Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    ym2210D

Default 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D

It finally got here! A very pretty machine, somehow much smaller than I imagined; it hardly looks as big as the 445!

I switched the sprocket (I will be running 3/8 50 ga. chain) and did some judicious drilling out of the muffler (ahem). Ground and sanded everything smooth, painted the muffler w/high heat paint, put the screen back on, re-mounted the muffler, and fired her up!!

Modifying the muffler was fast and easy, and the hardest part about switching the sprocket (Aside from the clutch removal tool not fitting) was removing the spark plug: someone at the factory torqued that puppy GOOD!! For anyone who may be interested, I have the 20" Husqvarna bar new in the box and the OEM chain...

She SCRRREAMS with the modified muffler!!! I also checked for warm start issues, and found none; she started right up w/one pull. Nice. All that remains is to mount the new 18" Sugi Hara bar and some chain when it gets here tomorrow (I hope), and hope the rain goes away. I'll report back then.

But I do hear that break-in takes around 10 tanks....any thoughts on this from those who run the 550?

BTW the photo that shows the muffler on is already modified; I was able to open a pretty big 2nd port, AND still get the screen back on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -getattachment-jpg   -getattachment-jpg   -getattachment-jpg   -getattachment-jpg   -getattachment-jpg  

-getattachment-jpg  

Tractor
    none now

Default Re: 550XP is here.....and MMed! :D

I already ran a woods ported muffler modded 550xp.
    REDNECK Chainsaw Repair

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Congrats Storm. Make sure she is not "screaming" too much. You may be running a little lean after opening up the exhaust. I know the saw is supposed to adjust itself but to what extent is beyond me. Without knowing anything about these new saws except they have a bar and chain just like the old saws, I'm wondering if it wouldn't meter itself to a more rich state if indeed it is lean now where perhaps you might see it running a bit slower at some point? Just a thought as cockeyed as it may seem.
    Intriguing if it does.

Tractor
    ym2210D

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    Congrats Storm. Make sure she is not "screaming" too much. You may be running a little lean after opening up the exhaust. I know the saw is supposed to adjust itself but to what extent is beyond me. Without knowing anything about these new saws except they have a bar and chain just like the old saws, I'm wondering if it wouldn't meter itself to a more rich state if indeed it is lean now where perhaps you might see it running a bit slower at some point? Just a thought as cockeyed as it may seem.
    Intriguing if it does.
    I did a TON of research on the 550XP before buying it; a MM doesn't require a "reset", the AT adjusts and equalizes. Remember, I still have to "set" the saw by running it continuously "in the cut" for several minutes before it will be tuned. I wanted to do the MM before I did the initial run-in and autotune adjustment, that way the saw will be used to it. At least, that was my reasoning!!

Tractor
    BX2200, BCS 735

As they say on the other site, Storm and XYZ you both suck.
    Hate is like drinking poison, hoping your enemy will die. unknown author

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Any closeup shots of the Muff mod? Something Im considering for my 562xp

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Great saw! Congrats!

I may have to get one at some point, even though I really don't need another saw.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    ym2210D

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    The bar is coming in today....I'll go back out in the garage, take the screen off, and get a good pic or two for ya!

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post
    The bar is coming in today....I'll go back out in the garage, take the screen off, and get a good pic or two for ya!
    Thanks much. The pics in your OP must have got resized somewhere along the way... They're postage stamp sized on my monitor.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    I gutted the muffler on my 562xp for a not really needed, but good power gain.

In hind sight I think I would have been better off just drilling a couple 3/8"+ holes under the deflector and a few in the baffle from the exhaust port side.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast