husky 445 carb issues again

/ husky 445 carb issues again #1  

displacedPA

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2310
Well eight months ago i had the saw gaskets replaced at the local husky dealer. I though it would be under warenty but it was not.
I asked the dealer while i was there if there was anything i could do to help this from happening agian. He told me to run fresh fuel and use stabil-ethonal treatment. I told him i was already doing that. He looked surprised. He also said if i stepped into a xp saw i would not have this problem. Im OCD when it comes to my equipment and i try and take good care of it. I run the fuel out of it after every use also.

Well heres where my ran really starts.
I had trouble with the saw the last time i ran it. Trouble starting once warm and not idling as it should. Last night I tore aprart the carb on the saw and to my dismay the diaphrams in the carb seemed very brittel.. :mad: I know this is all because of the ethanol in the gas but im trying to figure out what to do>?
I can buy new gaskets and diaphrams for 15bucks. or a whole new carb for 30. My thoughts are if i can't even get a years worth of run time out of the diaphrams that i could have a spare carb and gasket sitting in the shop when i start to encounter problems and change it out. Im fine with doing that but really it still makes me mad. I want a go to saw that i can run and not have to worry about....

I'm going to do my research on diffrent carbs that Husky used on their XP line of saws and see if any of them are less pron to fail in this manner. I am thinking about buying a larger saw serious firewood and felling duties and either selling the 445 and replace with a 346xp in due time.

The current models of husky saw im looking at are: 357xp and the 562xp
does any one already know if these carbs are more well made>?

thanks in advance....
my rant is over...

/ husky 445 carb issues again #2  
I don't know if XP saws have 'better' carbs? Husky uses Walbro and Zama carbs. I can say, I've had a 346xp since 2001 and just recently started having carb problems. Replace the carb and all is good. Only problem with that saw, is it needed a new fuel line every 3 years and it get used hard. That old 346xp is the best saw I've ever owned! Bought another 346xp just because...

I have 6 saws and leave gas in them year around, never run em dry. I don't let the gas get too old though. Also found a station a little over a year ago with non-ethanol 91 and is all I run now.

I have a 357xp, love that saw! But the 562xp is a badass wood eater! :thumbsup:

/ husky 445 carb issues again
ok blue gill sounds like i need to try and find non ethanol stations. Maybe ill try and not run the saw dry. I think a two saw planof a 346xp and a 562xp. not eight saw like youself but i wouldn't mind that either... :laughing:

but for now wanting to upgrade to a larger saw and keep the 445 for limbing ect. Ill prob. go with a 562 or 357. Do you think my local husky dealer would take a trade on a 445 for a 562 and 346 combo deal>? i mean knock some off the price that is with the trade in. Not sure dealers even do that?

Im still doing research on the carbs to see if they are more robust in the xp line up

/ husky 445 carb issues again #4  
All the saw shops I've ever dealt with take trade-ins. 346xp and 562xp is a Great two saw plan! Go for it.

ill have to talk to the dealer see what he can do. It's good to know that they take trade ins. I would of course fix it before i sold it to him in hopes to get more money but im not sure what he would give me for it. Oh well now you have me dreaming of a two saw plan and Im sure thats how two saw plan turns into your eight... :laughing:

/ husky 445 carb issues again #6  
For years two saws was enough, but I started hangin out in the chainsaw forum on Arborist site. Then met some local nuts that like to modify and race chainsaws. It's been downhill ever since! :laughing:

/ husky 445 carb issues again #7  
I am a big Husky fan. Not sure about your carb problems though. What octane of gas are you running? I burn the mid and high octane in all of my saws and two cycle engines. I use Opti2 oil mix which has stabilizers in it. Not all of the time do I run the saws out of fuel unless it is my big 2100 Husky. Just finished fixing a Stihl 026 Pro that was left out in the rain. Water got in through the compression release valve and rusted up the cylinder. After that I had to replace his fuel line that was hard and brittle from this nasty ethanol gas being sold. If you can get ahold of some of that try it..

/ husky 445 carb issues again #8  
i had problems with my husky 350 when i bought it about 3 years ago. went back 3 times for a "boot" problem. would start super hard, run rough, and idle fast. it is now fixed and has been running great. cut well over 400 face cord with it and still using it. we have 10% ethonol in our gas where i am at and i have read the horror stories about the ethonol fuel, but i have yet to have any trouble directly with it yet. i use stabil in all my gas engines. especially over the winter. the ethonol has been around here for about 3-4 years. i also use the 93 oct gas in all my 2 cycle engines. so far so good. sorry you have been having trouble. i have 3 husky saws, 350 and (2) 455's. they are good saws and i think you would like a xp. i wish you better luck.

I am a big Husky fan. Not sure about your carb problems though. What octane of gas are you running? I burn the mid and high octane in all of my saws and two cycle engines. I use Opti2 oil mix which has stabilizers in it...

I run 93oct. from BP. i have allways used husky branded oil either the low smoke or the xp oil in a silver bottle. Curious about opti2 a neighbor of mine gave me some stens mix said it is the best 2cycle oil out there. It can in a pouch package.

i had problems with my husky 350 when i bought it about 3 years ago. went back 3 times for a "boot" problem. would start super hard, run rough, and idle fast. it is now fixed and has been running great. cut well over 400 face cord with it and still using it. we have 10% ethonol in our gas where i am at and i have read the horror stories about the ethonol fuel, but i have yet to have any trouble directly with it yet. i use stabil in all my gas engines. especially over the winter. the ethonol has been around here for about 3-4 years. i also use the 93 oct gas in all my 2 cycle engines. so far so good. sorry you have been having trouble. i have 3 husky saws, 350 and (2) 455's. they are good saws and i think you would like a xp. i wish you better luck.

Im still a husky fan through and though... my uncle said try a stihl if your not happy with husky. that will not be happening...

thank you for you advise...