trying to change drive belt, need help..

/ trying to change drive belt, need help.. #1  

richla

Tractor
Husqvarna YTH150
Hi:
I have a nine year old Husqvarna YTH150 lawn tractor. Time to replace the drive belt, it's running great but can't go up slopes.

The directions seem pretty easy: (ha!)
1. Remove clutch locator. (done)
2. remove belt from the idler and tension pulleys. (done)
3. carefully, to avoid breaking the cooling fins on the transmission, pull the slack belt to the rear and carefully lift it over and off of the transmission pulley. (NOT able to do it)

My problem is, even though I have slack in the belt, I can't see how I'm going to get it off, I do not have enough slack.
I can't "move" the transmission pulley, or the clutch pulley, so what the heck am I missing??
I have looked all over the 'net, I can't see this step explained anywhere and I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction. Feels like I'm missing something that is painfully obvious to someone that knows what they are doing!
Thanks,
Rich

/ trying to change drive belt, need help.. #2  
Can you walk the belt off like a bicycle chain maybe? What about removing 1 or both pulleys, put on belt, reinstall pulleys? Never worked on a machine like yours. Just Ideas :) Ken Sweet

/ trying to change drive belt, need help..
Hi Ken:
I'm hoping to save those steps for "Plan B". According to the book, I don't have to do it, it's suppose to come off.
I spent a couple of hours on this last night, and gave up before I broke something, which is an obvious sign of my advancing maturity.
;)

/ trying to change drive belt, need help.. #4  
I spent a couple of hours on this last night, and gave up before I broke something, which is an obvious sign of my advancing maturity.
;)

I am right with you on that:) Ken Sweet

/ trying to change drive belt, need help.. #5  
Before you pull a belt off , always take a picture of it . It makes reassembly so much easier .

I wonder if someone has forced the next size smaller belt on last time leaving you without the slack you should have ?

/ trying to change drive belt, need help..
I'm pleased to report I got the old one off and the new one on, this morning!
Turns out, I was being far too gentle in trying to get the belt over those cooling fins on the transmission pulley.
I gently folded them and was able to get the belt over them.

The book warned about breaking them and it seems that for the first time I erred on the side of being gentle!
Thanks guys,
Rich