550XP is here.....and MMed! :D

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #1  

stormpetrel

Gold Member
Tractor
ym2210D
It finally got here! A very pretty machine, somehow much smaller than I imagined; it hardly looks as big as the 445!

I switched the sprocket (I will be running 3/8 50 ga. chain) and did some judicious drilling out of the muffler (ahem). Ground and sanded everything smooth, painted the muffler w/high heat paint, put the screen back on, re-mounted the muffler, and fired her up!!

Modifying the muffler was fast and easy, and the hardest part about switching the sprocket (Aside from the clutch removal tool not fitting) was removing the spark plug: someone at the factory torqued that puppy GOOD!! For anyone who may be interested, I have the 20" Husqvarna bar new in the box and the OEM chain...

She SCRRREAMS with the modified muffler!!! :D :D:D I also checked for warm start issues, and found none; she started right up w/one pull. Nice. All that remains is to mount the new 18" Sugi Hara bar and some chain when it gets here tomorrow (I hope), and hope the rain goes away. I'll report back then.

But I do hear that break-in takes around 10 tanks....any thoughts on this from those who run the 550?

BTW the photo that shows the muffler on is already modified; I was able to open a pretty big 2nd port, AND still get the screen back on!

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 503
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 329
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 519
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 496
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 680
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 274
   / 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #2  
I already ran a woods ported muffler modded 550xp. :drink:

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #3  
Congrats Storm. Make sure she is not "screaming" too much. You may be running a little lean after opening up the exhaust. I know the saw is supposed to adjust itself but to what extent is beyond me. Without knowing anything about these new saws except they have a bar and chain just like the old saws, I'm wondering if it wouldn't meter itself to a more rich state if indeed it is lean now where perhaps you might see it running a bit slower at some point? Just a thought as cockeyed as it may seem.
Intriguing if it does.

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D
Congrats Storm. Make sure she is not "screaming" too much. You may be running a little lean after opening up the exhaust. I know the saw is supposed to adjust itself but to what extent is beyond me. Without knowing anything about these new saws except they have a bar and chain just like the old saws, I'm wondering if it wouldn't meter itself to a more rich state if indeed it is lean now where perhaps you might see it running a bit slower at some point? Just a thought as cockeyed as it may seem.
Intriguing if it does.

I did a TON of research on the 550XP before buying it; a MM doesn't require a "reset", the AT adjusts and equalizes. Remember, I still have to "set" the saw by running it continuously "in the cut" for several minutes before it will be tuned. I wanted to do the MM before I did the initial run-in and autotune adjustment, that way the saw will be used to it. At least, that was my reasoning!! :D

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #6  
Any closeup shots of the Muff mod? Something Im considering for my 562xp

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #7  
Great saw! Congrats!

I may have to get one at some point, even though I really don't need another saw.

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D

The bar is coming in today....I'll go back out in the garage, take the screen off, and get a good pic or two for ya!

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #9  
The bar is coming in today....I'll go back out in the garage, take the screen off, and get a good pic or two for ya!

Thanks much. The pics in your OP must have got resized somewhere along the way... They're postage stamp sized on my monitor.

/ 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D #10  
I gutted the muffler on my 562xp for a not really needed, but good power gain.

In hind sight I think I would have been better off just drilling a couple 3/8"+ holes under the deflector and a few in the baffle from the exhaust port side.