In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise?

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #1  

HomeLawn

Tractor
Troybuilt Super Bronco
In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Any Advice or Recommendations?

Hello. I am new to the forum and basically a novice when it comes to lawn tractors, small engines and the like. I have 1 acre flat, basic residential lot. I currently have a TroyBuilt Super Bronco 22hp BS Intek lawn tractor that I have used since we bought our house 8 years ago. I do general service regularly and have had with minimal issues up to this point. I am now in need of a new lawn tractor, but do not need all the commercial requirements, just a good residential tractor that will provide a good cut and will hold up if serviced regularly. My top limit is about 2K-3K. I've read through several posts on this forum including a few for the model listed below, but there is not much there..

I'm sure there are many models that would fit the bill as an upgrade to the TroyBilt, but I was considering a Husqvarna based on friends advice. I would really appreciate any input from this forum. The model I was looking at was the YTH24K48 (Fast Tractor) that has the Kohler Courage Vtwin 24h engine, TurfTorq hydrostatic trans, and a stamped 14g steel deck. Other models in my price range had the Brigs Endurance V-twin with the locking differential hydrostatic trans. Lastly and is a little more pricey is the YTH24V48LS but it has the Kawaski FR series engine and a Fabricated cutting deck.

Pretty much all I would be doing is cutting grass and pulling carts of mulch/dirt/stone, and occasionally pulling a lawn sweeper to pick up leaves and clippings...not much if any else.

My question is for the limited amount of cutting I do which model would you choose on this budget? (none is an acceptable answer but doesn't help much unless you have an alternative!)
Is the Kawasaki worth the extra $$ or is this just lipstick on a pig?
Lowes seems to be the only store in my area, but is it worth seeking out a dealer to do business with instead of a Big Box,

I know I am a novice, but I would really appreciate any advice. All the reviews on Lowes website are from people like me. I need an opinion from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
   / In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #2  
You may just find another model similar to what you have or go Green ( I hate to say that since I am a huge Husky saw fan) and get a Deere mower. My Dad's Deere is about 10 years old and running strong despite a fair amount of abuse

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #3  
Treemonkey's right about the JD, but stay away from the box store ones. The JD at the dealer is probably out of your stated price range. Husqvarna is a good mower. Bought one last spring, the 54" reinforced deck with the Kawasaki. It climbs hills my JD GT235 would sit & spin on. That being said, buy at a Husqvarna dealer, not a box store. Had a couple of minor issues that my dealer took care of. Won't get that at a boxstore, and the dealers are not quick to take in box store versions for warranty work.

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #4  
I own a YTH2348 and have 118 hours on it and it has worked very well for us. After much research, bought it at a Lowe's for approx. $1800. Use it to mow 2.5 flat acres of native grass, pull a dump cart, and to move our chicken tractor. This unit has a 23 hp B&S engine and a k46 Tuff Torq tranny that I find to be very adequate for our needs.

I've only needed to replace the battery after about 2.5 years. Regular maintenance and blade sharpening should keep it going well.

I rarely need to mow as fast as the tractor can go, so I'm not sure that the YTH24K48 "fast" version is of any appreciable value. More often than not, I need to mow slower in really tall/thick grass and to avoid rocks, stumps, etc.

If you go the JD route, definitely buy it from a JD dealer. My "big boy" tractor is a JD 3520. :)

- Spindifferent

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #5  
it all starts with a good local dealer for parts/equipment. you need to visit a few and get the feel who you visit. like others said - stay away from retail stores like lowes/home depot/ace/etc. Just because they sell JD there doesnt mean its good stuff.
Or you could step up to a diesel that will run the cost of buying 3X's as much but its the last machine you will buy and lasts and lasts. cheaper to run too. I did the same with my kubota. Even kubota has the cheaper gas models you are used to - but parts and maintenance is easier.

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #6  
Re: In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Any Advice or Recommendations?

I have a Husqvarna GTH26V2LS with the fabicated deck and Kawasaki engine. It's a hoss and will mow through anything you can walk through. I doubt you'll need anything that stout. We have some steep dams around a lake that our little Husqvarna Rider 155 had a hard time with. So we bought the heavier GT with 'posi-traction' to climb the hills. We're not using the rear attachment features though. Our Kubuta servces that need.

My guess is that the YTH24V48LS with the Kawasaki engine will serve you well for years to come. It'll move smoother than the GTH.

I've had the Rider 155 for over 10 years, and regularly cut about 3 acres semi-monthly with that. We have >2,000 hours on that mower and it still runs like a top. It does have the Kohler engine which I rate less than Kawasaki. But - it's not very powerful, although "rated" 15 hp. I doubt that rating.

If possible though, I'd definitely buy from a dealer - not a big box store.

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #7  

as an example- this kubota model purchased from a dealer (msrp) comes in less than 5k. Usually you can work down 10-15% on the price.

fde4ca47-a774-4d72-9a39-9d10a954c57e.jpg

Essentially, "big box" store tractors are all built by MTD- just painted and labeled differently. Going through a dealer, you are definately getting the brand and the support.

IMHO, spending a little more now for something that will last a little longer is the way to go but, I respect that you have set a budget amount. A dealer will be able to work with you to get the most for your dollar where the "big box" store has a given mode at a given price and that's it.

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #8  

This husky model is pretty close to the Kubota one I posted and their site lists msrp as $3299.00. Dickering with a dealer may get you down to where you want to be.

gth24v52ls-4deb837f.png

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #9  
I bought online from PED (Power Eqpt Direct) and am satisfied with the money-saving purchase.

Bought a 23hp 48" Husqvarna and really like the mower. Briggs & Stratton engine and plenty of power.

From my view, it is best buy for money. PED saved me hundreds of $.

Scuzzbuket

/ In the market for a new Husky Lawn Tractor - Advise? #10  
I think you should drive to Kansas and buy my Cub Cadet with a 54" cut, 27 HP Kohler, Snow blade and tire chains. Better wait until the snow is cleared from I-35 first.