starter and transmission

/ starter and transmission #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
Husqvarna GTH2550XP - 25 hp - 50" cut

I'm trying to help a neighbor with this lawn tractor. The engine won't turn over and perhaps the starter is bad. I need to check the battery cables and battery, but is the starter also the generator? Assuming we can get it started, the next problem is that for the last few years or so, the tractor does not propel itself very well. At best it's slow, and on a hill it may not move at all, and the problem gets worse as the outside temperature rises and as the tractor is used. The transmission seems to have a fill tube, possibly added by the last owner, but no dipstick is apparent. There is no evidence of oil leaking. The engine has not been a problem, other than this recent incident after the winter storage, but the transmission issue is ongoing. Is there any reasonable fix for this transmission, or is the tractor ready for the junk yard?

/ starter and transmission #2  
Does it have a belt and tensioner? I am not familiar with that machine. See if there is a oil drain plug in the tranny and pull that see if anything comes out. You can usually download the manuals for those also. Check for corroded ground connections on that battery and starter system. It may have a start solenoid you can jump around to see if the starter kicks in.

/ starter and transmission
Thanks for the advice. The online manual shows a transaxle, which is a sealed unit. no drain plug. The forward reverse is controlled via a fluid clutch of some sort. The drive belt to it is not slipping. Though I couldn't find the replacement unit for this older machine, similar later model transaxles cost in the range of $750, and it's probably a few hours work to swap one in.

/ starter and transmission #5  
I also had a similar experience with my GTH26V52LS. Caught me in a very precarious situation too, going down a steep slope!

The problem turned out to be that the brake pedal wasn't releasing the micro safety switch which prevents it from starting unless the brake pedal is depressed. Popping the brake pedal a couple of times cleared it. And after cleaning the mower up good solved that problem.

Try the brake pedal thing a few times - hopefully that'll be the problem.