Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #1  

ayeray

Tractor
09 Cub Cadet 3100
Does anyone out there know how to bypass the seat occupancy switch
on this tractor? It gets to be a real pain when you need to get off & on the tractor often. I'm going to wear out the starter soon at this rate.

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #2  
on this tractor? It gets to be a real pain when you need to get off & on the tractor often. I'm going to wear out the starter soon at this rate.

The switch should be mounted on a metal bracket with two nuts holding it on . Tighten them Down .

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch
The switch should be mounted on a metal bracket with two nuts holding it on . Tighten them Down .
Nixon,
The switch has changed since you last saw it. It is now on an all plastic, circular plate
that twistlocks 1/4 turn into the bottom plate (metal) of the seat. It has a plastic circular plunger (approx 2 in, dia.)integrated to the mounting plate that activates the switch under the pressure of the seated operator. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that unplugging the switch would do the trick BUT, although it lets you start the motor and drive the tractor, it will kill the motor when you try to engage the blades.
To get the job done and over with, I used 3 tie wraps (11in.) and compressed the plunger with them. Everything works as expected after reassembly of the seat. P.S.
the wiring diagram shows a shorting jumper which ties all 4 pins of the switch plug.
I made one and connected it to the plug pins but it seems to only kill any attempt to
start the motor. Thanks for your response, it got me out of my rocking chair and out to my workshop to tear into the problem. ayeray

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #4  

I would not bypass the safety switch-it is there for a reason. As long as you disengage the PTO and apply the parking break you will be able to get on and off with the engine on without bypassing anything all day long.

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch
cdaigle,

Ordinarily, I would agree with you BUT, I have a long bit of sidehill terrace to mow. Being an old(very old) snowmobile racer, I want to be able to shift my body weight to the uphill side of the machine when mowing that terrace.
Disabling that switch is the only way I know of that works.

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #6  
If you have fenders over the rear wheels just keep your leg on the seat when you shift weight. That's what I do.

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #7  
cdaigle,

Ordinarily, I would agree with you BUT, I have a long bit of sidehill terrace to mow. Being an old(very old) snowmobile racer, I want to be able to shift my body weight to the uphill side of the machine when mowing that terrace.
Disabling that switch is the only way I know of that works.

Sorry-
You said get off the tractor very often in your original post, which is what I based my opnion off of.

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #8  
What did on my Polan 22hp46" (similar) for side-slope acrobatics is to put a pair of 6" door pullls (handles) on the fenders (on each side of the seat). Allows me to lhave a good handhold when shift my weight over while keeping weight on the seat interlock switch. I hate to think of what would happen if I departed the mower with the seat switch bypassed.

My mower is new, and I imagien that as the seat foam ages the switch sensitivity may change; if so, I'll tweak it...

--Bill

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #9  
Nixon,
The switch has changed since you last saw it. It is now on an all plastic, circular plate
that twistlocks 1/4 turn into the bottom plate (metal) of the seat. It has a plastic circular plunger (approx 2 in, dia.)integrated to the mounting plate that activates the switch under the pressure of the seated operator. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that unplugging the switch would do the trick BUT, although it lets you start the motor and drive the tractor, it will kill the motor when you try to engage the blades.
To get the job done and over with, I used 3 tie wraps (11in.) and compressed the plunger with them. Everything works as expected after reassembly of the seat. P.S.
the wiring diagram shows a shorting jumper which ties all 4 pins of the switch plug.
I made one and connected it to the plug pins but it seems to only kill any attempt to
start the motor. Thanks for your response, it got me out of my rocking chair and out to my workshop to tear into the problem. ayeray

Tried that today on a new Husky YTH22V46 with seat switch 532 40 15-45. The engine stops when the brake pedal is released. So in this case, tying down the button is not the answer. But I thought that it would be.

/ Husqvarna yth24k48 seat safety switch #10  
Hello, I simply put a 'C' clamp on the unit and drilled holes in the tabs, inserted cotter pins. See pic. The 'block' technique simply didn't last because of bouncing and vibration - it failed.
This approach is reversible.
BTW - Don't do this. Good Luck!!
FinalJpeg.jpg