Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 41 to 47 of 47
  1. #41
    Super Member Scooby074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,090
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIXON View Post
    Make sure that you read the hot restart procedure in the manual . It's a bit different than what you might normally do .
    +1. ...

  2. #42
    Bronze Member Whisper35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    94
    Location
    Kenai, AK.
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    I had a logging comp. in Northern NH for many years. I ran Stihl saws for most of the time and never had any problems. The saws are sturdy and dependable. Husky makes a good saw, but they run at a highg RPM and they didn't seem to have the torque when I got into big timber.

    I would recommend a Stilh 291 (55cc) with an 18" bar or a 391 (64cc) with a 20" bar. You won't be sorry with either one of them.
    I have cut over 600 cords of firewood in the past 3-4 years with a 391 and I have never had a problem with it so far. It is also light enough so that you can use it to limb the trees too.
    The best and safest advice I can give you though no matter what brand you go with, is to keep your chain sharp...... You'll get better much more done and save on fuel costs if you keep your chains sharp.

  3. #43
    Veteran Member Tollster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Location
    Benton, Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whisper35 View Post
    I had a logging comp. in Northern NH for many years. I ran Stihl saws for most of the time and never had any problems. The saws are sturdy and dependable. Husky makes a good saw, but they run at a highg RPM and they didn't seem to have the torque when I got into big timber.

    I would recommend a Stilh 291 (55cc) with an 18" bar or a 391 (64cc) with a 20" bar. You won't be sorry with either one of them.
    I have cut over 600 cords of firewood in the past 3-4 years with a 391 and I have never had a problem with it so far. It is also light enough so that you can use it to limb the trees too.
    The best and safest advice I can give you though no matter what brand you go with, is to keep your chain sharp...... You'll get better much more done and save on fuel costs if you keep your chains sharp.
    I always consider other brands, but honestly,after picking up a stihl, it felt heavy, and bulky. I think the ergonomics could be better thought out,not sure what it was about the feel, it jsut did not feel second nature like holding a husky. Many like Stihl, like my father for instance, but they just are not for me. My father inlaw was a logger for over 50 years, and he built his business with Husqvarna's, three generations. I personally have never had anything but a husky. I always felt they where not afraid of new techonolgy, when they found something that worked, they not only kept it in the line up, but made it better, when you think they couldn't. They where the same way in the 70's with their motocrossers. I don't think I'll be changing for another 20 years, as that was the time I purchased a Husky saw. (Its never been in a repair shop, and never let me down in the woods...other than pinching the bar 2 times)
    Husqvarna Chainsaws: 50 Years Of Evolution - YouTube
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

  4. #44
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,847
    Location
    Success Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
    I always consider other brands, but honestly,after picking up a stihl, it felt heavy, and bulky.
    In 2001, after running Poulan saws (the good old ones) for over 20 years, I needed a new saw. I walked into our local Stihl dealer intent on buying a Stihl. After handling a few saws, I felt just like you. I then walked over to the Husky side of the shop (they sold both) and fell in love with a 346xp. That was almost 12 years ago and like they say, the rest is history.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

  5. #45
    Elite Member s219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,968
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whisper35 View Post
    I would recommend a Stilh 291 (55cc) with an 18" bar or a 391 (64cc) with a 20" bar. You won't be sorry with either one of them.
    There are far better pro-model Stihls in that range, namely the 261 and 362. The 291 and 391 are mid-grade saws, and nothing special. They are heavy and plasticky.

  6. #46
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,278
    Location
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    There are far better pro-model Stihls in that range, namely the 261 and 362. The 291 and 391 are mid-grade saws, and nothing special. They are heavy and plasticky.
    Not to mention under powered for their displacement .
    044* , ms460* 346XP* , 372XP* ,390XP* , 395XP** ,562XP 550xp,American CLS 25hh log splitter .
    (* Tlandrum work saws ) ( ** Mastermind work saws )

  7. #47
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,847
    Location
    Success Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

    Default Re: Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    There are far better pro-model Stihls in that range, namely the 261 and 362. The 291 and 391 are mid-grade saws, and nothing special. They are heavy and plasticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIXON View Post
    Not to mention under powered for their displacement .
    And Bulky!

    Seriously, if I had to buy a Stihl (thankfully I don't), I'd consider a ms261, and/or an older ms361.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Similar Threads

  1. Husqvarna 455 Rancher
    By HRS in forum Husqvarna
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
  2. Husk Rancher 455
    By Lloyd_E in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 09:46 PM
  3. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw
    By johnnydel29 in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM
  4. 455 Rancher
    By tfrost2002 in forum Husqvarna
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
  5. Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help
    By valley in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.