Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #1  

baberuth43

Tractor
john deer
I am looking for a new chainsaw that will be used to cut full sized dead oak trees a few times a year. I have basically a $550 limmit on what ever I buy. My question is which of these two saws would be best for my task with a 18" bar? I've heard that the 346 is a high end torque chainsaw and I don't know how well it would do towards the middle of the tree. I've ran a rancher before and it did well but it seemed like it wanted to bog towards the center also but i imagine that's because of the 20" bar on it. I will consider anyones recomindations towards other saws.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #2  
The 346 is a far better saw than the 455 (the 455 is essentially a department store saw whereas the 346 is a pro model). Also look at the Stihl 261 and Echo 500p, both very good 50cc saws. Keep your chain sharp no matter what.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?
If someone could tell me how easy the ms 261 runs I would greatly appreciated it. I have never used or seen a modern stihl run... I have talked to people that claim they are very hard to start and keep running, this has kinda pushed me away from them but I will look at them more closely if someone can tell me if this is true or not.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #4  
A couple of questions I would want answered first....

1. Define "full-sized oak" Are you talking 20"+ trees??? or are we talking 12-16" trees and nothing bigger?

While the 346 would certainly do the trick, I would want something a tad bigger than a 46cc saw.

2. What kind of shape are you in? Is there a reason you want a small light saw instead of a bigger more powerful saw other than price??

The 346xp is definatally the better saw. But IMO, go bigger.

The dolmar 6400 or makita 6401/6421 (dolmar and makita are the same) are real close to your price point. As is the echo cs-600 or cs680.

Stihl and husky saws of similar size are going to be more, so I wont mention them. But echo and dolmar make good saws for the money and certainly worth a look if you are serious. If you want the MOST saw for your money, it usually wont be a stihl or husky.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?
20 plus trees. I'm in fairly good shape. And I would like to go bigger but it seems like once you start getting over 50cc things get expensive....

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #6  
20+ and you in good shape......dont get the 346xp.

I know you can get the 6400's and 6421's (dolmar or makitas) online for ~$600 and maybe a tad less. But check your local dealer. (If you have a local dolmar dealer).

They really are a great saw at a good price. About two years ago (or maybe 3) before all the saws jumped up in price, baileysonline.com was selling the makita 6401's for $499. They have replaced that model with the 6421 (epa muffler BS) and that adds $100. But when they had the 6401's, we waltzed into the local dolmar dealer and inquired about the 6400's. He normally sells them for $565+tax. We bought 3 @ $490 OTD.:thumbsup:

So ya never know. Go visit a dealer.

Now if you were limbing all day long, and wanted a light fast saw, I'd say the 346 would be the ticket. But since you are bucking larger oak......

And for $500-$550 for the 346.......for what you are doing, a few extra bucks for a mid 60cc saw is WELL worth it.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #7  
If someone could tell me how easy the ms 261 runs I would greatly appreciated it. I have never used or seen a modern stihl run... I have talked to people that claim they are very hard to start and keep running, this has kinda pushed me away from them but I will look at them more closely if someone can tell me if this is true or not.

I have owned several new Stihls in the last year, including a 261, and they all start and run just fine. However, if you are really concerned with easy/repeatable starting, nothing will beat an Echo in my experience.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #8  
I am in the same camp as LD1 and SD219. If you are going to be climbing around stacks of branches whittling them off something lighter and more "limber" is a good way to go. I just picked up a Dolmar PS6400 for $565 shipped to my door. The guy was an ebay seller and I asked him if he could give me a better deal. He did go cheaper. Any saw can cut a tree down but they all need a sharp chain to do it. Keep that in mind. If you are running around carrying a saw get some chainsaw pants or chaps if you don't have them already. (I am the Safety guy here at work and a Ex Fireman)

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #9  
You can get a 365xt 70.7cc for $560 with 18" out the door IF you know where to shop. It is a 372xt detuned with channel made into 365xt transfer covers. Remove that and you have a 372xt.

353 with 16" $390 out the door.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #10  
I am in the same camp as LD1 and SD219. If you are going to be climbing around stacks of branches whittling them off something lighter and more "limber" is a good way to go. I just picked up a Dolmar PS6400 for $565 shipped to my door. The guy was an ebay seller and I asked him if he could give me a better deal. He did go cheaper. Any saw can cut a tree down but they all need a sharp chain to do it. Keep that in mind. If you are running around carrying a saw get some chainsaw pants or chaps if you don't have them already. (I am the Safety guy here at work and a Ex Fireman)

I wasnt aware you sprung for a dolmar?? Or maybe I just cant remember?:laughing:

Did you post on here about it??

Anyway...how do you like it? I always like to hear feedback from others about my favorite brand:D Not that others arent good, but there are a TON of reviews and feedback for stihl and husky, but not much with dolmar. It seems everytime I suggest one, guys are like "dolmar...I've never heard of them":confused2:

Sorry for the hijack.