New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #221  
Stihl missed the mark with the new ms261, nice saw, but too big and bulky for a 50cc.

Well, the thing is, the 261 can outcut the older Stihl 55cc saws for about two lbs less weight, so it's already doing well comparatively speaking.

I too considered the 346XP and MS-261, and the 261 just felt like a more stout saw with more grunt down low. The 346XP is definitely like cookie monster when it gets going, but it's nearly as dainty as my little 40cc saw, and I was looking for beef and grunt when shopping that time around (and there are cases where I wish I had gone even bigger). The 261 does an awful good job of acting like a 55cc saw in a 50cc clothing.

Where I think the 346XP shines is when it's someone's only saw, since it is light and revvy-enough for knot-bumping, limbing, and homeowner work, but can hold its own in larger wood. If you start collecting many saws, there are better choices for a smaller limbing saw, and better choices for a big bucking saw, but the 346 is a good jack of all trades for many people.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
I too wonder if DarkBlack has ever owned a 346XP or used one. I do mean the newer version, not the older version. At 59 years old, I would prefer to use a 346XP all day long rather than my 372XP for the same reason that you state, so that my back is not killing me at the end of the day. Unless you have used one of these saws, it is very hard to understand how someone can comment on it. It's like saying a Mercedes is better than a BMW without ever owning or driving them. I do own both Stihl and Husqvarna saws. I just don't own any Stihl Pro saws. I do have a 011AVT, MS210c and a MS250 Stihl.

Man, I'm not saying the 346xp will out cut a larger xp saw (it will out cut some larger homeowner saws).

It's a fast cuttin 50cc saw, it's lighter, it's smaller, it's extremely dependable, it balances and handles very well. And my back doesn't hurt as bad at the end of the day.

I just usually don't need a larger saw. But like I said, I have a 357xp, a 562xp, a 372xpw wearing 365 plastic when I do need a larger saw.

I don't know how to be any clearer. Ya need to run one to understand I guess?

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #223  
Today I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Husky 346XP chainsaw. I have been looking for a used one for the last couple of weeks on C/L and Epay. The crazy prices people are asking for the old slower version and used newer updated version led me to just go out and buy a new one. I found that a few dealers were sold out of them. I also found that a few dealers are overpricing them by as much as $70.00 over MSRP. So I let my fingers do the walking and found a local dealer that had them for the suggested retail price. He also swapped out the 16" bar/chain for an 18" setup at no cost. The price was $489.00 plus tax. This saw has a two year warranty for homeowner use. I compared this saw to the Stihl MS260 PRO 3.4HP. This saw is more powerful, lighter, higher revving and cost less than the MS260 PRO. Buying the Husky was a no brainer for me. I came home and played with it right away. I went through four tanks of gas this afternoon with this saw cleaning up tree limbs that fell from last December's ice storm. I have been using chainsaws since I was a kid back in the late 60's. I also own a Husqvarna 262XP, Husky 55 Rancher and Stihl 210c. Here is what I think of this 346XP. It is like a chainsaw on steroids. It screams to be let loose. It does not bog down, falter or even think it is cutting wood. It is by far the lightest and fastest saw that I have ever used or ever want to own. The weight is just over 11 pounds without the bar and chain. It produces 3.7HP and cranks a mean and wild 14,700 RPM's. Needless to say, this saw is dangerous. It will and can make a 4" round 6 foot log roll right up to your knee without even thinking about it. I know because it happened to me this afternoon. It is so fast that the log was up to my knee before I could even let off the trigger. I have owned many saws over the years and used plenty of other peoples saws. I have never in my life used a saw like this one. Now I am really glad that I went out and bought a new saw instead of a used saw. So if you are considering a new Husky 455 or 460, forget it. This saw is morepowerful and lighter. Yes, it does cost more to buy. The advantage is that you will be cutting more wood in the same amount of time and not having to use a heavier saw. Should anyone that reads this live in my area and would like to try it out, just email me. I have plenty of downed wood that needs to be cut up. Plus I will send you to the same dealer where I got mine. He does have them in stock.

No I don't own a 346- I don't have to. I've got 357's and 372's. This thread's tone has morphed. I've been referring to the original over-hyped post. Chainsaws on the net always seem to get like amsoil oil posts. I should know better than try to keep it real.;)
If whats in bold can't be aknowledged as extreme exageration, including the title, then I have nothing more to say on the matter if that helps.

No I don't own a 346- I don't have to. I've got 357's and 372's. This thread's tone has morphed. I've been referring to the original over-hyped post. If whats in bold can't be aknowledged as extreme exageration then I have nothnig more to say on the matter if that helps.

If you think pulling a 4 inch 6 foot log right up your leg is extreme exageration you are so wrong. That actually did happen and it happened before I even had a chance to react to it. This saw is not slow. I still stand by my statements as to this saws worth and cutting abilities. Granted you can bog down any saw when you lay into it. When used the way it should be used I have yet to bog mine down. That means letting the saw do the work like it is supposed to. As far as being dangerous, it is compared to any homeowner version saw. I still say that this saw is the fastest and lightest weight saw that "I" have ever owned or used in over 42 years of owning chainsaws. I can only assume that you are much younger than some of us and that is why you don't need to own a lighter saw. Some us do like to be able to still stand up after a day of cutting in the woods. There was a time when I used a much bigger saw all day long when cutting cordwood. Something like the likes of a McCulloch ProMac 610 or 650. These saws were monsters.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #225  
Well, the thing is, the 261 can outcut the older Stihl 55cc saws for about two lbs less weight, so it's already doing well comparatively speaking.

I too considered the 346XP and MS-261, and the 261 just felt like a more stout saw with more grunt down low. The 346XP is definitely like cookie monster when it gets going, but it's nearly as dainty as my little 40cc saw, and I was looking for beef and grunt when shopping that time around (and there are cases where I wish I had gone even bigger). The 261 does an awful good job of acting like a 55cc saw in a 50cc clothing.

Where I think the 346XP shines is when it's someone's only saw, since it is light and revvy-enough for knot-bumping, limbing, and homeowner work, but can hold its own in larger wood. If you start collecting many saws, there are better choices for a smaller limbing saw, and better choices for a big bucking saw, but the 346 is a good jack of all trades for many people.
The ms261 is a very good saw, but for me it's too big and heavy for a 50cc saw. Stihl should have bumped it to 55cc for it's size. It is closer in size and weight to the 357xp, but not up to it's power. The 261 does have a very good filter system and pro construction. But so does the Husky, just in a smaller package. I think for someone's 'only' saw a strong 55-60cc saw is the way to go. But I'd rather have two or more good saws. :)

Last edited:
   / New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #226  
No I don't own a 346- I don't have to. I've got 357's and 372's. This thread's tone has morphed. I've been referring to the original over-hyped post. Chainsaws on the net always seem to get like amsoil oil posts. I should know better than try to keep it real.;)
If whats in bold can't be aknowledged as extreme exageration, including the title, then I have nothing more to say on the matter if that helps.

If you think pulling a 4 inch 6 foot log right up your leg is extreme exageration you are so wrong. That actually did happen and it happened before I even had a chance to react to it. This saw is not slow. I still stand by my statements as to this saws worth and cutting abilities. Granted you can bog down any saw when you lay into it. When used the way it should be used I have yet to bog mine down. That means letting the saw do the work like it is supposed to. As far as being dangerous, it is compared to any homeowner version saw. I still say that this saw is the fastest and lightest weight saw that "I" have ever owned or used in over 42 years of owning chainsaws. I can only assume that you are much younger than some of us and that is why you don't need to own a lighter saw. Some us do like to be able to still stand up after a day of cutting in the woods. There was a time when I used a much bigger saw all day long when cutting cordwood. Something like the likes of a McCulloch ProMac 610 or 650. These saws were monsters.

Dark, what we have here is a man that is very impressed with his new saw. It just so happens he chose the best 50cc saw ever made.

You have a great saw in the 357xp, side by side with a 346xp they are almost the same, except in size and power.

No magic here, but there is something very special about the 346xp.

There is a reason Husky makes XP saws in different sizes. ;)

Last edited:
   / New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #227  
And while we are on the subject...

The 346xp has been replaced with the 550xp.

And the 357xp, replaced with the 562xp.

I bought a 562xp last January and it is the strongest, smoothest 60cc saw I've ever run. :cool:

I haven't run one yet, but the 550xp looks promising. Reports say it's stronger and has a wider power band than the 346. But did not gain weight or size, actually it's a bit lighter. :thumbsup:

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #228  
Bluegill2; said:
I haven't run one yet, but the 550xp looks promising. Reports say it's stronger and has a wider power band than the 346. But did not gain weight or size, actually it's a bit lighter. :
Got one earlier this week . Have not really run it as I also manage to get bronchitis . As soon as possible, I'll let you guys know what I think of it .

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #229  
Got one earlier this week . Have not really run it as I also manage to get bronchitis . As soon as possible, I'll let you guys know what I think of it .

That's cool. Do let us know.

So your telling me that I need to sell my 346xp's and get 550XP's (smile)