Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #31  
No Echo or Dolmar dealers here. Stihl doesn't work for me. The oranges saws have done me well in a semi commercial setting for almost 12 years now.

The OP asked about two different orange saws in the orange forum...;)

Just messin with ya! I own and use several brands, have 3 Husky products, a 346xp, a straight shaft string trimmer, 326 maybe??, and this year I bought a Husky push mower with a Honda engine! They all work fine.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #32  
Not trying to hijack the thread. LD1 I have run that Dolmar 6400 a few more times and am warming up to it I think. It really is smoother throughout its power curve. Almost like having two cylinders for less vibration. Granted the vibration from the engine is dampened quite a bit by the shocks. But the engine is smoother as well. Anyhow that's my story and I am sticking to it.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #33  
Not trying to hijack the thread. LD1 I have run that Dolmar 6400 a few more times and am warming up to it I think. It really is smoother throughout its power curve. Almost like having two cylinders for less vibration. Granted the vibration from the engine is dampened quite a bit by the shocks. But the engine is smoother as well. Anyhow that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Glad you like it so much.

Is it fair to say that you are now a Dolmar Convert.:D

Oh... and Just wait until I talk you into doing a BB and muffler mod on that thing:laughing:

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #34  
Well to tell the truth I took the muffler off before I even fired it up to see how it was set up and to see if it had the cat converter in it. The salesman had said this shouldn't have the catalytic converter in it. It looks like it does have it. So after the warranty is up I will probably "fix" or replace it with something that breaths better. The saw is a heavier saw since I use a top handled Husky for most of my work. Then the next most used is the Stihl 026Pro.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #35  
Just messin with ya! I own and use several brands, have 3 Husky products, a 346xp, a straight shaft string trimmer, 326 maybe??, and this year I bought a Husky push mower with a Honda engine! They all work fine.

It's all good. :D

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #36  
I would rather the XP346 over the 455, for 100.00 dollars more you move up to a professional model that has a lot to offer for the difference. If your wood is more 20 over, consider the XP562,though its 300 more than the rancher, but offers a world of technology and think it will be the new lead in the husky line up.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #37  
FYI the Husq 455 and the model below it (445?) both lost 5ccs for this model year at Lowe's. The price stayed the same. I don't know how much difference that will make but if anyone is leaning that direction you may still be able to find some last year models left at 45 and 55ccs instead of the new saws at 40 and 50.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #38  
Just to throw it out there . Get the 550 XP . You can thank me later . ;-)

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #39  
Just to throw it out there . Get the 550 XP . You can thank me later . ;-)

How much do they costs?

My dealer is not set up for the digital models, like the 550,he does not have the computer program or cable interface.
Was there any setup the deal had to do, or was a run out of the box.

Trading in the 346 for the 550. I have not run itand called the dealer about an uprate,he is good with it...so next week.

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #40  
How much do they costs?

My dealer is not set up for the digital models, like the 550,he does not have the computer program or cable interface.
Was there any setup the deal had to do, or was a run out of the box.

Trading in the 346 for the 550. I have not run itand called the dealer about an uprate,he is good with it...so next week.

Can't remember the cost , but it's more than the 346 .
As far as the analyzer , my dealer doesn't have one either. But , I bought one just for grins as this is the way saws are going .
As far as setup .... The saw is supposed to be run at full throttle in the cut for 3-5 minutes to adjust the carb . I'm pretty sure most dealers won't do that . At any rate I did it myself with both saws.
Make sure that you read the hot restart procedure in the manual . It's a bit different than what you might normally do .