New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #211  
Dont take that seriously. I am just trying to balance out the "over-hype" and get back down to just a normal "pro" saw. All "pro" saws have great power to weight and cut MUCH faster than similar sized "homeowner" versions. Yes, the 346 is a good saw. But so are all the XP's, and all the pro stihls, and all the pro dolmars, etc.
Got to agree with ya there man.

Just talkin 50cc saws here... I like the weight and feel of the ms260, but the 346 has more zip, much better filter and better balance. Stihl missed the mark with the new ms261, nice saw, but too big and bulky for a 50cc. Dolmar 5100 is nice but they have had problems.

I have a good friend with a 7900 and a 120. They are very Nice saws!

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #212  
You are not the first poster to over-hype the 346. I've seen it some years ago on another forum. You opened up your post saying it's "like a chainsaw on steroids"., '"can't be bogged down etc..."That I just don't get. It's 3.7hp at 9,600 rpm's- that's it. 14.7k is no load ( meaning no torque available ).
Every saw in the XP lineup gains a better power to weight ratio ( excluding the newer X-torque models, and the 3120 ) The next model up the 357xp has 4.4hp at the same 9,600rpm, and has a better power to weight ratio.

There is a reason for the "Hype". Ya have to spend some time with a 346xp to get it. :rolleyes:

The 357xp is a fine saw. I have one, but the advertised weight specs are wrong, at 12.1 lbs. It's closer to 13 lbs. Husky beefed up the crank case shortly after production was started. The more power does show itself in larger wood, but under 18" or so, I'll take the 346xp any day.

The old edition 346 1999-2007 was 45cc and 14.7k no load rpm. Late 2007 the new edition 346 came out with 50cc, lower rpm and more torque. I still like the old one, but the newer one does have a wider power band.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #213  
Wildthang! If ever there was a cheesy sales gimmick its putting 18-20" bars on 40cc saws they all do it and they cut but cut pretty slow. :laughing:

I like a 16" tops on a 50cc saw and 70cc up for 20" but I like the saw doing the work not me ymmv as always. my .002

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #214  
Got to agree with ya there man.

Just talkin 50cc saws here... I like the weight and feel of the ms260, but the 346 has more zip, much better filter and better balance. Stihl missed the mark with the new ms261, nice saw, but too big and bulky for a 50cc. Dolmar 5100 is nice but they have had problems.

I have a good friend with a 7900 and a 120. They are very Nice saws!

Does that happen to be a 120si by chance. or even just a 120s. Those were both 68cc's (the plain jane 120 is only 60). And if so, has he ever let you run it??

For 1980's technology they are SUPER impressive. At 68cc, I dont think there is even a saw made that will out cut a good running (not worn out yet) 120si, that is under the 70cc mark. Just a very good and impressive all around firewood saw. Actually the 116si and 120si are probabally my favorite two saws of all time:D

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #215  
Does that happen to be a 120si by chance. or even just a 120s. Those were both 68cc's (the plain jane 120 is only 60). And if so, has he ever let you run it??

For 1980's technology they are SUPER impressive. At 68cc, I dont think there is even a saw made that will out cut a good running (not worn out yet) 120si, that is under the 70cc mark. Just a very good and impressive all around firewood saw. Actually the 116si and 120si are probabally my favorite two saws of all time:D
On the 120, I'm not sure. Feels stronger than most 60cc saws I've run, so I bet it is a 120si.

He also has a larger, newer Dolmar, I believe 90cc+. That thing is a hog and very strong, but more saw than I'd want to use, or need.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #216  
There is a reason for the "Hype". Ya have to spend some time with a 346xp to get it. :rolleyes:

The 357xp is a fine saw. I have one, but the advertised weight specs are wrong, at 12.1 lbs. It's closer to 13 lbs. Husky beefed up the crank case shortly after production was started. The more power does show itself in larger wood, but under 18" or so, I'll take the 346xp any day.

The old edition 346 1999-2007 was 45cc and 14.7k no load rpm. Late 2007 the new edition 346 came out with 50cc, lower rpm and more torque. I still like the old one, but the newer one does have a wider power band.

Oh no... I get it.. I don't think you get it.:licking: Even if you are right about the 357 being 13lb instead of 12.1. It would still have a better power to weight ratio, and it cranks at the same 9,600 rpm. I think you're imagination is ff a bit. Then you add on the wight of the bar and chain which is a static increment, and the power to weight ratio just improved for the larger saw. Sorry. Unless, just maybe, there's some magical power the 346 has that defies science measurement?

And yes, the 372 has a better power to weight ratio than the 357. I guess the 346 must seem like you grabbed the alligator by the tail if you are used to 46cc wood sharks? I just don't get all exited about 3.7hp. Maybe we just found a power tool near the bottom of a manufacturer's model linup that has some magical power that even the manufacturer is unaware of.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #217  
Oh no... I get it.. I don't think you get it.:licking: Even if you are right about the 357 being 13lb instead of 12.1. It would still have a better power to weight ratio, and it cranks at the same 9,600 rpm. I think you're imagination is ff a bit. Then you add on the wight of the bar and chain which is a static increment, and the power to weight ratio just improved for the larger saw. Sorry. Unless, just maybe, there's some magical power the 346 has that defies science measurement?

And yes, the 372 has a better power to weight ratio than the 357. I guess the 346 must seem like you grabbed the alligator by the tail if you are used to 46cc wood sharks? I just don't get all exited about 3.7hp. Maybe we just found a power tool near the bottom of a manufacturer's model linup that has some magical power that even the manufacturer is unaware of.

No, I got it a long time ago. :) I've been running saws since 1976, firewood, logging, clearing. When I got the first 346xp in 2001, it changed the way I thought about small saws. I have larger saws when needed, but most of the time a 346xp is all I need, or want to run. The 357xp is a fine saw (I own one), but it's right at 2 lbs heavier. The bar and chain on the 357 are heavier than the bar and chain on the 346, so the ratio changes in favor of the 346. Remember I own both. ;)

There's a lot more to these saws than what the specs say... Some saws are just more fun to run than others. :D

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #218  
No, I got it a long time ago. :) I've been running saws since 1976, firewood, logging, clearing. When I got the first 346xp in 2001, it changed the way I thought about small saws. I have larger saws when needed, but most of the time a 346xp is all I need, or want to run. The 357xp is a fine saw (I own one), but it's right at 2 lbs heavier. The bar and chain on the 357 are heavier than the bar and chain on the 346, so the ratio changes in favor of the 346. Remember I own both. ;)

There's a lot more to these saws than what the specs say... Some saws are just more fun to run than others. :D

I could debate that you could put on whatever bar chain you want on either saw, but I won't unless you really want to....
But... me being of a science inspired mind, yes, please tell me what this one single little particular saw has/does that Husqvarna's measurement do not capture. Does it run on crytonite while the rest of the linup runs on gas? Is it's 3.7hp at 9.7k more power than the 4.4hp at 9.7k of the 357?
Chain pulling through wood. Yup that's it. I don't see a lot of room for magic. In fact if the engine revs higher you have to put a smaller circumfrence drive hub to get the chain speed at optimum.
Does it have a wider torque band than the bigger saws? Take your time answering...

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #219  
I could debate that you could put on whatever bar chain you want on either saw, but I won't unless you really want to....
But... me being of a science inspired mind, yes, please tell me what this one single little particular saw has/does that Husqvarna's measurement do not capture. Does it run on crytonite while the rest of the linup runs on gas? Is it's 3.7hp at 9.7k more power than the 4.4hp at 9.7k of the 357?
Chain pulling through wood. Yup that's it. I don't see a lot of room for magic. In fact if the engine revs higher you have to put a smaller circumfrence drive hub to get the chain speed at optimum.
Does it have a wider torque band than the bigger saws? Take your time answering...
Man, I'm not saying the 346xp will out cut a larger xp saw (it will out cut some larger homeowner saws).

It's a fast cuttin 50cc saw, it's lighter, it's smaller, it's extremely dependable, it balances and handles very well. And my back doesn't hurt as bad at the end of the day.

I just usually don't need a larger saw. But like I said, I have a 357xp, a 562xp, a 372xpw wearing 365 plastic when I do need a larger saw.

I don't know how to be any clearer. Ya need to run one to understand I guess?

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #220  
i don't know what darkblack is after....if he doesn't like the saw, he doesn't have to buy one. this isn't the only place i've read rave reviews about the 346. i've only seen a few negatives anywhere when i was searching for info on which one i was going to get.

for me, it was between the 346 and stihl 261. i liked the feel of the 346 better. it cost nearly $100 less. the stihl has more torque, which i would have liked, but if i didn't like the way the saw felt in my hands, what good was it?

for me, the only other saw i've owned is a poulan pro 3816. it never really left me yearning for more power, so even if the 346 has less torque than other 50cc saws...it had to be, at the very least, as powerful as my old poulan. so far, i find it to be quite a bit more powerful...which i guess it SHOULD be.

i only have a few complaints about it, but most of those are not performance related.