Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #42  
I had a logging comp. in Northern NH for many years. I ran Stihl saws for most of the time and never had any problems. The saws are sturdy and dependable. Husky makes a good saw, but they run at a highg RPM and they didn't seem to have the torque when I got into big timber.

I would recommend a Stilh 291 (55cc) with an 18" bar or a 391 (64cc) with a 20" bar. You won't be sorry with either one of them.
I have cut over 600 cords of firewood in the past 3-4 years with a 391 and I have never had a problem with it so far. It is also light enough so that you can use it to limb the trees too.
The best and safest advice I can give you though no matter what brand you go with, is to keep your chain sharp...... You'll get better much more done and save on fuel costs if you keep your chains sharp.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #43  
I had a logging comp. in Northern NH for many years. I ran Stihl saws for most of the time and never had any problems. The saws are sturdy and dependable. Husky makes a good saw, but they run at a highg RPM and they didn't seem to have the torque when I got into big timber.

I would recommend a Stilh 291 (55cc) with an 18" bar or a 391 (64cc) with a 20" bar. You won't be sorry with either one of them.
I have cut over 600 cords of firewood in the past 3-4 years with a 391 and I have never had a problem with it so far. It is also light enough so that you can use it to limb the trees too.
The best and safest advice I can give you though no matter what brand you go with, is to keep your chain sharp...... You'll get better much more done and save on fuel costs if you keep your chains sharp.

I always consider other brands, but honestly,after picking up a stihl, it felt heavy, and bulky. I think the ergonomics could be better thought out,not sure what it was about the feel, it jsut did not feel second nature like holding a husky. Many like Stihl, like my father for instance, but they just are not for me. My father inlaw was a logger for over 50 years, and he built his business with Husqvarna's, three generations. I personally have never had anything but a husky. I always felt they where not afraid of new techonolgy, when they found something that worked, they not only kept it in the line up, but made it better, when you think they couldn't. They where the same way in the 70's with their motocrossers. I don't think I'll be changing for another 20 years, as that was the time I purchased a Husky saw. (Its never been in a repair shop, and never let me down in the woods...other than pinching the bar 2 times)
Husqvarna Chainsaws: 50 Years Of Evolution - YouTube

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #44  
I always consider other brands, but honestly,after picking up a stihl, it felt heavy, and bulky.

In 2001, after running Poulan saws (the good old ones) for over 20 years, I needed a new saw. I walked into our local Stihl dealer intent on buying a Stihl. After handling a few saws, I felt just like you. I then walked over to the Husky side of the shop (they sold both) and fell in love with a 346xp. That was almost 12 years ago and like they say, the rest is history. :D

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #45  

There are far better pro-model Stihls in that range, namely the 261 and 362. The 291 and 391 are mid-grade saws, and nothing special. They are heavy and plasticky.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #46  
There are far better pro-model Stihls in that range, namely the 261 and 362. The 291 and 391 are mid-grade saws, and nothing special. They are heavy and plasticky.

Not to mention under powered for their displacement .

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #47  

Not to mention under powered for their displacement .
And Bulky! :)

Seriously, if I had to buy a Stihl (thankfully I don't), I'd consider a ms261, and/or an older ms361.