New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #11  
No doubt that the XP 346 is a great running saw .My wife loves Hers ! It's a great compliment to Our 372 and MS044 .

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
No doubt that the XP 346 is a great running saw .My wife loves Hers ! It's a great compliment to Our 372 and MS044 .

Your one lucky guy having a wife that will use a chainsaw.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #13  
JimR, would love to try your 346xp. but I'm down near the shore in CT. Not really too close to you. I'm going to try the MS270 and see. As long as I don't put too much use on it, I could take it back, though when I asked, the dealer wasn't totally clear on returns. I think he said Stihl gives them some kind of allowance, whatever that meant. I took that to mean, yeah, I could bring it back.

JimR, would love to try your 346xp. but I'm down near the shore in CT. Not really too close to you. I'm going to try the MS270 and see. As long as I don't put too much use on it, I could take it back, though when I asked, the dealer wasn't totally clear on returns. I think he said Stihl gives them some kind of allowance, whatever that meant. I took that to mean, yeah, I could bring it back.

That is way too far to drive for a test run. I think any good saw place should have some test saws and logs kicking around for people to try out saws on. What better way to sell a saw than by doing that. I would think that once you use it, you own it. I would get that in writing before using it.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #15  
I think any good saw place should have some test saws and logs kicking around for people to try out saws on.
Yeah, I'd be a little leery of any "allowance". It might be a "okay, you paid $400.00 for the saw but don't want it, I'll give you $250.00", or something.. :(

One thing to keep in mind when comparing those saws - the "XP" series is Pro-line and the 270 is a "homeowner", so it'll be heavier, lower speed (not necessarily bad, since it makes it less apt to kick back), etc.. Not that Stihls aren't superb saws, it's just a kiwi/pomegranate comparison thing. :D

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #16  
I got the MS270 for $409 (MSRP) with the 18" bar and two chains. I haven't used it yet (tomorrow) so I could bring it back.

I would. The MS270 is a homeowner-grade saw, as compared with the professional-grade 346xp. It's 20% more to buy, but it'll last a lifetime with homeowner use (as long as you keep draining the gas).

JayC

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #17  
Oh I know the xp is a pro saw and the 270 isn't, but the question is, do I need a pro saw for homeowner use. The xp isn't a need as much as a want. It's raining here today and will be again tomorrow. This is just giving me more time to "re-think" things - not necessarily a good thing.

I'm only a homeonwer too. I do not cut wood professionally. I bought this saw because I want to get the job done ASAP whenever I am cutting wood. I think it is broken in now. I used up another two tanks of gas today cleaning up tree limbs that fell from last December's ice storm. I have so much wood laying around that is is sickening. My poor trees took one helluva beating from that ice storm. I have many stubs sticking up with very few branches left on them. One good thing is that we burn wood. There will be no shortage of low cost heat for many years to come.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #19  
Your one lucky guy having a wife that will use a chainsaw.

You bet I am ! We've cut ,split ,and stacked around 10 cords of wood this year .So, there's little chance that I'd have gotten it done by myself .

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #20  

If you like Stihl, try the Stihl MS260, it is around $100 more than the MS270 and pro grade saw. If you can wait, my local dealer Farmington Valley Equipment has a 10% off MSRP sale every Spring and Fall. That is when I purchased all my Stihl equipment. I am looking to get a MS361 this Spring. Husky makes great saws to so a lot depends on your local dealer support. All the local dealers around me carry Stihl.