Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #11  
Weight is a great thing on a garden tractor. Make everything better.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #12  
View attachment 354930

I know this is an old thread, but it discusses something I've been trying to figure out and that is whether or not the GT52XLS actually has a locking differential. I've seen conflicting information. Many sources on the internet, including those in this thread, maintain that the GT52XLS does not have the locking differential. But, I was at a local dealer the other day and took a look at one of those machines and snapped the picture that is attached. As you can see, the tag pictured (which was attached to a GT52XLS) claims it does have a locking differential. Does anyone have any insight? I'm truly trying to get to the bottom of this.

I am in the process of purchasing a GT52XLS also, and I noticed the same tag that mac2411 posted hanging on the tractor. It states twice right on the tag along with the actual model number that it has a differential lock... is it possible that it is a new feature for 2014? The Husqvarna website is still dated 2013... maybe that's why it isn't listed?

If not, I guess wishful thinking can't hurt!

-Greg

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #13  
The 2014 models that have the locking differential are the GT48/52xlsi. I have personally seen them both at a local dealer here. They also have the new keyless smart pad. The diff lock switch on both units is on the dash above the smart pad. The GT52xls does NOT have a locking differential, but it does have the higher speed tranny.

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #14  
Thanks for the info, blueJ, I saw the GT48xlsi at the dealer and saw what you are talking about. He now had the 2014 catalog that states no diff lock, yet the tag hanging on the tractor says it does. Must be just a misprint. Thanks again for the reply.

-Greg

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #15  
Good Morning...I am looking at the GT 48XLSi...which has the locking differential with a on/off switch. I have read many reviews as well as owners comments on web site and it seems that many do not like the "auto" diff locks as they say it "plows" when called for going into turns. One just had transmission replaced with tranny with NO locking diff as he was otherwise going to return his purchase (it was nearly new). I have decided that while I would really like the diff lock...I only want one with an on/off switch...don't need it but a few times per year...but it would be great to have WHEN you need it :) Thanks Tom R

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #16  
Well - I had the opportunity to put my Husqvarna GTH26V52LS to a real test yesterday, regarding the 'limited slip' differential. In short - that doesn't exist on my 1 year old Husqvarna. I buried it up to the frame in some soft mud with ONE wheel spinning like crazy and the other one just sitting there looking stupid.
I finally just gave up and drug it out with the Kubota :-(

Hold firm with your requirement for a genuine locking differential. They're worth the search.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #17  
Well - I had the opportunity to put my Husqvarna GTH26V52LS to a real test yesterday, regarding the 'limited slip' differential. In short - that doesn't exist on my 1 year old Husqvarna. I buried it up to the frame in some soft mud with ONE wheel spinning like crazy and the other one just sitting there looking stupid.
I finally just gave up and drug it out with the Kubota :-(

Hold firm with your requirement for a genuine locking differential. They're worth the search.

What he said...well I don't get stuck tooooo often...will save the wife having to bring my truck to tug me out. BTW...with wheel weights and chains on all year the issue is normally getting hung up on the low clearance of the deck! I am amazed that my transmission still works after I tried so (too) hard to "rock" it our with the tranny...not a good practice with the hydro :) Looking diff with on/off switch would be great...Also, note that wheel weights and chains "allow" you to get stuck much more thoroughly :) Tom R