New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
You might be confusing narrow kerf with semi chisel, since all narrow kerf in semi. But semi chisel is available all sizes.

I run regular .325 semi chisel and 3/8 semi chisel most of the time.

Thanks for the info. I run chisel chain on my bigger saws. I run Stihl Oilomatic .325 rapid micro .50ga yellow chain on the 346's. I find that the teeth stay sharper longer than the Husqvarna and Oregon teeth.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #253  
This is what is on all my saws 346 included. fwtw

Bailey's - WoodlandPro 30RC Chainsaw Chain

Thats what I have on my 6400/8400 right now. Its "ok" chain, but I wouldnt buy it again. I dont know if ALL the 30RC chain is this way, but mine came filed to 35 degree angles. I like 30. the 35 will cut a tad faster but dull quicker. For me, the 30 degree is the best compromise of speed and longevity. After I got the angles back to 30, it is "ok" chain. But @ $16 a pop, I'll stick with the locak stihl dealer who makes my 24" loops for $20

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
Thats what I have on my 6400/8400 right now. Its "ok" chain, but I wouldnt buy it again. I dont know if ALL the 30RC chain is this way, but mine came filed to 35 degree angles. I like 30. the 35 will cut a tad faster but dull quicker. For me, the 30 degree is the best compromise of speed and longevity. After I got the angles back to 30, it is "ok" chain. But @ $16 a pop, I'll stick with the locak stihl dealer who makes my 24" loops for $20

is your local Stihl dealer making your chains out of Oregon or Stihl chain?

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #255  

I dont see the problem a new chain comes sharp and ready to use what difference does the initial angle mean? I have my grinder set @ 30 and whatever a chain is before grinding its darn sure 30 after.

I never have put an angle gage on a new chain to inspect what angle it is I just use them and once dull I grind them and start over. ymmv as always

oh I take that back I have a cheepo $99 northern tool chain grinder and I did take a new chain once and set my scales to it since they were staked on very badly maybe I AM off hahaha!

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #257  
I dont see the problem a new chain comes sharp and ready to use what difference does the initial angle mean? I have my grinder set @ 30 and whatever a chain is before grinding its darn sure 30 after.

I never have put an angle gage on a new chain to inspect what angle it is I just use them and once dull I grind them and start over. ymmv as always

oh I take that back I have a cheepo $99 northern toll grinder and I did take a new chain once and set my scales to it since they were staked on very badly maybe I AM off hahaha!

Two problems. First, out of the box, it dulls quicker than I'd like. Second, I hand file with a granberg. So it is really evident the fist sharpening that they ARENT 30 degrees. And when filing by hand, it takes longer to get back to 30 than if I were just touching up a dulled chain that was ALREADY 30.

After that, there is nothing wrong with the chain. But as far as my dollars and cents are concerned, I'd rather pay $4 more, get a stihl chain with the right angles, and do business with a local man. And if I ONLY need a chain and nothing else, got to factor in the shipping costs also. I got the woodland chain only because I was buying sveral things and figured it wouldnt hurt to try it out.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #258  
Thanks for the info. I run chisel chain on my bigger saws. I run Stihl Oilomatic .325 rapid micro .50ga yellow chain on the 346's. I find that the teeth stay sharper longer than the Husqvarna and Oregon teeth.

Rapid Micro is semi chisel and does stay sharp longer. All semi chisel will stay sharper longer than chisel. Also doesn't get as much damage if rocked. I use a lot of RMC, it's good stuff, but so it the Oregon equivalent.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #259  
they ARENT 30 degrees. I got the woodland chain only because I was buying sveral things and figured it wouldnt hurt to try it out.

Having one chain that is allegedly off a bit doesn't mean they all are bad come on now.

Personally I dont remember having even one Baileys chain that didn't grind correctly at 30 but also not saying its not possible just not willing to take one instance as the standard which all woodland chains are judged. (Carlton chain btw)

You buy local and I wont buy local there is another difference so be it but read my post about my Stihl dealer sharpening chains...

30SC and 30SCS is ground @35 are you possibly mistaken or maybe it was simply boxed wrong anything is possible?

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #260  
It was 3 chains. Bought it with 3 carlton premium bars (which I like), as well as a BB kit for the 6400 and one for a friends 660. So with buying that much stuff, I figured I'd give their chains a try.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with their chain at all. What I AM saying is that the 3 I got were sharpened at a 35 degree angle. (which may be standard out their in the PNW???) but around here, 30 degrees is standard.

Sure they sharpen just fine at 30 degrees with a grinder. But with a hand file, and that first sharpening, it takes about 15 strokes as opposed to 3, and shortens the chain life by about 4 or 5 sharpenings.

Again, I am not saying ANYTHING bad about baileys. I like baileys. And I'm not even saying anything bad about the chain. It is just not what I expected and I didnt see it listed anywhere that it was 35 degree angles. And again, maybe thats normal out west with softer woods and logging green trees. Around me, everything is hard and usually dead when cutting for firewood. I like 30 degrees for that.