455 Rancher

/ 455 Rancher #1  

tfrost2002

I have a 455 Rancher saw which has an ongoing problem with the chain brake or clutch. I locked the chain to sharpen the saw and then the brake would not release. The steel band locks tight on the drum and will not release. The local small engine guy says it takes a special tool but I cannot find any information on this issue. Husky people are not very helpful which will result in me never buying another of their saws. In any event I have removed the clutch cover and determined it is possible to release the steel band but now I cannot get the spring which is used for tension on the chain brake back into the clutch cover. I don't know if this is clear but I cannot find a parts listing to refer to the actual names of the parts. Anyone know how to compress the spring back into place or know what tool is necessary?

Thank you for your help and consideration.

/ 455 Rancher #2  
I did a silly thing with one of my 4 chain saws, that is what I believe you did. I had the clutch off and popped the chain brake on. Once you do it you remember not to do it again. I did get it all back together. I believe my Husky is a 450E?. I may have done the chain brake on it. Lots of playing and the chain brake was back over center. I can not remember how but it is possible to save the brake assembly. Something in the back of my mind says I took the chain brake spring out as if I was assembling it from new and i used the clutch to hold the middle size.
I know I could not really help as much as you would like.
Craig Clayton

/ 455 Rancher #3  
Here ya go via search no big deal calm down its not a common problem not something to get wound up over.

Husqvarna makes arguably the best saws in the world they must be doing it right overall you could have easily done a lot worse I promise you.

Hope it helps get er back running! :thumbsup:

Parts and Diagrams for Husqvarna 455 Rancher (2007-01)

/ 455 Rancher
OK the spring I am trying to reinstall is part # 503 46 59-01. Any idea how to get it back in place?

/ 455 Rancher #5  
OK the spring I am trying to reinstall is part # 503 46 59-01. Any idea how to get it back in place?

No I don't know how to tell you sorry if it was sitting here in front of me I could put it together pretty easy I bet.

All I can say is it will probably be under some tension and you will be well advised to mount the chain case carefully in a vice between 2 pieces of wood to get enough leverage to compress the spring but that's a guess.

Thats all the help I can be from here sorry I have been known to use thin pieces of steel to shoe horn things into place wear safety glasses please.

/ 455 Rancher #6  
Ebay has repair manuals right now for $6 if all else fails and you may find one that can be downloaded for a small fee. hth

/ 455 Rancher
Thank you for the help. I will order the repair manual asap. I have gotten the spring back in place but the chain lock is still locked and will not release. Since I wanted to use the saw this weekend I could use some help with what was the original problem before the spring. As stated above I locked the chain in place to sharpen the chain on the saw and the brake would not release. The handle moves back and forth but the chain will not turn and the release does not click as it should. Help please.

/ 455 Rancher #8  
Thank you for the help. I will order the repair manual asap. I have gotten the spring back in place but the chain lock is still locked and will not release. Since I wanted to use the saw this weekend I could use some help with what was the original problem before the spring. As stated above I locked the chain in place to sharpen the chain on the saw and the brake would not release. The handle moves back and forth but the chain will not turn and the release does not click as it should. Help please.

Sorry I don't in fact I went and pulled the side cover off my 346 I need to change chains anyway. I tore the cover off the brake band and I don't see any way to adjust them so you must have something in wrong or something is behind the band is all I can imagine.

I am not recommending this but if it was a do or die situation I would entertain the thought of taking the band out for a weekend but that's only talk.

/ 455 Rancher #9  
Did you clean and oil the chain brake spring unit, and reset the over center action.?
As I said I have been there. If you were to have it like the original factory setup then it should work.
Craig Clayton