No power hydrostatis transmission

/ No power hydrostatis transmission #1  

fortyseven2n

Bronze Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N , 1952 Ferguson TO-30 , 1953 John Deere 40 Standard, 2009 Kubota L3400 HST with Loader
My Dad's YTH2448 with hydrostatic transmission will not pull on any kind of hill at all.

The mower is just a few months old and has not been abused.

It was very fast and worked well until a week or so ago. It will run in forward and reverse on flat ground but will not pull a hill.

Any ideas ?

Please help.

Thanks !!!!

Fortyseven2n

/ No power hydrostatis transmission #2  
I have a 2348 with the same problem. It has happened several times before. Previously I have had sucess using the purge procedure in the manual. This time is different. I'm also looking for a solution. Try the purge method first. Good luck.

/ No power hydrostatis transmission #4  
Tranny should still be under warranty, take it back to the dealer.

/ No power hydrostatis transmission #5  
I also have a YTH 2348 with 225 hours on it, mow about 3 acres every 7 to 10 days, this mower has the Tuff Torq KV46 tranmission.....my yard has both flat and inclines I noticed that the tractor seemed to be slowing so I put a new drive belt on it and that helped for awhile. This year after the 7 month Nebraska Winter I finally got the mower out and got it ready for mowing, after about 2 hours the mower couldn't pull the slightest hill and whined like it was starving for oil even turning was enough drag to stop it in its tracks......I tried everything I could think of was told my air filter could be dirty and bogging the engine changed it no help after 2 hours almost no movement, starting searching the web.....most folks said the transmission is a throw away, I took the chance that the oil needed changed in the KV46.....needless to say I dropped the tranny pulled the rubber fill plug drained it....it was full (the oil was surprising clean but seemed very thick supposedly 10w30 from the factory) refilled with 5w40 Valvoline 'full' synthetic, purged it on the bench till the axles turned and reinstalled......I can't say this will work for everyone but the tranny is quiet and has the same power it did when new.....just finished mowing tonight only stopped once to blow the grass out of the deck and top off the gas tank other than that mowed non stop 3.5 hours flats, hills didn't matter it just performed better than it has in a long time. Before you shell out the money for a new KV46 spend $15.00 for 2 quarts of high quality full synthetic oil and give it a chance.