Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt?

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #1  

Zumdahl

Tractor
Ford 860
Good evening!

I'm in the process of getting an older FRC800 tiller back into working condition and need to purchase a new belt. From what I can tell, I'm looking at Honda 22431-765-631 also called 'SB-48'.
Holy crap does the local place want a lot of cash for the specific Honda belt.

Anyone's Google skills better than mine and able to figure out the actual belt dimensions, so that I can go with a typical blue Kevlar belt?

I've only been able to find on one or two websites, and nothing seems official. One website lists SB-48 as "Length 49", Width 0.66".
The 0.66" sounds like a "B" or "5L" belt, but does the "48" translate to a 48" O.D. belt? Feels odd that the only site I can find lists it as 49".

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #2  
I assume that you are using this site: Main Belts Sizes Reference You can take it a step further and use a drop down box for the width, put in the 49 and it gives a list of OEM belts with a similar dimension. .66 would likely qualify as a 5L- 5/8" inch belt is you went and grabbed a Gates green , but you may be able to do better.

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #3  
So I've been to the Napa parts store twice now, and am totally frustrated. Like the OP, sticker shock with the Honda OEM belts online.

Honda tiller FRC800, serial number 1010529. Engine # GC04 4851377

That being said, my local Napa ordered SB-45 v belt, (may have cross referenced wrong part#), it was way too tight. Then ordered the SB48 belt referenced above, and also listed by OP, and was shown in a Honda exploded parts view diagram/parts list that I looked at. It's way too loose.

Original belt is worn and almost broken in two, has a couple unreadable numbers on the inside of the belt.

Any and all suggestions would be graciously accepted as far as how to get a belt with a proper fit. Sadly there's no small engine repair shop in this one horse town.

thanks in advance....

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #4  
Take the old belt to your local hardware store, have them match up the length and width. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Richard

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #5  
Take the old belt to your local hardware store, have them match up the length and width. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Richard

Agree with this.

If you have any equipment repair shops around, doesn’t matter what brand, they may have a belt that matches. Tractor Supply sometimes has generic parts too.

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #6  
That belt is that price because it is somewhat of a specialty dimension. Standard B belts are 21/32 by 7/16 or .65625 x .4375 A 5L is 21/32 x 3/8 or .65625 x .375 the Honda belt is 16.7 x 9 or .65625 x .35433 or 21/32 by 23/64 width and height. So even though a B and the 5L are the correct width they both have too tall of a profile to properly fit the pulleys on the tiller. Now the taller belt my fit down into the pulley groove further and still work or maybe it won't and will fail shortly after being installed.

/ Honda FRC800 Tiller, Aftermarket Belt? #7  
The Honda p/n appears to be available on ebay for around $19, but you've found the SB-48 equiv which seems too large. Is there an adjustable idler that can be repositioned to take up some slack? That would be my angle of attack, either modify it to work with the belts you have in hand by altering pulley size or positioning.