New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #71  
Love my 346xpg :thumbsup:

I debated about adding another that is bigger but so far this works great for all my homeowner/property needs. I think I`ll just keep my eye out for a nice quality used one for my second saw.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #72  
Love my 346xpg :thumbsup:

I debated about adding another that is bigger but so far this works great for all my homeowner/property needs. I think I`ll just keep my eye out for a nice quality used one for my second saw.

I think I mentioned this in an earlier email that I had bought another one of these saws brand new for $425.00 delivered with a 18 inch bar. I now have two 346xp's and a new 372XP for the big stuff. I just had about 400 cord logged off of our wood lot because of ice storm damage back in 2008. I couldn't clean all this up in the rest of my lifetime.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #73  
if I had to choose just two saws to keep it wouild be a 372XP and a 346XPNE!

Me too I have several Huskys but those 2 are my pick!

My 372 and my 346 comprise my 2 saw plan its all I need around here and the 346 actually gets the most use nowadays though it sure is easy on the elbows and back. I love that little powerhouse just a baby 372 imo. :thumbsup:

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #74  
My 262xp, 346xp and 55 all have the small mount bars. .

I have a 55 Rancher that seems to have bit the dust. I get spark and gas and compression but no ignition. Seems like it is too tough to spin the thing fast enough with the plug in to get a spark. It always was tough starting and now just does not start.
I was looking at a 455 Rancher as a replacement but it sounds like the 346xp is a much better saw for a little more $. Since you (Jim R) have had both, can you tell me is the 346xp easier starting than the older 55? Does it have the compression unload to help or is it any easier to pull the rope than the 55? Will a rancher bar (18 inch 50-3/8) fit the 346xp (will it take a 68 link chain from the 55 rancher 18 inch bar- Hate to toss my chains if they would still be good) Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #75  
I have a 55 Rancher that seems to have bit the dust. I get spark and gas and compression but no ignition. Seems like it is too tough to spin the thing fast enough with the plug in to get a spark. It always was tough starting and now just does not start.
I was looking at a 455 Rancher as a replacement but it sounds like the 346xp is a much better saw for a little more $. Since you (Jim R) have had both, can you tell me is the 346xp easier starting than the older 55? Does it have the compression unload to help or is it any easier to pull the rope than the 55? Will a rancher bar (18 inch 50-3/8) fit the 346xp (will it take a 68 link chain from the 55 rancher 18 inch bar- Hate to toss my chains if they would still be good) Any help would be appreciated.

The 346 is .325 58 gauge so no, you're current chains will not fit. The 346 is a peaky saw meaning it likes to build revs to cut and is why so many people like it. Its power band is narrower so it is not a saw you should "lean" into for best cutting performance. It is a superb limbing saw. For the average user, I like the 353 better as its power band is a bit wider and if you never used a 346, you'd would not notice the difference in the two saws. The 353 is a 346 with a heavier piston assembly so it builds more torque. Plus, the 353 is $100 cheaper and you'd be tickled pink with its performance. Your chains would not fit on this saw as well. You'd have to switch to a 357 that had 50 gauge (they can come with both 50 or 58 gauge) 3/8's to have any shot of using your old chains. As this is closer to a $700 saw, its cheaper to chuck the chains but the 357 will out cut both of the above mentioned saws. All of these saws mentioned will start much easier than the 55. They all have compression release now. Older 346's use to not have it but they do now. I have used all the saws mentioned including the 55.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #76  
My new 346 came with .325 50ga NK chain, 58ga is Stihl spec chain if I am not mistaken?

Its easy to change the hub to run 3/8 the clutch tool is $10 and the bar off the rancher wont fit unless its the small Husky pattern.

I run 30rc 3/8 50ga on it now fwtw that way my grinder is set for all my saws they all use the same 30rc chain it simplifys things. :thumbsup:

To the other guy these newer saws with the primer bulb start like a dream they will usually fire in 2-3 pulls and run on pull 3-4 something my 2001 372 wont do from new on.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #77  
My new 346 came with .325 50ga NK chain, 58ga is Stihl spec chain if I am not mistaken?

Its easy to change the hub to run 3/8 the clutch tool is $10 and the bar off the rancher wont fit unless its the small Husky pattern.

I run 30rc 3/8 50ga on it now fwtw that way my grinder is set for all my saws they all use the same 30rc chain it simplifys things. :thumbsup:

To the other guy these newer saws with the primer bulb start like a dream they will usually fire in 2-3 pulls and run on pull 3-4 something my 2001 372 wont do from new on.

I have a 346 with 58 gauge. ( no compression release )I have seen the 357 flip flop on gauges as well so Husky must be doing the same on the newer 346's. Husky uses 58 gauge quite a bit on their saws. It must be whatever they can buy in bulk for their advantage for the time being as their saws flip flop from gauge to gauge frequently. I dunno, just to save a couple chains isn't worth it to change over anything on a brand new saw in my mind. (sprocket,bar,etc.) The 346 was made to perform best with what came from the factory. You are trying to achieve chainsaw sharpening consolidation so you think it is worth it to change over as you have several chainsaws. This is the ops one saw and is why I recommended to keep it simple and why I felt the 353 to be more of an all around saw for the gentleman. What is nice about the 353 is that it has a magnesium crankcase instead of plastic. A 353 with 18" bar would be a super saw for him. So as to not leave out LT-1, the Dolmar 5100 would also be a great saw.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #78  
I must be missing something in what you are saying because all 346XP's have always had mag cases 45cc and now the 50cc.

353,357,359 all have mag cases 357 and 359 share the same case and the 353 shares the 346 case.

I agree on the saw performing well on the .325 95VP chain mine was a screamer but seemed to me that narrow kerf type chain would not hold an edge in the sandy bark and trees around here. The full chisel is more a experts chain in a small saw but they sure throw chips when you match the power and speed just right!

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #79  
I must be missing something in what you are saying because all 346XP's have always had mag cases 45cc and now the 50cc.

353,357,359 all have mag cases 357 and 359 share the same case and the 353 shares the 346 case.

I agree on the saw performing well on the .325 95VP chain mine was a screamer but seemed to me that narrow kerf type chain would not hold an edge in the sandy bark and trees around here. The full chisel is more a experts chain in a small saw but they sure throw chips when you match the power and speed just right!

You are probably missing something as I know I am. I never talked about the 346 having a magnesium crank case. I simply pointed out that the 353 has a magnesium crank case just to clarify that it is not plastic as found many times in the box store type of chainsaw. Most average chainsaw users who may not know chainsaw derivations, may have appreciated that information. I did relate that the 346 did not always have a compression release but I always knew that it had a metal crank case. Perhaps you just confused the two?.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #80  
Yeah thats what I did and sorry for the confusion I butted in anyway where I see now you were attempting to point out features some folks dont know till its too late.

I have plastic case Huskys in the past for conversation and fwtw never had a bit of trouble with them a 345e was the predecessor to my NE346 as my trim saw it just wasn't enough power to more than trim.

fwtw for the extra $50 I would still spring for the 346 over the very capable 353. The 346 old and new versions are one heck of a little saw imho.

My 372 sits 90% time now hate to say it but I pick the 346 up its a pure joy I built an L bracket mounted under the bar that serves as a kick stand to keep the little tipper upright. ;)