Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #21  
BTW, 346xp is 50cc, the old edition was 45cc. I have one of each and will never get rid of either! :D

I've run a 346xp since early 2001 and love it. Recommended for wood up to 20", but have cut a bunch over 20".

I would not recommend a 346 if most of the wood being cut is 20" or over. But occasionally, it's OK and will handle it.

The 365XT is a great saw, but more weight than I want to swing around all day. Same with the 6400.

One saw that is new and is usually over looked is the Husky 555. Pro quality, detuned 562xp, Light, Fast, Strong, 60cc. Much less $ than the 562xp and close in price to the 346xp.

Also good deals might be found with the 357xp.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #22  
Both excellent saw brands- all depends on size, your intended uses & what type of timber you want to cut.

As general recommendations buy a slightly bigger than smaller saw than you think you'll need, don't be talked into too big a bar (with experience/thought you can cut at least double the bar length less c2inches without drama), watch the operating weight as only a few extra lbs can make long operations a workout, make certain the chain oiler is adjustable, for longevity get a bar with a greasable bar sprocket, dismiss any saw with a "quick twist" chain adjustment - stick with the proven screw/2 nut adjustment, run the saw on premium 2 Stroke @ 50:1 non-ethanol fuel/good bar oil/clean filters/& a sharp properly adjusted chain....& it should last at least c.10yrs+) & wherever possible fit a rim sprocket rather than a spur drive sprocket.

In smaller general duty saws (50-65cc) for general farming, rural fencing & breaking down firewood/limbing/felling trees (@ up to c. 20inch trees regularly & occassionally larger) I prefer Husky's, where a larger saw (70cc up) is required for felling bigger trees or breaking down large timber I prefer Stihl (MS381/460/660/880).

My personal preference for general lighter rural duties if I had only 1 saw would be:-
a) Husky 455 or 460 (55--60cc) fitted with 18inch bar & probably a .325pitch chain (in ieu of 3/8 pitch). The .325 is the "safest"/most versatile combo (well only as safe as chainsaw can be), an 18inch bar will take down the occasional c.30inch hardwood tree & the .325 will minimise kicking/kickback ( & despite what the "shop experts" say,if kept sharp has no trouble cutting through dead hard woods - handles dead Australian hardwood no drama) & cut or carve without drama for the operator
b) or as a step up in size if you're only cutting hardwood or larger timber Stihl MS381 (72cc) rugged reliable, low tech & good value, or a Husky 562 (59cc), but to make best use of the power you'll need a 3/8"c.20 inch bar combo

IMO, rightly or wrongly, the Husky in small saws fire up far easier & their startup/shutdown controls & maintenance are more intuitive for operators, nothing against Stihl's it just seems small Husky's are just a tad marginally better in these areas......our 455's have 2litres+ (close to 2quarts+) of 2stroke oil run through them @50:1 a year so they're workhorses.

We own/operate all the above saws & more on our farms, & with 35yr+ professional rural chainsaw use & logging experience, like most I have favourite saws - unfortunately the US McCulloch PM850's/1000's became extinct in the early 80's, but then I'm not quite as fit as in the late 70's/80's to operate a .c10kgs/20lbs saw all day long...but I still keep a few in running order for occassional use like the PM1000 & PM805 below........

PM1000a.jpgMc PM805 28inch.jpg

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #23  
I would go with a 460R with 20" bar.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #25  
I own a stihl ms361:). In my opinion that or the ms362 would be a great choice for wood 12-24".
Tons of power in a light pkg.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #26  
I own a stihl ms361:). In my opinion that or the ms362 would be a great choice for wood 12-24".
Tons of power in a light pkg.
The ms361 is a good saw, but I don't care much for the ms362. It gained weight and size over the 361.

That said, a 60cc is a better choice if most of the wood is goin to be over 20". 562xp is definitely the way to go here! :D

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #27  
OP stated in his first post he had a $550 budget. Both the 562xp and the 362 are well over that number. For his non-pro occassional uses and his budget the Echo 600P I recommended earlier still sounds like a good fit. The Echo while not quite in the pro saw league is still well ahead of the Rancher models he mentioned. Can buy them new for $450 just about all day and have money left over for an extra chain and some safety gear.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #28  
Budget, what budget? Oh, that budget. :)

359 or 555 would fit the budget and are pro quality Husqvarna saws.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #29  
Bluegill -I get it, it's that orange thing, right.....:laughing:

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #30  
Bluegill -I get it, it's that orange thing, right.....:laughing:

No Echo or Dolmar dealers here. Stihl doesn't work for me. The oranges saws have done me well in a semi commercial setting for almost 12 years now.

The OP asked about two different orange saws in the orange forum...;)