New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #31  
I ran my husky 455 for about 5 hours so far. it has been sitting for the past 3 weeks and no leaks... I may be lucky...

Lloyd

Maybe lucky in that you got a recent build saw, not one of the early ones that had been sitting in stock for a while. The new ones more than likely have the latest version of the oil pump and pickup tube, which cures the problem.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #32  
My 2008 455 Rancher leaks, too. It will weep the entire tank of bar oil over several months. It won't stop until the tank is empty. It's done this since day one. I finally decided to examine and diagnose and fix the problem.

I removed the chain/bar, sprocket, oiler cover, and handlebar. Removing the handlebar was most important because that opened up, for inspection, the area where the bar lube suction tube is inserted into a hole in the bar oil tank. That's where mine is leaking. The handle bar is held in place with only 3 screws but a service manual is helpful to discover where those 3 screws are. I bought a service manual on CD for around $5 on eBay. Removing the handlebar also requires disengaging the throttle trigger from the carburetor so the manual is also helpful in discovering how to unsnap the blue plastic lock swivel device without breaking things.

So, like I said, the oil pickup tube is inserted into a hole in the case. The tube has a wide disc shaped region that forms a sort of grommet. The grommet is about the size of a dime. The grommet has a deep circumferential groove just like any grommet. If not pressed into the hole correctly, the groove doesn't seal properly at the hole in the case. Consider it to be a lot like those rubber plugs that seal the fill hole in a differential. On mine, part of the grommet groove/lip was not inserted entirely in the hole of the case. I tried cleaning and reinserting but 4 years of improper installation has deformed the grommet.

Today (06/20/2012) I've ordered a replacement tube (p/n 537261401) but it's predicted to be a week or so before it gets here. Strange. I live in Louisville, Kentucky. We have 2 dealers for Husqvarna. They didn't have the tube in stock. Also, the national company (JacksSmallEngines) from which I ordered didn't have it either.

I think its strange nobody has it in stock. I'm guessing its one of 3 things: (1) This is a fast moving item that sells out as soon as it is put on the shelf or, (2) Its something people very seldom order, (3) Or, the factory has lots of bad ones they have to scrap out of each production run and they can't sucessfully fill all the orders they have for it. My local dealer says they just don't have a call for it much. I guess that's the case.

I'm guessing people who use a saw frequently don't care about the leak. It only puddles maybe a couple of ounces over over 3 to 5 days. Homeowners like me, though, who use the heck out of it for 3 to 5 days and then store it for months are probably most likely to encounter the huge puddle that accumulates over months time.

Anyway ... I'll post back after the part comes in. But, I'm thinking that unless the new 537261401 tube has a tighter fit in the hole, it's likely to leak just like the old one. In that case, I'm hoping it's Hylomar to the rescue! I've used that stuff for years. Recently, I saw a YouTube video of a man using Hylomar a little bit differently on a Husqvarna saw of a model other than the 455, but, neverthelss, the video reminded me to try Hylomar if all else fails on my leaky 455 Rancher. This guy did a really great video. This link should take you to it: Husqvarna chain oil leak repair 346 - YouTube

At that YouTube site, someone mentions RTV (silicone sealant). I don't think I'd waste the time with RTV. Silicone sealant just won't sufficiently adhere to the plastic case. Also, there is no silicone sealant that will withstand constant submersion in oil. You'd also have to wait for silicone to cure. Hylomar will do the deed, however. And ... Hylomar never hardens ... so there is no cure time and you can put the saw into service immediately. Hylomar will not mix with oil. In other words, it will stay where you put it.

It doesn't have to be the "racing formula" but I do recommend using the Permatex brand. It's the one I know works. The British Hylomar company has far too many variations and I don't know much about those. Just find any Permatex brand of Hylomar sealant. It's usually available at auto parts stores ... even Autozone. You might have to go through several stores, to find it. Might be easiest to just buy from eBay.

So, chances are, I'll use Hylomar on the new tube when it arrives. I'll post my results.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #33  
Google seems to take people here for information on leaking Husqvarna's so I'll post my results even though this thread seems to be inactive in the forum.

The new parts came in today. The bar oil lube hose is, of course, a two piece affair. I ordered both pieces. There was no part number change but the material I received is much more pliable and softer than the originals. That seemed promising. The hose sealing groove is also a tighter fit in the tank hole compared to the original. The tighter fit was surely needed. The original hose/tube leaked from day one so I can't say that age hardened the material and caused it to leak.

I ordered a new pickup filter screen so the entire bar oil circuit would be comprised of new parts. There is a part number change on the pickup screen. It's now much shorter and bullet shaped so that it lays farther down toward the bottom of the bar oil tank. I think this improves pickup when the bar oil level gets near the bottom of the tank.

I used Hylomar on the grommet-like region of the tube. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I use some sort of sealant on most things unless specifically told otherwise (like Fel-Pro Dry gaskets).

So, put it back together and let it sit about 2 hours after filling the oil tank. No leaks. Not even a single drop. That's never happened before. That was exciting in and of itself. Fired it up and cut some wood for about half an hour. Got it good and hot. Filled up the bar oil tank afterwards. It's been sitting a couple of hours.

No leak. Nary a drop. This is nice.

Now I can be like everybody else. Cut wood. Drain the fuel. Then I can put the saw in its case instead of storing it on a diaper on the shelf. Then, I can take it out some day in the future and maybe I won't find it sitting in a stringy puddle of Husqvarna biodegradable oil.

If it leaks, I'll be back here.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #34  
Thanks for the update, it's good to know the fix works.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #35  

Sean

You're welcome. I hope this helps some people. I put off the repair for a long time because I saw posts in forums that said dealers did the same repair but the saw still leaked. I figured I wouldn't waste the time. I finally decided to tackle the problem and swore I'd fix it even if it meant that I had to replace the case (if it was cracked or leaking) to the tune of $160 for the part. Naturally, I had to try the hose/tube replacement first.

I still get some dribbles of oil but those are expected as they are coming from the chain/bar after shutdown and they are coming from the oil soaked sawdust that fills every space. But, there's absolutely no leak coming from that oil hose insertion site at the oil tank.

Yes. Ladies and gentlemen. There is hope. And the parts only cost $20 (including $8 shipping). Whew!

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #36  
You're welcome. I hope this helps some people. I put off the repair for a long time because I saw posts in forums that said dealers did the same repair but the saw still leaked. I figured I wouldn't waste the time. I finally decided to tackle the problem and swore I'd fix it even if it meant that I had to replace the case (if it was cracked or leaking) to the tune of $160 for the part. Naturally, I had to try the hose/tube replacement first.

I still get some dribbles of oil but those are expected as they are coming from the chain/bar after shutdown and they are coming from the oil soaked sawdust that fills every space. But, there's absolutely no leak coming from that oil hose insertion site at the oil tank.

Yes. Ladies and gentlemen. There is hope. And the parts only cost $20 (including $8 shipping). Whew!

If you look at Husky's online parts catalogues, you'll see that a lot of parts are superceded after a year or so. That's because improvements have been made to correct problems. I had a 41 that leaked like a sieve, a new oil pump hose cured it 100%.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #37  

Sean

Ooops! Spoke too soon. It's leaking at other places. There's a malformation at the main seam where the case halves are joined near the "Made In Sweeden" area on the bottom of this 455 Rancher chainsaw. It's also leaking somewhere else near one of the bottom 4 through-bolts. I guess that a pack of baby diapers will just have to be a part of my support items along with a spare bar, spare chain, etc.

Now I'm debating whether I should dump another $150 into a replacment "case/crankcase", although, I'm thinking the new one will probably leak, too. It seems to be a problem with lots of these Husky saws.

At least I did manage to fix the biggest leak. But, dagnabbit!!! It still pees. My $420 Husky might never leave the diaper stage. Embarrassing.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #38  
I guess you can do what I did, buy a Stihl and call it a lesson learned.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #39  
I have 4 Husqvarna saws. 2 pro (372XP and 346XP) one semi pro (359) and one consumer (345)

All are great saws and seep minimally. The 372 was the worst initially, but seems to have tamed down to next to nothing. It may have to do with amount of use or also possibly the oil used. I use season specific oils rather than the fitsall generic bar and chain oil.

There are enough Stihl guys here reporting teh same thing so no need to turn this into a brand war.

I'd suggest Arbosrist Site for some knowledgeable insight into chainsaws.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #40  
I have 4 Husqvarna saws. 2 pro (372XP and 346XP) one semi pro (359) and one consumer (345)

All are great saws and seep minimally. The 372 was the worst initially, but seems to have tamed down to next to nothing. It may have to do with amount of use or also possibly the oil used. I use season specific oils rather than the fitsall generic bar and chain oil.

There are enough Stihl guys here reporting teh same thing so no need to turn this into a brand war.

I'd suggest Arbosrist Site for some knowledgeable insight into chainsaws.
Well said! I've never heard of any brand leaking as much as talked about here. :rolleyes:

Stihl and Husky both make great saws and both make cheap homeowner stuff..

I've been running saws commercially since 1977 and have settled on Husqvarna XP saws for the last 12 years. 6 saws right now and none of them leak.

My brother was a Stihl head until last Fall. Now he's running Huskys full time as a logger. His problem with Stihl, was not enough oil gettin to the bar/s...