Tractor
    09 Cub Cadet 3100

Unhappy Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch

Does anyone out there know how to bypass the seat occupancy switch
    on this tractor? It gets to be a real pain when you need to get off & on the tractor often. I'm going to wear out the starter soon at this rate.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Default Re: Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch

Quote Originally Posted by ayeray View Post
    on this tractor? It gets to be a real pain when you need to get off & on the tractor often. I'm going to wear out the starter soon at this rate.
    The switch should be mounted on a metal bracket with two nuts holding it on . Tighten them Down .
    044* , ms460* 346XP* , 372XP* ,390XP* , 395XP** ,562XP 550xp,American CLS 25hh log splitter .
    (* Tlandrum work saws ) ( ** Mastermind work saws )

Tractor
    09 Cub Cadet 3100

Quote Originally Posted by NIXON View Post
    The switch should be mounted on a metal bracket with two nuts holding it on . Tighten them Down .
    Nixon,
    The switch has changed since you last saw it. It is now on an all plastic, circular plate
    that twistlocks 1/4 turn into the bottom plate (metal) of the seat. It has a plastic circular plunger (approx 2 in, dia.)integrated to the mounting plate that activates the switch under the pressure of the seated operator. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that unplugging the switch would do the trick BUT, although it lets you start the motor and drive the tractor, it will kill the motor when you try to engage the blades.
    To get the job done and over with, I used 3 tie wraps (11in.) and compressed the plunger with them. Everything works as expected after reassembly of the seat. P.S.
    the wiring diagram shows a shorting jumper which ties all 4 pins of the switch plug.
    I made one and connected it to the plug pins but it seems to only kill any attempt to
    start the motor. Thanks for your response, it got me out of my rocking chair and out to my workshop to tear into the problem. ayeray
    Last edited by ayeray; 03-20-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Inform the responder.

Tractor
    MF GC2410

I would not bypass the safety switch-it is there for a reason. As long as you disengage the PTO and apply the parking break you will be able to get on and off with the engine on without bypassing anything all day long.
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Tractor
    09 Cub Cadet 3100

cdaigle,

Ordinarily, I would agree with you BUT, I have a long bit of sidehill terrace to mow. Being an old(very old) snowmobile racer, I want to be able to shift my body weight to the uphill side of the machine when mowing that terrace.
    Disabling that switch is the only way I know of that works.

Tractor
    in-between tractors

If you have fenders over the rear wheels just keep your leg on the seat when you shift weight. That's what I do.

Tractor
    MF GC2410

cdaigle,

Ordinarily, I would agree with you BUT, I have a long bit of sidehill terrace to mow. Being an old(very old) snowmobile racer, I want to be able to shift my body weight to the uphill side of the machine when mowing that terrace.
    Disabling that switch is the only way I know of that works.
    Sorry-
    You said get off the tractor very often in your original post, which is what I based my opnion off of.
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Tractor
    Yanmar YMG1800

What did on my Polan 22hp46" (similar) for side-slope acrobatics is to put a pair of 6" door pullls (handles) on the fenders (on each side of the seat). Allows me to lhave a good handhold when shift my weight over while keeping weight on the seat interlock switch. I hate to think of what would happen if I departed the mower with the seat switch bypassed.

My mower is new, and I imagien that as the seat foam ages the switch sensitivity may change; if so, I'll tweak it...

--Bill

Tractor
    Farmall 140

Nixon,
    The switch has changed since you last saw it. It is now on an all plastic, circular plate
    that twistlocks 1/4 turn into the bottom plate (metal) of the seat. It has a plastic circular plunger (approx 2 in, dia.)integrated to the mounting plate that activates the switch under the pressure of the seated operator. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that unplugging the switch would do the trick BUT, although it lets you start the motor and drive the tractor, it will kill the motor when you try to engage the blades.
    To get the job done and over with, I used 3 tie wraps (11in.) and compressed the plunger with them. Everything works as expected after reassembly of the seat. P.S.
    the wiring diagram shows a shorting jumper which ties all 4 pins of the switch plug.
    I made one and connected it to the plug pins but it seems to only kill any attempt to
    start the motor. Thanks for your response, it got me out of my rocking chair and out to my workshop to tear into the problem. ayeray
    Tried that today on a new Husky YTH22V46 with seat switch 532 40 15-45. The engine stops when the brake pedal is released. So in this case, tying down the button is not the answer. But I thought that it would be.

Tractor
    YTH22V46

Hello, I simply put a 'C' clamp on the unit and drilled holes in the tabs, inserted cotter pins. See pic. The 'block' technique simply didn't last because of bouncing and vibration - it failed.
    This approach is reversible.
    BTW - Don't do this. Good Luck!!
    -finaljpeg-jpg