445 X-torque

/ 445 X-torque #1  

stormpetrel

Gold Member
Tractor
ym2210D
Hi folks,

My 445 runs cruddy, loses RPMs and power after a few seconds, seems like it's bogging down. The fuel is good, and fresh, I took the air cleaner off (for just a second) and it didn't get better, the spark plug looks fine. The saw is not yet two years old, I have taken down and cut up a few large trees and a bunch of smaller stuff around the property. I like the saw fine, it works great for what I need to do with it. The bogging down issue has me stumped. I have no idea where the fuel filter is, or if it may be a filtration problem. So...any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

/ 445 X-torque #2  
How sharp is your chain? Fuel filter is usually bobbing around in the gas tank. Is your oiler working. It sounds more like an air leak in the carb to head boots. If you pull off the air cleaner and start it up. Then apply pressure to the carb in different directions to see if the saw changes rpms or how it runs. And a very common thing is the gas may have sat in the diaphragm in the carb and it is gunked up. You might luck out and put a decent portion of Sea Foam in the gas mix and run it. That might clean it out.

/ 445 X-torque
How sharp is your chain? Fuel filter is usually bobbing around in the gas tank. Is your oiler working. It sounds more like an air leak in the carb to head boots. If you pull off the air cleaner and start it up. Then apply pressure to the carb in different directions to see if the saw changes rpms or how it runs. And a very common thing is the gas may have sat in the diaphragm in the carb and it is gunked up. You might luck out and put a decent portion of Sea Foam in the gas mix and run it. That might clean it out.

Thanks for the reply! I keep the chains sharp, the oiler is working. The saw did sit in the garage last winter with fuel in the tank and engine, but has worked well until very recently. I'll try the sea foam, and change the fuel filter. What concerns me is that the saw reaches good cutting RPM and does not bog down from cutting, but just at random times. Sometimes the engine quits and runs good again upon restarting. Until it bogs down again in the middle of cutting...

/ 445 X-torque #4  
Junk floating around in the carb diaphragm would be the best guess. If you are mechanical at all you can take the carb off and clean it out or get a kit to replace some of those parts. Usually it is more difficult to get the handle and linkage off and back on correctly than the carb itself. Especially if it sat with this nasty stuff they sell to us as gas anymore

/ 445 X-torque #5  
Have had several come in with same symptoms. Most just needed carb adjustments. Which will require you to trim the plastic stops off H at least and sometimes L too. Some new fuel line, some carb kits. I would start with carb adjust and just work your way up. Before carb check and make sure your fuel filter is attached and clean.

/ 445 X-torque #6  
Like xyz said, carb adjust would be my first check, then fuel line and filter.

/ 445 X-torque
Thanks folks. Did I read that there may be a special tool for carb adjustment? Does the carb adjust by screws? I haven't really looked at the saw, have been away for Thanksgiving and just returned tonight. As always, any help is appreciated. Trim plastic stops? I don't get the reference. Maybe I will when I look at the saw in the morning.
I have been happy with this saw, the only other chainsaw I have ever had was a 35 cc Poulan. Having the 445 for a while, I am ready to step up, and have been looking around for a 346xp or 550xp. :) I have one part of my property that is heavily treed, I want to thin it out considerably, and thought it would be nice to spend LESS time.....and have more fun.

/ 445 X-torque #8  
The plastic stops limit the carb adjustment screws, sometimes they need to be cut off to get more adjustment. Not sure if this model needs a special tool to adjust the screws, some do, most take a regular screw driver.

A 346xp, or 550xp would be a Huge upgrade! :D

/ 445 X-torque
The plastic stops limit the carb adjustment screws, sometimes they need to be cut off to get more adjustment. Not sure if this model needs a special tool to adjust the screws, some do, most take a regular screw driver.

A 346xp, or 550xp would be a Huge upgrade! :D

I'm really looking forward to it! I love the idea that the saws weigh just around the same, a friend has a 455 Rancher and it's heavier than I like. My 445 has an 18" bar. Do you think the 346/550 will be good with an 18" as well? I was wondering if I should go with 16" to keep weight and maneuverability good.

/ 445 X-torque #10  
Those saws will run the 18" bars no problem. Depending on how often you run into 18" diameter or better would help you figure out whether to use the 16" bar. That would be a lot of engine for a 16" bar. The saw I use the most all day is my top handle Husky with a 16" bar. That is because it is lighter and doesn't wear me out dragging it around. Another thing to consider is if you are leaning over cutting up a lot of stuff. The longer bar will give you a little more reach without having to lean over and make your cuts.. Clear as mud? :confused2: