Honda HT3813

/ Honda HT3813 #1  

jackson13

I have a Honda HT3813 with an engine issue. I went to start it up a couple of weeks ago and when I did, it ran like it was starving for air. Going through the routine, I changed the air filter, and plugs (which had a lot of carbon build up). I went to start it up again and the same problem was still there. So, I rebuilt the carb. I put the carb on before I hooked up the air intake and started it up. It ran like a champ. As soon as I connected the air intake the same problem was there. Can anyone lend some help with this?

/ Honda HT3813 #2  
jackson13,

I too have an HT3813, of 1986 vintage. Overall, it's been pretty reliable.

A few years ago, I had problem with the throttle cable sticking. It would engage the choke to start, but would not idle back. Gunk and stuff would get in the cable and keep the throttle from moving to a "normal" running position.

I took the cable off and cleaned it with paint thinner (as in soaked it in a pan of thinner), working the inner part of the cable back and forth, and it freed the cable up considerably. That got me going for a while. I did buy a replacement cable and eventually changed it.

I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem, but you might wish to check it. The cable should move very easily through its jacket. If it's crimped or sticking, it might be keeping the throttle/choke mechanism from working properly.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Honda HT3813 #3  
I had a similar problem with the choke sticking on my '91 4518. I got black smoke and a strange exhaust sound after starting it. Also, a noticable loss of power. Cleaned up the cable and choke mechanism and everything worked fine after.
Good luck, they are a great tractor.
Pacesetter

/ Honda HT3813
Unfortunatley for me, it's not that simple. The throttle cable works fine. I am led to believe from my process of elimination that it's the timing but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to anything else before I tear down the motor. I appreciate your thoughts however.

Thanks

John

/ Honda HT3813 #5  
Does it have plenty of power with the aircleaner off? If so, when you put the a/c on, could it be that you are tightening it such that something is being distorted? Can you see if any linkages are being affected after you put the a/c back on?
(I won't ask if the aircleaner is clean!)

/ Honda HT3813 #6  
Yes I know this thread is very old....but the info maybe helpful to others, so I will post anyway.

We tore down a Honda HT3813 2 cylinder water cooled GA01 engine this past Winter because the engine would choke down and die when the PTO was engaged.
The choking or smothering of these engines is caused by a known issue which is shown below.

Do you think that this may be the reason why??
>
>
>
IMG_5233HT3813_TIMING-WP.jpg

>
>
a badly worn water pump pulley and it caused this......
>
>
>
It's a tad out of time :eek:
Service manual states the the "timing mark" on the block should line up with the "T" on the camshaft pulley..

You can see the crank shaft timing marks are lined up and the cam shaft pulley is 3 notches off.....and the water pump pulley that is badly worn is only available as the whole water pump assembly......can't buy just the pulley.

IMG_5241HT3813_TIMING.jpg

Do not attempt this repair without a service manual for the unit. The area shown is on the rear of the HT3813 engine, several hours of labor involved in accessing the water pump for replacement and re-timing of the engine.

/ Honda HT3813 #7  
My 1987 HT3813 has been a brilliant tool on over 100 hours a year. It now will not start - that is the starter will not turn the engine. All the news is that it's a cow to take the engine out to change the starter motor (which I have obtained from Pa USofA) because they are only available here (Norfolk UK) as original and very pricey Honda parts. Has anyone been through the starter changing fix? Any help would be good. Thanks. Labby