RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts

/ RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts #1  

Frank Hale

Tractor
Honda RT 5000
I found a CD coil to replace the obsolete/failed on my RT 5000 BanGood.com (Amazon) Product No 975502 SKU 220424. This was made for a GY650cc 125cc 150cc 4 stroke Chinese motor bike etc. Comes with a coil and spark plug which I did not use. It is slightly larger than the original but fits without the rubber mount. Identical connector plugs in and fired off with the first try.

I replaced the combination relay for the failed starter relay with a MTD/Murry solenoid by Driveworks No DW-755 and a push button starer switch Autocraft No 85935 both purchased from Advance Auto Supply. The MTD/Murry mounts on the two studs above the starter that support the air cleaner. The bracket slots fit the stud pattern no drilling or mounting problems.

Obsolete belt replacements. Replaced the Honda 76182-752-831 PTO to mower that is obsolete with an Amazon from Offroad Belts Kubota LB 89. Part No on the belt is 泥&D MegaPower Drive BK87 5L900 21/32 x 90 2011-11 This is the only belt I have tried that lasted a season and is still on the Mid Mount Mower MM 46A.

I am using a Gates 2940 94 x 1/2 for the mower blades drive

/ RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts #2  
Just wondering if "Frank" is still around!

I noticed you commented on the "combination relay" in your post. I have been battling an intermittent issue with the combination relay module on my Honda RT5000 for some time now, but since it is "obsolete", I am not sure what can be done about it.

The service manual indicates it has functions associated with the buzzer, starter and ignition. My issue is with the ignition function where I loose spark on occasion, motor cranks over just fine, but there is no spark. I can usually remove and heat the module up and it will start functioning again (spark comes back and tractor runs fine) but sooner or later it stops working again. There does not appear to be any pattern to the failure.

I have considered cutting the box open to see if I can duplicate the circuitry with replacement relays but since it still works to some extent, and is my only module, I am hesitant.

Just wondering if you (or anyone else who has had this issue) found some fix or alternative to resolve the problem.

Thanks!

/ RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts
I sold the RT5000 in September along with the Repair Manual that had a wiring diagram for the entire tractor and the parts list and paper work I accumulated since I purchased the unit so I do not have the paperwork to refresh my memory. I considered repairing or building a combination relay, had contacted Honda about a schematic for the combination relay, was told it is not available. The repair manual has a schematic that shows how the relay is connected to the rest of the engine but nothing on the inside of the relay box. DGMAX are you sure the relay is the problem. I had the intermittent and the failure was the CD Coil that was fired through the comb. relay. If I was thinking about circumventing the relay I would purchase one of the Chinese CD Coil, wire it to the engine bypassing the relay. You should be able to determine which wire in the circuit is power, ground return, from the 2 magnetos on the flywheel and the coil itself. By using a Chinese CD with a cost of about $12.00 you avoid the possibility of ruining your existing coil. In the case of the starter, the comb. relay was a safety item that prevented starting the engine unless it was in neutral and the pto's disengaged. What I did bypassed all of that so the engine now cranks when you push an auxiliary starter button so extra care is required but it works. Since the Chinese are using the same coil they may also have a relay box similar to Honda that could be substituted.

Frank

/ RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts #4  
I knew it would be a long shot, but great to hear from you!!

After much research and testing, (including the experiences of many other such as yourself), I am pretty sure it is the relay box that is giving me issues. The symptoms pretty much match what others have described, "no spark when cranking over, but will spark once or twice when the key is released to the run position".

I have the service manual and you are correct, it is pretty detailed but just does not show how the internals of the combination relay is wired. It does have a couple testing steps that may help determine the circuitry layout, I just have not taken the time to try and get it on paper. I am pretty sure it can be duplicated.

I have considered re-configuring the ignition system to be a basic stop/start/run circuit but have not yet done so. Do you happen to have a link to the "Chinese CD Coil" you refer to which you had success with on the Honda GX340 motor? Just want to be sure I am on the right path.

Thanks a bunch!

/ RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts
I knew it would be a long shot, but great to hear from you!!

After much research and testing, (including the experiences of many other such as yourself), I am pretty sure it is the relay box that is giving me issues. The symptoms pretty much match what others have described, "no spark when cranking over, but will spark once or twice when the key is released to the run position".

I have the service manual and you are correct, it is pretty detailed but just does not show how the internals of the combination relay is wired. It does have a couple testing steps that may help determine the circuitry layout, I just have not taken the time to try and get it on paper. I am pretty sure it can be duplicated.

I have considered re-configuring the ignition system to be a basic stop/start/run circuit but have not yet done so. Do you happen to have a link to the "Chinese CD Coil" you refer to which you had success with on the Honda GX340 motor? Just want to be sure I am on the right path.

Thanks a bunch!

The web site is

capicitance discharge ignition coils - Buy Cheap capicitance discharge ignition coils - From Banggood

They have lots of other "stuff" there along with the orange box that I used. They also have several other ignition boxes with the same connector pattern. I saw one ignition coil with a starter relay as part of the kit. The wires on the relay looked like they would fit the 2 prong section of the cd box. I did not see a relay box on the site. I purchased 2 other cd boxes with the same connector pattern. The first one I tried worked so I did not try the others. I used the cd box that was orange color and came with an orange coil I did not try. They went to the purchaser of the tractor along with the spare belts, blades and wheel chains for snow. I did one other thing. I unscrewed the plug that goes on the spark plug and removed the noise suppression resistor replacing it with a piece of metal rod the same diameter and length as the resistor. There is one other option

contact customer service cservice@banggood.com they might be able to help

Good Luck, you will need all you can get trying to replace obsolete parts.

Frank

/ RT5000 Obsolete replacement parts #9  
I have purchased stuff from Banggood before with good results. So far I have been able to do like you did when I needed a replacement part, just do a little homework/research and find a current, readily available part and make minor mods as needed to accommodate it. I bought the RT new back in the late 80s, and the little Honda has been great, I really have not had too many issues with it. Although my first replacement part shock was when the stock starter solenoid went bad, dealer wanted something like 60 bucks (back in the 90s) for the stock replacement! I ended up just installing an automotive type solenoid (around 10 bucks) and it has been fine ever since. I did mod the 3 point hitch to accommodate Cat 1 implements when I found the Cat 0 stuff to be limited. That was soon after I bought the tractor.

Anyway, I kinda went off the subject! Sorry! Thanks for the links and info. Right now the RT is running fine, but I'm sure I will be back messing with the relay box again soon. I know should take it off and try to ohm out the contacts/circuit while it is operating properly, its just hard to tear it apart when it is running fine! LOL