New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten!

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #1  

Slacker

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 TLB
Bought a used Honda Eu2000i genny off Craigslist this past weekend. The older man that owned it purchased it for RV camping but always had an AC hookup so it didn't get used.
So far, i'm impressed with it. Runs the fridge and all the lights without a problem.
Fridge draws 560 watts constant and close to 1000 watts on startup. That leaves 600 watts for lights, microwave etc. The unit is very quiet, uses 1 gal of gas in 12 hours at 1/4 load. (but only 4 hrs at full load). I may make an aux gas tank for it (boat gas tank should work). Not having to store 50 gals of gas is a big plus. My 5500 watt coleman runs at 3600 rpm and drink the fuel.
We are close to Duke Hospital so power outages are short, but long enough for the ice cream to melt...can't have that! ;-)

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #2  
I'm up in Buffalo, and we got hit really hard this past Oct. with outages -- we were 7 days without power -- it was like a mental Vietnam --

:(

We had a generator, the big-*** types that sound like a jet plane in the driveway --

-- after that lesson, I bought me two 2000i's and the parallel kit --

-- you're right, they run like babies -- I am going to break mine in 20 hours with regular dino oil, and then switch over to mobil 1 --

-- don't forget to put fuel conditioner in if she sits at all --

Also, I look forward to using it back at my pond, etc. -- anywhere I need power --

-- they're amazing little units -- too bad we Americans lost the ability to make small 4-strokes like that -- :(

Anyway, a good buy on your side -- :D I looked at the 3000s, and they're way too bulky --

eric

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #3  
The only bugger is that they don't provide 220 volt power. Some generator hookups to homes, like mine, split the phases just like grid power to provide 110 volt juice to various circuits. So your stuck with a 220 genset for home use. BUT the eu2000i is the cat's meow for extension cord power, camping, and remote use. Just being able to pick it up and carry it like a lunchbox is a huge deal.

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #4  
Highbeam said:
The only bugger is that they don't provide 220 volt power. Some generator hookups to homes, like mine, split the phases just like grid power to provide 110 volt juice to various circuits. So your stuck with a 220 genset for home use. BUT the eu2000i is the cat's meow for extension cord power, camping, and remote use. Just being able to pick it up and carry it like a lunchbox is a huge deal.

A boost transformer- 120V/240.. The only problem I have found with invertor type generators (I had the 3000ui) is very poor start up power unless you take it off eco throttle. They are very nice. US engine manufactuers make decent engines, they just don't make invertor type generators. They cater to the masses who shop price and don't give a hoot about sound. We have lots of those types here. I would say the majority of people here are price driven first. Look at the numbers who buy Generac etc. Could they make a generator any louder?

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #5  
Got one myself and they are nice.

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #6  
_RaT_ said:
Look at the numbers who buy Generac etc. Could they make a generator any louder?

Of course they could... But it would cost more:)

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #7  
I've had one for four years now and love it. I have the Miller Trailblazer as a power source but occasionally I need more than what a cordless can deliver and I don't want the noise of the Trailblazer. So I pull out the Honda and get a/c for the saw or grinder.

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #8  
-- they're amazing little units -- too bad we Americans lost the ability to make small 4-strokes like that -- :(

I thought the Honda 4 stroke engines were made in America now?

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #9  
Oleozz said:

I thought the Honda 4 stroke engines were made in America now?

mine says "made in japan" all over it --

-- and if it were made in the USA, it's still of Japanese engineering and statistical process control.

If we Americans can make a 4-stroke like a Honda, I'm surprised none of us has -- I mean, Honda is the unquestioned leader in 4-strokes, and B&S, etc., hasn't even attempted to make one close to a Honda --

-- also, statistical process control, quality, etc aren't something you can buy -- ask mighty (?) GM that -- they tried in the 80s and failed -- it's a cultural thing -- it pervades an organization.

/ New genny Honda Eu2000i model. Purrs like a kitten! #10  
eric and his rtv said:
mine says "made in japan" all over it --

-- and if it were made in the USA, it's still of Japanese engineering and statistical process control.

If we Americans can make a 4-stroke like a Honda, I'm surprised none of us has -- I mean, Honda is the unquestioned leader in 4-strokes, and B&S, etc., hasn't even attempted to make one close to a Honda --

-- also, statistical process control, quality, etc aren't something you can buy -- ask mighty (?) GM that -- they tried in the 80s and failed -- it's a cultural thing -- it pervades an organization.

I do like Honda 4 strokes best for small engines, but to say that the B&S aren't even close. They finally started making some that have at the very least gotten closer. OHV being one of the hurdles as well as finally getting a carburator that is worth a darn. A rope start that is better then their past attempts. I would put Kohler somewhere between Honda and B&S. I have 5 Hondas everywhere from a 13 HP down to a 3.5 HP and 2 Kohlers, a 14 HP and a 8 HP. The two oldest are Kohlers but start as easy and have by far the most hours and toughest hours. All are quite loud.