New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #131  
I am in the buy a stock high performance saw and leave it alone crowd.

If a person likes messing with small engines a 346 would be an awesome platform to start with no doubt. But I like not working on small engines and I want complete reliability and besides that I like quiet at least stock muffler quiet, hotrod saws are loud. :D ymmv

I used to be also but after having somebody who knew what they were doing mod my 372 I am sold. I now understand why alot of fallers have modded saws. 30% faster is not uncommon and it makes a difference at the end of the day. CJ

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #132  
It was there you just missed it. ;)

I have never had a problem just using the 346 air filter set up on mine with 357 carb and OE 45cc, the 357 surface area would be a plus but isnt needed in my case. My 45cc pulls 3/8 full comp chain just fine too.

Any video of your 346 in the cut?

No vids yet, the saw still is a little low on compression at 170psi. The builder said he may have to recut if it does not come up after break in. My 372 took almost 20 tanks for the compression to come up. I am at about 15 tanks in the little saw. He is shooting for 200+, the 372 has almost 210. If you go to ecsaws on youtube he has a ported 346 there. Mine actually revs harder than that one, my guess because the comp has not come up yet. CJ

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #134  
sorry to reply to a slightly old thread, but i can't seem to find this info anywhere...

there should be no problem sharpening a .325 chain on a cheap harbor freight sharpener that is used for 3/8 (1/8" wheel)? as far as i can tell, the only difference is the pitch and all the other angles are the same? so when going from sharpening a 3/8 chain to a .325 chain, you would just have to adjust the chain stop closer to close the length difference between the two pitches?

looking at a 346xp, which is how i got here...i was unaware that there were so many different chains! right now, it's between the 346xp and ms261....leaning towards the husky at this point.

thanks.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
The best thing to do is try both saws out if possible in the same piece of wood. I'll stick by my little 346xp's as being a couple of mean wood cutting machines.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #136  
sorry to reply to a slightly old thread, but i can't seem to find this info anywhere...

looking at a 346xp, which is how i got here...i was unaware that there were so many different chains! right now, it's between the 346xp and ms261....leaning towards the husky at this point.

thanks.
The ms261 is a good saw, but the 346xp is smaller, a bit lighter, and more of a Hot Rod. I've been running a 346xp almost 12 years in semi commercial use (firewood/logging/clearing) and it's still going strong. Liked it so much, I bought another one a couple years ago.

I also have a 357xp, 562xp, 359 and a highly modified 75cc 365. But the 346 is my favorite and possibly the best saw ever made.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #137  
+1. Nothing wrong with Stihl but if those are the choices its definitely the Husky that particular saw the 346 either NE or OE are screamers.

As far as chains yes there are a bunch. I run 3/8 Baileys 30RC (I think thats the series) chain on mine with a 16" bar and its my go to saw it does 95% of my firewood and yard chores very light and powerful and starts on the 2nd pull just love it.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #138  
I looked at both. The 346 is definitely a screamer, and very lightweight. But I liked the beefier feel of the 261 for my purposes, which is in itself light considering it can outcut bigger heavier Stihl saws.

Both are great saws, and I don't think you will go wrong either way.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #139  
Yes, the 261 is "beefier"...But if ya like the feel, that's all that matter. :)

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #140  
thanks for the info. i was leaning towards the 346xp because it is lighter, i like the feel of it better, and it's less expensive.

i was just worried that i won't be able to use my fixed position sharpener on the .325 chain. not 100% sure that's what it comes with, but had read it did. if all the angles on the cutting tooth are the same, just the pitch is different, there should not be a problem besides adjusting the chain stop, correct?