Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #1  

TheDevilYouLove

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901HST
I went to the dump last Friday to throw away my old hot water heater that blew up, and low and behold when I pulled up to the metal recycling pile this Honda HR214 was sitting there. Someone must have just dropped it off. This mower is from the 80s or 90s and they don't make them like this anymore. The entire deck is aluminum and will not rust, the engine is a commercial version. It is equipped with electric start (even has the keys) but the battery is dead and a replacement battery is cost prohibitive. This was probably an expensive mower in it's day- the current 21" 4HP mower with electric start that Honda sells brand new today is $850 at Home Depot.

Here's the kicker- I put gas in it since the tank was bone dry and it fired right up on the first pull. I ordered about $50 worth of new parts for it (blade, plugs, air filter) and it needs a new cable for the hi/lo range speed control. Very happy with this mower, I hope to keep it for a long time!

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #2  
I went to the dump last Friday to throw away my old hot water heater that blew up, and low and behold when I pulled up to the metal recycling pile this Honda HR214 was sitting there. .......
Oops, that accidentally fell off my truck when I was at the dump. Please post your address so I can come and pick it up. :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #3  
Now that is a find! I wonder what idiot threw that thing away?? I'd wager it's far better than the Hondas you can buy today, and they're already some of the best mowers around.

My old Honda mower always fired up on the first pull no matter what. Always. My new one has automatic choke and it's not nearly as consistent.

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #4  
I had one just like that and it ran like a top for 14 years. It still runs, but the grandson ran over a piece of metal in the yard next door and bent the crank. Like I said, it still runs, but with the bent crank, it sounds horrible and the vibration is terrible. Right now it's sitting in the barn and I may put a new Honda engine on it this winter. All in all, one great tough mower

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #5  
Now that is a find! I wonder what idiot threw that thing away??

I'd say it was someone on drugs. They don't care where that next fix comes from.

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #6  
I had one just like that and it ran like a top for 14 years. It still runs, but the grandson ran over a piece of metal in the yard next door and bent the crank. Like I said, it still runs, but with the bent crank, it sounds horrible and the vibration is terrible. Right now it's sitting in the barn and I may put a new Honda engine on it this winter. All in all, one great tough mower
When I was a kid, I worked in a lawnmower shop. We use to straighten the cranks right on the machine. We had a clamp device that bolted to the base. It had a big screw that pushed against the crank to bend it back. Worked pretty well - at least better than a big hammer. :laughing:

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #7  
My friend went to school with the city re-cycle yard manager.
You just cant believe what folks toss out!

So far this summer he has recuperated about 6-7 compressors*, 5 lawn mowers, 3 snow blowers and enough brake fluid, tremclad paint, varnishes and cleaning supplies to open a store.
Most compressors were an easy fix, lawn mowers only needed a tune up and blade sharpening.
Labor being what it is folks think that because it is 4-5 year sold they are better off to buy new, besides not many younger homeowners
are handy.
I got me a 32" 12 HP snow blower that only need a carb cleaning and 2 bolts. Otherwise perfect! (this came from a hotel that has no 'handy man' so they bought new.)

Another guy I know volunteers at a homeless center and came home with his and hers winter coats that cost the previous owners about $800 each.(he paid a few $$)
True he volunteers in a very affluent area.
The center were heaving out a 48" LCD TV as they could not get it to play, well it was not a TV but display for CC monitors and was perfect!

*most common problem is rusty crap clogging the pressure control switch!

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #8  
When I lived in Northumberland County Virginia the local transfer station invited a community group to build a "good stuff" shed. For things that were too nice to throw away, but hard to sell or the owner could not fix. It was very popular on the drop off side and even more popular on the "look what I got" side.

/ Found this sweet Honda HR214 in the dump #10  
I was at Menards a while back picking up some metal in the yard behind the store and noticed all the display deer stands in the dumpsters. I asked the kid at the yard gate and he said they throw out displays and any store returns and nobody gets to take them. I bet someone at the landfill has noticed.