change the fuel line from tank to carb

/ Any GX gurus out there? #4  
I have a few GX engines and all seem to be quite reliable, except the one on my Mitsubishi 5800 gen. It "hunts" when not used alot. I keep the governor linkage well lubed and use carb cleaner (both in the tank and spray via the breather) as well. This seems to solve the problem, for awhile.

/ Any GX gurus out there?
Thanks, I'll try some cleaners first.

Steve

/ Any GX gurus out there? #6  
Hi! Before start. Drain carburator (six month) and tank (year) for remove water and dirt. With time condensation make water this one go down in tank and carb. You can use gas stabilizer. I add a pict for help to drain img003.jpg. I make this with my garden tiller for 20-30 years with succes. Good Luck Oldmech

/ Any GX gurus out there? #7  
From you description, there is a fuel flow restriction. Where, it could be several places but from your comment about using the choke to help, tells me I'd look at the carb first.

You might try a chemical treatment first as that's the easiest. I've always been fond of Berrymans B-12 Chem-Tool and have used it many times over the yrs. I think the best shot is to use a heavy dose in the gas, maybe 2X the recommended mixture, then run the engine without a load for maybe an hr. This should dissolve any blockages that are "varnish" like build-ups. Wouldn't hurt to check while running the engine with the fuel mixture by putting a load on it and see if it is running better. But if the blockage is something solid thats has worked it way through the passages and got lodged, it may be necessary to take the carb apart to remove the restriction.

Also, I recommend you either drain the tank and carb between usages or at least use something like Sta-bil in the fuel. I've had good results with Sta-bil.

/ Any GX gurus out there?
Tried the Seafoam and it seemed to have helped quite a bit but it will still buck and backfire under a 2500 watt load after a few minutes then clear itself before repeating again. Will check sediment filter and the inline filter as well. Seems like the heavier the load the quicker it will act up. Leaning to the blockage theory as posted. Will keep you posted.

Thanks
Steve

/ Any GX gurus out there? #9  
Take a look inside your gas tank. I use to leave my Honda very low on gas when I would store it. But I found the inside of the tank started rusting. You could have the intake at the bottom of the tank, the hose, or the carb getting plugged up with rust.

/ Any GX gurus out there? #10  
Dirty carb/fuel system.

Were you treating your fuel prior? I run Supreme with Stabil and a dash of Seafoam in all my small engines and never have a fuel related issue since I began doing that.

We dont have Ethanol here in NS yet (thanks god).

One thing, once you get the generator working again, make sure you exercise it often, I shoot for weekly.