Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

Default Re: New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Car Doc View Post
    Oh man if you only knew...we had trimming chores from hades one spring after the worst ice and snow storm in 50 years when I buggered my knee one time.

We had 6" rain then hard freeze then 12" snow all in a weekend in December it broke down branches off every tree on my property. Come spring I took 13 car trailer loads clear full and strapped down off my 1 acre homestead. About as badly tangled on the ground all over the place as an old growth un-used forest area.

Yeah I was tired all right completely worn out fact wagging the 372 day after day trimming branches. If (famous last words) I would have had the little 346 back then it would have been absolutely no work at all as it was I had no choice all I had was one big saw to do it all live and learn.
    Did it look like this mess? This was our ice storm of 2008. It wiped out our 36 acre woodlot, our back yard and the trees on our farm next door. The picture with the tree sitting on top of the tree truck is funny. They had just stopped when the tree fell on their truck. The tree you see cut down in the foreground that is on the wires was removed by me about and hour before this picture was taken. I cut that while standing in the bucket of my tractor. I was trying to open up our road. We lost out power for almost a week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes-dsc04930-jpg   New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes-img_1580-jpg   New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes-img_1621-jpg   New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes-img_1624-jpg  
    Last edited by JimR; 02-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Cub Cadet 7275, FEL, RFD2584 mower, Box Blade, Scaper Blade, York Rake, Snowblower, Rototiller, Stump grinder, Wood Chipper and a Post Hole Digger.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Yeah it sure did what a mess!

I cant find any pics to share I took a bunch because its so hard to describe w/o seeing it. I am really bummed about that too because I had some good ones now I need to remember what I did with them.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    none now

Ice storms are my worst fear to deal with. Been a few years since we lost power due to one for a week or so now.
    Watched the limbs out front take the power right out. Sure wish back in the day they would have used underground wiring, but that wasnt the case in the 1900's when this place was built.

I'm also the last house on my own transformer way off the road.

REDNECK Chainsaw Repair

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

I cut pro for more than 10 years and still remove trees as a side job [like I need more things to do]. The 346 will run a 16" bar and a 3/8 chain. Modded the little saw is as strong as a good running 357. I run a 18" with a 3/8 chain on my modded one. I actually just sold my 357 to a buddie because it was sitting too much. A 357 is one of the best all around saws for a 1 saw plan. JMHO/experience. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

What exactly did you do to your 346xp to mod it?
    Cub Cadet 7275, FEL, RFD2584 mower, Box Blade, Scaper Blade, York Rake, Snowblower, Rototiller, Stump grinder, Wood Chipper and a Post Hole Digger.

Tractor
    none now

Most people do whats called a woods port. Opening exhaust port, intake port, some change port timing, some work over transfers, some do pop up domed pistons, some cut squish bands, also cutting off base of cylinder to get tighter squish and more psi, etc etc and add then for a final touch add a 357 carb.

Some stop at just a muffler mod which helps too. Just be sure to do a carb retune afterwords.
    REDNECK Chainsaw Repair

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

I can see where all of that would lead to a high performance saw. Thanks for the info.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Quote Originally Posted by xyz123 View Post
    Most people do whats called a woods port. Opening exhaust port, intake port, some change port timing, some work over transfers, some do pop up domed pistons, some cut squish bands, also cutting off base of cylinder to get tighter squish and more psi, etc etc and add then for a final touch add a 357 carb.

Some stop at just a muffler mod which helps too. Just be sure to do a carb retune afterwords.
    Yep all of the above except the popup, would rather cut the jug and comb chamber than use a popup. Don't forget the aircleaner the 346 stock one is poor. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I am in the buy a stock high performance saw and leave it alone crowd.

If a person likes messing with small engines a 346 would be an awesome platform to start with no doubt. But I like not working on small engines and I want complete reliability and besides that I like quiet at least stock muffler quiet, hotrod saws are loud. ymmv
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    none now

Quote Originally Posted by xyz123 View Post
    some cut squish bands,
    Quote Originally Posted by CJONE View Post
    would rather cut the jug and comb chamber than use a popup. Don't forget the aircleaner the 346 stock one is poor. CJ
    It was there you just missed it.

I have never had a problem just using the 346 air filter set up on mine with 357 carb and OE 45cc, the 357 surface area would be a plus but isnt needed in my case. My 45cc pulls 3/8 full comp chain just fine too.

Any video of your 346 in the cut?
    REDNECK Chainsaw Repair

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast