New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #101  
Hey Jim fwtw thats not always the case although Husky put the chain they wanted on them 3/8 works fine long as its reasonable length.

I switched my 346 to 3/8 because I wanted to have one setting on my chain grinder for all my saws and one type chain to buy, not everyone may feel like doing this but I did.

My saw still screams however I run it with a 16" bar which I think is ideal for this saw no matter what pitch chain is used.

Granted the .325 narrow kerf is smoother and arguably faster (I dont see it but...) the difference is negligible to me and being able to sharpen it along with my big saws is a huge time saver. :thumbsup:

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
Hey Jim fwtw thats not always the case although Husky put the chain they wanted on them 3/8 works fine long as its reasonable length.

I switched my 346 to 3/8 because I wanted to have one setting on my chain grinder for all my saws and one type chain to buy, not everyone may feel like doing this but I did.

My saw still screams however I run it with a 16" bar which I think is ideal for this saw no matter what pitch chain is used.

Granted the .325 narrow kerf is smoother and arguably faster (I dont see it but...) the difference is negligible to me and being able to sharpen it along with my big saws is a huge time saver. :thumbsup:

I talked with a few chainsaw places and they told me what I had previously posted. Being a mechanic and machinist I could see what they were saying and how a bigger tooth would take a bigger chip and slow the saw down. I have not tried a 3/8's chain on either of my 346xp's to see if there is a difference. I did have a chain wear out on me a few months back. It was replaced with a standard .325 chain because that was all I had laying around at the time, not a narrow kerf. I used both of my saws yesterday because I haven't had them running in a few months. I like to keep them running as much as possible due to the crap gas we now have. The standard chain is not as fast as the other saw with the narrow kerf chain. The RPM's are not up there like on the other saw unless I back off on my cutting. This weekend I will be replacing that standard chain with a narrow kerf chain. Both of these saws are running 18" bars.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #103  
I have a wooded lot about 3ac full of large oaks there are some that are to close to the house and I would like to take down.. I also heat our house with a wood stove. I cut a lot of wood for neihboring property owners as well most are ageing.
I thought the right saw for me was the Husky359 but after all the problems I have had with my Husky 445 Im hesitent to buy a non XP saw.

I dont want to regret not having the extra cc of the 359 but Im leaning towars the 346XP. I felt both saws at the dealer and like the compactness of the 346XP. I know that either way I will be happy because the 445 leaves a lot to be desired. for example (a single bar nut tensioner??) In my defense when I bought the 445 I was not doing anywhere near the cutting I do now..

If I were to go with the 346XP would you guys recomend changing over to a 3/8 chain>?

please advise...

I have the 357xp with 3/8" chain on a 20" bar and the saw handles it just fine. If I had to choose only one saw, thank god I don't, it would be the 357xp, has enough grunt to cut through 2' plus oak yet light enough to limb with after the tree is down.

I have the 357xp with 3/8" chain on a 20" bar and the saw handles it just fine. If I had to choose only one saw, thank god I don't, it would be the 357xp, has enough grunt to cut through 2' plus oak yet light enough to limb with after the tree is down.

It would be great if we could buy just one saw that did it all. There was a time when just about all my wood was cut with a 55 Rancher. By the end of the day that saw was heavy and I was wiped out. Now I use my 372xp for the felling and cutting of large trees. I can't use a heavy saw for limbing or cutting up small firewood like I used to. I was so glad when I found out about the newer 346xp. I can cut wood with this saw all day long without wiping myself out. It starts on the first or second pull when using the primer bulb. If Husky or anyone could make a saw as light as the 346xp with the power of the 372xp I would be very happy.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #105  
I have a wooded lot about 3ac full of large oaks there are some that are to close to the house and I would like to take down.. I also heat our house with a wood stove. I cut a lot of wood for neihboring property owners as well most are ageing.
I thought the right saw for me was the Husky359 but after all the problems I have had with my Husky 445 Im hesitent to buy a non XP saw.

I dont want to regret not having the extra cc of the 359 but Im leaning towars the 346XP. I felt both saws at the dealer and like the compactness of the 346XP. I know that either way I will be happy because the 445 leaves a lot to be desired. for example (a single bar nut tensioner??) In my defense when I bought the 445 I was not doing anywhere near the cutting I do now..

If I were to go with the 346XP would you guys recomend changing over to a 3/8 chain>?

please advise...

Hello, I have a NE346,359,and 372 and the 346 gets the most use its my go-to saw I love it and its got 3/8 on it now so I can sharpen and buy one type chain.

With that said dont think for a minute a 359 is a slouch of a saw. Its got every feature an XP does right down to the muffler brace and magnesium case the only thing I see with it is its heavy its almost as heavy as a 372 with a lot less power. It doesn't make much sense I have both but I got a good deal on the 359. :D

I have rarely used my 359 its a spare big saw for when I have help otherwise the 346 has taken over all my firewood duty except the big trees and then its 372. The 372 is as much performance as the 346 in a larger package not a home owner saw in other words.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #106  
I understand what you saying. from reading this thread it seem some have gone from a 455rancher to the 346 and have been amazed. The price diffrence from the 346xp to the 372 or even the 357 is large but that being said they are two diffrent classes of saws. Most of you guys have said you have a 372 or a 357 but only break it out when you have really large wood to fell or buck. The question is would the 346 be up to the task of the occasional 20''-24'' tree?

Im sure it will be much more willing than my current saw which is a 445. Wich i over heated once last year while bucking a 24'' oak tree. yes the chain was sharp i think i just over work the little saw..

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #107  
The question is would the 346 be up to the task of the occasional 20''-24'' tree?

Absolutely its not ideal but having 1 saw do it all the 346 is real close to perfect imo. Make sure you get one w/o the cat if you can find one otherwise thats the first thing to go. (green gas cap is the cat equipt models fyi) And the difference between the 445 and this saw will be something like comparing a citation to a corvette. :)

You can have the best of both worlds if you want to stay with the .325 and get a good semi chisel chain from Baileys. The 95VP narrow kerf safety chain they come with is a poor chain for a saw with this much get up and go plus they dull easy imho.

I have gotten to the point I am even felling the bigger ones like that with my 346 w/16" bar taking my cuts from both sides as necessary and then bucking them with the 372 its so much easier on the shoulders.

There is no reason why you can't cut a 24 inch tree with your 346xp. Just don't expect the saw to cut it like a 372xp would. Let the saw do the work and not you back. Don't force the saw. If you have to force it there is something wrong. I use chisel tooth chains on all my xp saws. They in my opinion are the best cutting chain on the market. Yes, they do dull fast if you hit any grit, stones, or whatever. But when they are sharp watch the chips fly. Husky also reccomends running 89 octane or better in their saws. I run high test in mine.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #109  
Absolutely its not ideal but having 1 saw do it all the 346 is real close to perfect imo. Make sure you get one w/o the cat if you can find one otherwise thats the first thing to go. (green gas cap is the cat equipt models fyi) And the difference between the 445 and this saw will be something like comparing a citation to a corvette. :)

You can have the best of both worlds if you want to stay with the .325 and get a good semi chisel chain from Baileys. The 95VP narrow kerf safety chain they come with is a poor chain for a saw with this much get up and go plus they dull easy imho.

I have gotten to the point I am even felling the bigger ones like that with my 346 w/16" bar taking my cuts from both sides as necessary and then bucking them with the 372 its so much easier on the shoulders.

I feel as though the 346 will be a good fit but I may hold out and see what the summer brings. perhaps Ill end up with the 357xp. I will look at the non cat version, is theres a way to order one that is non cat? Or is this something I would have to mod. after the fact? I remember the 359 I was looking at had the green gas cap. Looks like Ill have to go to the husky dealer again. ;)

Last edited:
   / New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #110  
I feel as though the 346 will be a good fit but I may hold out and see what the summer brings. perhaps Ill end up with the 357xp. I will look at the non cat version, is theres a way to order one that is non cat? Or is this something I would have to mod. after the fact? I remember the 359 I was looking at had the green gas cap. Looks like Ill have to go to the husky dealer again. ;)

The 357 is possibly going to be more a one saw fits all in your case its a very good 60cc class saw. fyi its the same chassis and basic engine as a 359 just more performance and money.

It will definitely do bigger stuff easier than the 346 no doubt just heavier and that is more a consideration as you get older believe me. Wagging a big saw around for trimming is a pain bucking is different there weight is your friend.

As far as cats go my 359 had the green cap I bought a 357 muffler from Baileys and adjusted my carb a little bit and made it a different saw you can do that with any Husky.

Ask your dealer for the non-cat models or search the internet. Husky quit letting dealers sell Pro saws online awhile back I dont know if thats still the case or not???