New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #21  
Fascinating post. I have a 455 and it leaks a small amount while in storage, but no more than any other saw I've had. I would not describe it as a critical problem. A bit of a mess but that's all.

I didn't know there were saws that did not leak bar oil.

BTW, Lloyd, the 455 is a great saw.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #22  
How much is "a little"? My saw leaks enough bar oil to soak through the Sunday paper in ~2 weeks. Volume wise, I'd guess 4-5+ tablespoons in that same time frame.

I have several friends, all with Stihls, that tell me their saws do not leak aside from some minor drippings post cutting. The local Stihl dealer tells me likewise. Others say all chainsaws leak to some extent. Growing up, Dad had a piece of crap Homelite (I used to think it was standard procedure to say every swear word that you know 3 times in order to start a chainsaw), and it didn't leak anywhere close to the amount of my 455.

I contacted Husqvarna directly, and the representative suggested trying a different dealership for service.

Beyond leaking bar oil, I like the 455. It has good features to help the start (decompression valve, primer). It runs really well and idles nicely. It has pretty decent power and cuts well.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #23  
None of my Stihls have leaked, neither does the 242 Husky I have. The newer saws seem to have issues with it, and the 455 in particular.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage
Update on the leak:
If I now use the saw and then stow it and turn the adjustable three position bar oil slot screw down to the lowest position, the bar oil leak is minimal, a small dot on a folded piece of newspaper. YAY!! HOWEVER in doing so to acomplish that, the shop effed up the pistol grip trigger which required another two weeks in the shop for that fix:(

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #25  
So it seems that the leak is out throught the outlet.If you can turn it down to slow the lead. Thats progress. Might just be something you have to live with..

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #26  
All saws will drain oil from the bar grove while in the box but should not leave a lot of oil. The 455 in question may have a leak at the point where the rubber gromet accesses the oil tank on the bottom. I have only had one saw do it. For the life of me I could not figure it out until I took the tank off. Pull the tank off after you drain all the gas out, lay the saw on it's side with the oil tank suction hose on top, pull it out of the tank and clean it with a soulution to get all the oil off as well as the tank hole, put some good RTV on it and put it back in the tank, should stop the leak!

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #27  
My 345 leaks oil if I leave it sitting. I hadn't used it in at least a year, been using the Stihl. I went to start it up the other day and it would not start. I noticed the fuel line was rotted. Replaced the fuel line and it now runs like a champ. Now I just need to sharpen the chain. Good saw.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #28  
I have a recently acquired Husky 41 that leaked like a sieve when I got it, and the oiler didn't actually put much on the chain ironically. I put the new style (1-piece) oil hose in, and the new style oil pump. Problems are both cured, it oils like it's supposed to and doesn't leak a drop when shut off.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #29  
I ran my husky 455 for about 5 hours so far. it has been sitting for the past 3 weeks and no leaks... I may be lucky...

Lloyd

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #30  
When done for the day loosen the cap to relieve the pressure or heat buildup then tighten . No more leaks on my husky's