New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #271  
Legitimate question. Should be a thread on it's own though? Don't want to diminish the 346 wonder ;)saw

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #272  
Well, I've been cutting wood for awhile, and can usually guess pretty close just by looking at a tree, but the trouble is that I just go by looking and dont actually measure the DBH when done. All I know is that when looking at a tree, it dont look nearly as big until it is on the ground. And again, it all depends on just how many branches and how small you cut them to. (IE: woods tree or fencerow).

Since I mostly clear fencerows, and their are sizable branches down low, It usually takes a 20" tree to make a full cord. And remember, double the diameter, and the area (volume of wood) goes up by a factor of 4 just for the trunk.

So...A 20" tree will have about 4 times more wood than a 10" tree. And a 40" tree will have about 16 times more wood than that 10" tree.

We cleared a BIG ash tree that blew down in a fencerow. It yielded between 7 and 8 cord. It was 48" diameter So by that, a 24" tree would be 1.75-2 cord and a 12" tree would be ~1/2 cord.

Again, this isnt really science and their is no good way to do it. So this is just my observations.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #273  
Legitimate question. Should be a thread on it's own though? Don't want to diminish the 346 wonder ;)saw

yes, i thought it should, but since we already had some good traffic going here, thought i might get a quick reply.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #274  
Well, I've been cutting wood for awhile, and can usually guess pretty close just by looking at a tree, but the trouble is that I just go by looking and dont actually measure the DBH when done. All I know is that when looking at a tree, it dont look nearly as big until it is on the ground. And again, it all depends on just how many branches and how small you cut them to. (IE: woods tree or fencerow).

Since I mostly clear fencerows, and their are sizable branches down low, It usually takes a 20" tree to make a full cord. And remember, double the diameter, and the area (volume of wood) goes up by a factor of 4 just for the trunk.

So...A 20" tree will have about 4 times more wood than a 10" tree. And a 40" tree will have about 16 times more wood than that 10" tree.

We cleared a BIG ash tree that blew down in a fencerow. It yielded between 7 and 8 cord. It was 48" diameter So by that, a 24" tree would be 1.75-2 cord and a 12" tree would be ~1/2 cord.

Again, this isnt really science and their is no good way to do it. So this is just my observations.

the other thing i find is that ppl tend to use cord and face cord interchangeably. sometimes i can tell which they mean, sometimes not. i presume you are referring to face cords?

what i have been doing for my buddy is, i cut it up in manageable lengths, 4'-8' long for smaller stuff and 16" lengths when it gets too big. then we throw it in the truck w/ no real idea how much is there. he cuts it up how he wants at his leisure. but if i tell his dad $x/face, i just need a closer idea how much he is getting.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #275  
No I was talking full cords. I think it is more of a regional thing, but around me, we dont deal in face-cord, rick, rack, or whatever.

Rarely do I even see that when people advertise firewood for sale.

So...@16" cut length, IMO, a ~20" tree would be about 3 face cord.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #276  
No I was talking full cords. I think it is more of a regional thing, but around me, we dont deal in face-cord, rick, rack, or whatever.

Rarely do I even see that when people advertise firewood for sale.

So...@16" cut length, IMO, a ~20" tree would be about 3 face cord.

those #'s look close to one of the charts i found. 22" = 1 cord (3 face @ 16"), 12" = .3 cords (1 face @ 16")

seems around here, ppl SAY cord but sell (mean) face. i've never seen a pile of word for sale that was 4x8x4, or advertised as $300/cord and then sell 16" lengths for $100. online, ppl seem to mostly refer to full cords.

thanks for the input, guess i'll just have to cut em down and see what i can figure out!

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #277  
It all depends on how many of the limbs you cut also. I know some people dont even cut the rounds. If it doesnt need split, it is brush for them. So that means they leave everything over ~5-6"" diameter behind. Me...I cut down pretty small. I cut down to 2" or so. Two reasons, I sell wood, so why leave it behind. And second, the wood I do burn is in the shop, where I dont keep a fire going all winter. So lots of starts. The small stuff takes light quick and produces the most heat the fastest. A stove full of 2" rounds will heat the building up faster than being full of big split stuff. (obviously the big stuff would last longer though)

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #278  
I am with LD1 I cut firewood down to about 2" limbs because the branches are denser wood and burn well typically. That's if they are straight enough to stack. The smaller stuff goes into the chipper. It is really hard to estimate a standing tree accurately. Ballpark it for the estimate or just sell by the 8' truck bed load with or without sideracks.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #279  
i cut everything! i often have to yell at my buddy because he leaves too much good stuff on the branch.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #280  
Just picked up anew XP346 yesterday. Its an upgrade from my 20 year old 51, that been a fine saw,but figured it was time to upgrade. I don't need a beast and settled on what I thought was a good midsize with room to spare should I need the xtra power. We closed on 13 acres and the 51 was giving me a workout. I am clearing pines and mostly softwoods of various size and saving the hardwoods. Looking forward to seeing if it makes life a little easier,as well as on my back.

I'll keep the 51 as a back up,but after reading all these post, perhaps its better left at home

Last edited: