Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Farmall SuperA

Default Re: New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage

I've got a 359, its gotta be 6 years old and has cut a few cords been leaking like that for a few years now already tried the release the pressure on tank thing per local dealer, started leaking real bad after they turned the oil screw from 3 to 2, does not matter where it is still drains the tank out. thinking about replacing that screw(not supposed to turn while saw is running) I've thought thats where it is leaking from. my dealer is a tractor dealer and I was not impressed with their apparent saw knowledge when I took it to them few years ago, next closest dealer (other then the local big box store that sells them) though is like 85 miles away. so I just been living with the mess, I use shavings (not sawdust) to clean the mess out once in while and try to run it out of gas(minimal oil in it) b4 putting away.
    gonna have to see if it leaks out when its on its side hope I do not have to empty a cylinder full of oil.
    2nd owner of a 1951 SuperA

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

I have always though it was due to temp changes. Most saws have a one way bleed valve that allows air into the tank as it is being used. when the temp drops the oil condenses and pulls in air to fill the void. when the temp rises the tank pressurizes and pushes out the oil to get rid of the pressure buildup. have seen this problem on poulan, husky, stihl, dolmar, mcculloch, solo. I have sold all the above brands new except the stihl and husky.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

Update:
    I took the saw into our local authorized Husqvarna warranty shop a week ago last friday-no word back from them as of today-I don't want to come across as a "doting father" so I'll give it a few more days and then contact them.

Tractor
    Farmall SuperA

Quote Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
    Update:
    I took the saw into our local authorized Husqvarna warranty shop a week ago last friday-no word back from them as of today-I don't want to come across as a "doting father" so I'll give it a few more days and then contact them.
    watching for reply on what they say/do
    2nd owner of a 1951 SuperA

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

I called the shop (they have a store in Fresno as well as here in Visalia) this morning and was told that they would be looking at it next monday or tuesday-it's been there since 7/22.

Tractor
    TC33D

I've got a cheap Poulan and a Husky 51/55 and they both leak. So does the pole saw attachement for my Troy-Built string trimmer. I lay the saw across my vise and a paint can on the bench and drain them before long storage. If I'm going to use it the next day I just deal with the mess.
    Make welfare as hard to get as a building permit

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I've had numerous saws over the years, mostly Husky, Stihl, and Jonsered and none have leaked. There might be a little bit of drip from the oil that was clinging to the clutch cover or bar, but nothing to amount to anything.

The two saws I have now, a Husqvarna 242 and a Stihl 044, neither one leaks at all.

From the time frame that the dealer has had your saw, I'd say they're treating it as a "non-issue" that they'll look at when they have nothing else to do.

Sean

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

I picked up the saw yesterday and indeed ,they did do a warranty repair on it. First though, the service manager went to get it in the back room, brought it out and set it on the counter in front of me. I turned it over to look for the leak and it was practically clean of bar oil but I did notice that it looked like someone had just hastily swiped it with a cloth as a very small amount of oil was present just outside of the wiped area. Turned it on it's side and opened the oil cap, it was full to the brim-o.k., no big thing.
    I then asked what was found and what was repaired? He very nicely pulled up a schematic on the computer screen showing the bar oil tank and oil pump area. Replaced were parts 537-26-14-01 and 537-26-15-01, oil hoses. He then brought the two parts out and showed me how they went together and why they were replaced. They are each about 2-1/2" long and made out of a black flexible material. One attaches to the tank oil line and strainer in the tank itself and terminates onto the oil pump intake side. The other one starts off of the oil pump outlet side and terminates at the chain bar discharge. The actual leak was taking place at the oil pump where the two lines cup around the oil pump tube, sort of like cupping your hands together, each hand forming half of a circle, both hands forming a complete circle around a given sized tube.
    I set it out in the shop in it's case yesterday afternoon, checked it this morning and yes, the saw still leaks but far less than first noted but nonetheless still a leak, something like a slow dripping faucet vs. a full on fire hose.

chilly807,
    I think you're right-I took the saw in on July 22nd-that's 28 work days, most of which were "on the shelf" days.

Nickel Plate:

I have a nearly identical story as yours. Briefly, I purchased a 455 last winter. After cutting a Christmas tree and letting it sit over the winter, I noticed the same problem this spring-profusely leaking bar oil. After consulting with my local dealer twice, they replaced the same hoses, oil screen, and oiler assembly under warranty. They said that Husky had recalled several oilers, but didn't say if 455 was included. Afterwards, I cut some wood while camping, and it still leaks after sitting.

I am debating whether to get my money back and trying a Stihl or just cowboying up and dealing with the mess. It is a nice running saw with some good features, but after $400+, you don't expect leaks...

Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

Good info,

I am thinking of moving up in saw size - replacing my stihl 025 - and the 455 rancher was on the list. Other than the leak how do you feel about the saw, performance etc.

TIA
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast