New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
I have a new 455 Rancher and when the chain saw is stored, the bar lubricating oil leaks out of the lower case to the point of emptying the tank all over the inside of the optional carrying case. I have since the first occassion been laying down newspaper to soak it up:mad::mad:.
It's less than two months old and has cut very few limbs, I bought it as a back up/soon to be first string for my aging eleven year old Husqvarna 51/55 that has never dripped a drop of bar oil since I bought it new; that was about thirtyfive/forty cords of wood ago....
Any other 455 Ranchers out there that leak like this? I found online in another forum where a very simple solution was offered up-trying it now and will update if it works-waay too simple and not mentioned in the operator's manual. Hint: Nothing to do with draining the oil reserve tank after each usage. Boy, what a drag that would be. Does anyone actually do that?

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #2  
Have the same problem. What's the simple solution?

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #3  
I have the same saw, and I do recall this happening when I first bought it,2 1/2 yrs ago, I have not had a problem since. Now that I think about it, I think mine was leaking from oring on cap and I replaced it, good luck.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage
I found a possible solution on the net as I stated above and it has not AT ALL worked or slowed down the clean bar oil leak while sitting in the Husqvarna case between usage. The solution sounded rather believible:
The bar auto oiler works off of the compression in the lower (2-cycle) case and emits air pressure into the bar oil tank thus causing a squeezing out of oil onto the bar. Solution to the discharge of oil AFTER the saw is stopped and in storage is to open the bar oil tank cap to equalize and discharge any stored up pressure and the leak will stop-NOT:mad::mad:.
I even reset the three position oil screw to low(there is no off) and away she leaked!
I have an electric Remington pole saw that in the manual it states that "THE BAR OIL WILL LEAK OUT WHEN NOT IN USE". Husqvarna has failed to mention that in print. I'm about two seconds short of taking this leaky, messy machine back for full credit.:mad::mad:

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #5  
Husqvarna has had problems with oil leaks lately, notably the smaller saws 136/137, etc. The fix for that was a one-piece oil pickup hose instead of a two-piece clamshell. I see from the parts diagram that the 455 uses a 2 piece oil pickup as well, but there's no part number change.

Go to Milaca Lawn and use their online parts catalog to see what I mean. The link to the specific page doesn't work.

Free online Parts Illustrations Order online - Home

There IS a new number for the oil pump assembly, whether your's has the new part number or not I have no idea. The dealer would be your best resource for that information.

Sean

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #6  
Gee, my new Stihl pee's in the case too. My old one did as well. I just clean the case ocassionally.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage
Gee, my new Stihl pee's in the case too. My old one did as well. I just clean the case ocassionally.
The amount of oil that this saw leaks "clean the case ocassionaly" would mean at least two to three times a day until all the oil is gone from the tank.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #8  
My Stihl does the same thing. In fact it filled the muffler when I stored it on it's side. That sucked.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #9  
I have a 460 with no issues, basically the same saw. It gets used a lot too.
It is a few years old though.

/ New 455 Rancher bar oil leaks in storage #10  
I owned a tree removal and trim business years ago and had Stihl saws exclusively and they all leaked bar oil. Even the big 075 and 90G leaked.

I'm not sure if it's due to gravity pulling the oil from the tank, temperature fluctuations or what, but I accept it as a quirk of owning a chainsaw.

Of course I prefer Stihl saws over all the others but mine all leak. I have an 028 and a new 056 and they both leave their marks.

They don't leak at the store because the bar oil tank is dry.......:D

I owned a Husky years ago, but it was a motorcycle, not a chainsaw.

I'd say its something that you have to deal with accordingly. Put the sucker on a diaper when parked.