GSV190 "clacking" under load

/ GSV190 "clacking" under load #1  

freedomlives

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TS35F, Goldoni Special 140 with powered trailer -- Goldoni Special 128 -- Goldoni Uno for mowing -- Czech Vari system
Hi,

I have a Czech two wheel tractor that uses the GSV190 engine. It has a four speed transmission. The GSV190 has a centrifugal clutch on it, which means that shifting is done by bringing the engine down to idle speed, changing the gear, and then accelerating the engine up to a high enough speed for the centrifugal clutch to engage.

I was just on the street with its trailer attached, and I put the transmission to the highest speed and accelerated, fairly quickly, the engine. It is far from the first time I have done this, because otherwise there seems to be a lot of clutch slippage. But subsequent to this, I noticed a clacking noise when the engine would be under load-- e.g. driving on any even slight uphill slope.

Could the cam belt have slipped? Is there anything else that could have been damaged?

I'm going to pull the cover, but I have to wait for the engine to cool down...

Thanks for any advice!

/ GSV190 "clacking" under load
Maybe I should have tried the power unit on another transmission before pulling the valve cover (the Vari two wheel tractor system uses three separate transmissions that the motor gets swapped between depending on the task!). Anyway, the timing looks right, and when I put it on the small transmission (for the cutter bar mower, hayrake snow plow, etc.) and tried to put as much load on it, I didn't get any funny sound. So must be something wrong in the transmission. :-(