Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki?

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #1  

MBDiagMan

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045D, Grasshopper 61" with PowerVac,Gator 825i, Cub Cadet 2145
The M48 is offered with a Kawasaki or a Honda engine. I have read on another forum about problems with plastic timing gears on the Kawasaki engine. Does the Honda have any similar achilles heels?

Anyone with personal experience with either of these engines?

Any dealers seen more problems with one over the other?

Thanks for your responses and have a great day,
Doc

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #2  
I wouldn't know, but there seemed to be good discussion a while back about that plastic gear; supposedly it was a short lived problem.

Plastic Gear Discussion

Does that mean you're planning to trade the ZF for a Tank! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Want to buy one for me too? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #3  
I order all mine with the Kaws, they have been great for us. Plus the Kaws parts are less expensive and more places carry parts for the Kaws then the Hondas.

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki?
Spiffy,

I took the Z Force back and left it at the dealer Friday. It uses almost a pint of oil per hour. I was also VERY disappointed with how tough it is to remove and replace the blades. I am going to check it out, but I think the Tank has a tilt up floor deck to allow spindle access to ease blade changing.

Anyway the oil usage and head gasket thing has really soured me. Apparantly the head gasket is leaking now, so it will probably leak again in the future. My goal is to have a mower that I can use for the long haul plus I am planning on cleaning up some areas on my place and be mowing quite a bit more area. In a couple of years I will probably be mowing about 3 acres. I just feel like the M48 will stay under me for a much longer time once my hour usage goes up.

At this point I'm just studying the idea. I noticed a sign out front of the dealer when I was driving away that said "0% 36 Months Tank. I have no idea if they will give me a decent trade, but if I can do it using someone elses money it might be an attractive thing to do.

Have a great day,
Doc

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #5  
wood rather have a honda if i was buying one

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #6  
Always had good luck with Honda motors.

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #7  
Honda because the carbs don't get mucked up so they always start . Also if you are cheap you can get Chinese parts for the Honda's:eek:

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #8  
yep great carburetors. engines very rearly let you down

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #9  
well my 2 cents would be for Kawasaki I have owned Kawasaki's since I was 14 many Bikes they had a lot and i mean a lot of very hot suppers and never let me down.

/ Which Engine Best, Honda or Kawasaki? #10  
I have had good luck with both in the 16 to 20 hp region. In the 5 to 6 hp range I like Honda. My 20 hp V-twin Honda has always had idling problems. A dealer told me it was systemic.

Andy