Honda FG100 GX31 sticky intake valve

/ Honda FG100 GX31 sticky intake valve #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Picked up an FG100 tiller from Craigslist on the cheap. Needed a new carb and an air filter. After carb replacement and oil change, the machine started on the first pull and ran like a top. Tilled a 1500 sq. ft. food plot and the machine did a great job.

A week later, went to use the tiller to prepare for some grass planting around the yard. Machine wouldn't start, even with starter fluid. Traced it down to the intake valve being stuck partly open. Managed to get it unstuck with some WD40, and then adjusted the valves while I had the valve cover off.

Machine started right up again. Went and started tilling. Lasted just a few minutes before it died and wouldn't start again. Haven't torn it down yet, but I suspect the intake valve is stuck again. Did a bit of research and found that the GX31 is prone to carbon build up on the valves.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's any way to get to the valve other than a complete teardown. Before I start doing that, wondering if there is anything else to be done to prevent the valve from sticking. Any chemical treatments or additives that work?

Thanks in advance for replies.

/ Honda FG100 GX31 sticky intake valve #2  
Have a B&S L head engine that has the intake valve stick open too. I found that a bit of 2 stroke gasoline helps. I would fill about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank with my chainsaw mix then the balance with regular gasoline. Did it on a whim, found it seems to keep the valve from sticking.