Honda Generator battery operation question

/ Honda Generator battery operation question #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have a Honda EU300is generator that is absolutely a dream machine. Extremely quiet, easy pull start and has an electric key start as well. I finally replaced the dead battery and am wondering what you all think is the frequency and duration of start/runs to keep the battery from going dead? I don't mind pulling it to start but my concern is if I am out of town and we lose power. I don't want my wife to have to pull start it anymore. I suppose I could rig up a battery tender on it just like I do on my tractor (during the winter months) but it doesn't look so easy to run the leads through the case.

Another question while I have you here... I always leave the fuel switch in the 'on' position. Is there any good reason to shut it off when sitting? I want it to be a simple pull the choke and turn the key for the wifey.

/ Honda Generator battery operation question #2  
I have a Honda EU300is generator that is absolutely a dream machine. Extremely quiet, easy pull start and has an electric key start as well. I finally replaced the dead battery and am wondering what you all think is the frequency and duration of start/runs to keep the battery from going dead? I don't mind pulling it to start but my concern is if I am out of town and we lose power. I don't want my wife to have to pull start it anymore. I suppose I could rig up a battery tender on it just like I do on my tractor (during the winter months) but it doesn't look so easy to run the leads through the case.

Another question while I have you here... I always leave the fuel switch in the 'on' position. Is there any good reason to shut it off when sitting? I want it to be a simple pull the choke and turn the key for the wifey.

Saw a unit like that that had a "remote" position on the key switch. Maybe you can rig up a timer and start it one a week via the timet.

/ Honda Generator battery operation question #3  
Since your EU300IS is an inverter generator (like my EU6500IS) you need to keep a charged battery in the machine for it to work correctly. The Honda IS generators make use of the battery to supplement power generation when a load is switched on and the motor must increase the power output. Besides electric starting, the battery can augment the needed power surge source of juice when the generator is idling and a heavy power draw is made. That's what my manual says.

/ Honda Generator battery operation question
Since your EU300IS is an inverter generator (like my EU6500IS) you need to keep a charged battery in the machine for it to work correctly. The Honda IS generators make use of the battery to supplement power generation when a load is switched on and the motor must increase the power output. Besides electric starting, the battery can augment the needed power surge source of juice when the generator is idling and a heavy power draw is made. That's what my manual says.
Hmmm... interesting. I can't find my manual. Will have to dig for it or find online. I finally pulled the old battery because key start was completely dead for several years. It seemed to run fine without battery but maybe I wasn't ever peaking on the load.

/ Honda Generator battery operation question #5  
Every Honda generator that comes in the shop including ours leave with a battery tender on them and I always advise turning the fuel cock off when not in use.

Saw a unit like that that had a "remote" position on the key switch. Maybe you can rig up a timer and start it one a week via the timet.
I like your idea but I don't see any remote option on the face of my unit though. Other problem would be the ventilation. I have it in my tool shed which is common to the house and would need to come up with a way to exhaust it to the outside.

IMG_3474.JPG

Every Honda generator that comes in the shop including ours leave with a battery tender on them and I always advise turning the fuel cock off when not in use.
Thanks Paul. I guess it's time for another trip to Costco for the Battery Tender. I was just now looking at how to route wiring/disconnect and there is a small panel below the large face panel that I could modify I suppose.

Okay found and read the manual on line. Learned something. Shouldn't turn on the Eco-throttle (great feature) until warmed up. Also looked at the maintenance schedule. I guess I should give her some more attention. She sure does purr nice! I also recall a nice outdoor generator storage box that 4shorts built. Might have to resurrect that post/thread.

/ Honda Generator battery operation question #9  
Thanks Paul. I guess it's time for another trip to Costco for the Battery Tender. I was just now looking at how to route wiring/disconnect and there is a small panel below the large face panel that I could modify I suppose.

Just be careful that the tender is an 'intelligent' model. Some cheap 1 amp chargers (like $10.00) are merely a transformer and one diode. Those will eventually boil out the smaller batteries.

/ Honda Generator battery operation question #10  

Shouldn't be too much problem getting the wires routed. I've done them but don't remember the details lol.

Okay found and read the manual on line. Learned something. Shouldn't turn on the Eco-throttle (great feature) until warmed up. Also looked at the maintenance schedule. I guess I should give her some more attention. She sure does purr nice! I also recall a nice outdoor generator storage box that 4shorts built. Might have to resurrect that post/thread.

Do you mean this old thing :cool2:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 426