Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I was looking at Husqvarna GT garden tractors yesterday at an authorized dealer who didn't know squat about the tractors he is trying to sell. Was on the phone with another, more experienced, dealer today and emerged with both him AND me more confused than when I started.

Husq ad tags on the machines and website conflict, and dealers don't know, although last dealer did get SOME info by going into the parts manuals.

Husq ads on the GT52XLS state the the product has "locking differential" This conflicts with the Web site. Website says that GT48XLS has "pedal operated locking differential" but dealer claims there is no pedal and it's automatic. Can't find any indication as to where the pedal is. Further, latest dealer found locking differential in the GT48XLS parts manual, but not the GT52XLS. OR the GT54LS.
But the Website seems to indicate that the GT54LS does have that feature.

So, I have a very simple question that seems to be incredibly profound at the same time:

Which Garden (NOT Yard) tractors have the PEDAL OPERATED LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL and where is the mysterious PEDAL?

Second question would be, "what does the X mean?" In other words, why is there a GT52XLS but not the GT54?

I have a 32 year old Wheel Horse tractor. It is a gear tractor. It is a great tractor, but at its age it's getting to be a hobby just to keep it going. It has value to collectors and Wheel Horse fans and hobbyists, and I think I would like to sell it and buy something new that is halfway decent. But with the hydros, when I get stuck, I cannot just leave it in reverse, jump off the tractor and pull it out of the mud, ergo LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL is MOST ESSENTIAL, in both a real and poetic sense, lol. I know the Husqvarna tractors are not in the same class with the Wheel Horse, but I have a bigger machine to do the biggest part of the lawns, leaving the garden tractor less duty than the old Wheel Horse used to get. Husqvarna might make decent equipment, but there is a major cognitive dissonance among their admen and their dealers!!

If anyone can answer my questions definitively, I would surely appreciate it.

BTW, I don't think there is really such a thing as an "automatic" locking diff. Limited slip can be automatic, but isn't really the same thing.

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #2  
I was looking at Husqvarna GT garden tractors yesterday at an authorized dealer who didn't know squat about the tractors he is trying to sell. Was on the phone with another, more experienced, dealer today and emerged with both him AND me more confused than when I started.

Husq ad tags on the machines and website conflict, and dealers don't know, although last dealer did get SOME info by going into the parts manuals.

Husq ads on the GT52XLS state the the product has "locking differential" This conflicts with the Web site. Website says that GT48XLS has "pedal operated locking differential" but dealer claims there is no pedal and it's automatic. Can't find any indication as to where the pedal is. Further, latest dealer found locking differential in the GT48XLS parts manual, but not the GT52XLS. OR the GT54LS.
But the Website seems to indicate that the GT54LS does have that feature.

So, I have a very simple question that seems to be incredibly profound at the same time:

Which Garden (NOT Yard) tractors have the PEDAL OPERATED LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL and where is the mysterious PEDAL?

Second question would be, "what does the X mean?" In other words, why is there a GT52XLS but not the GT54?

I have a 32 year old Wheel Horse tractor. It is a gear tractor. It is a great tractor, but at its age it's getting to be a hobby just to keep it going. It has value to collectors and Wheel Horse fans and hobbyists, and I think I would like to sell it and buy something new that is halfway decent. But with the hydros, when I get stuck, I cannot just leave it in reverse, jump off the tractor and pull it out of the mud, ergo LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL is MOST ESSENTIAL, in both a real and poetic sense, lol. I know the Husqvarna tractors are not in the same class with the Wheel Horse, but I have a bigger machine to do the biggest part of the lawns, leaving the garden tractor less duty than the old Wheel Horse used to get. Husqvarna might make decent equipment, but there is a major cognitive dissonance among their admen and their dealers!!

If anyone can answer my questions definitively, I would surely appreciate it.

BTW, I don't think there is really such a thing as an "automatic" locking diff. Limited slip can be automatic, but isn't really the same thing.

Hi there MOF, I haven't seen the new GTH's yet physically but I work for the folks the make the part that makes the smaller Husqvarna XLS models locking differential. That unit does NOT have pedal activation and it is automatic. I'm not allowed to tell you how it works technically because I'd get my rear in a bind at work. But I can tell you that our unit has no pedal operation, no power usage, no input at all from the operator is needed. In all respects it is automatic. We also make a version for garden tractors and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what's in the GT48XLS as that trans is made my the same manufacturer. The X in XLS is usually what denotes the locking diff. in the Husqvarna tractors. BUT the GT48XLS is the only model that has the locking diff as far as I know in the GT series. It utilizes the 27 HP B&S engine. and has the HD fabricated deck. The GT52XLS has the Kawasaki engine and still runs the Hydro Gear G730 HD High speed trans. like the one that is in my machine. and a HD fabricated deck. The GT54 should have Briggs Motor, the standard Tuff Torque K66 trans. and a stamped steel deck. The last one I would steer clear of if you plan to do real GT stuff with it, like heavy ground engaging stuff like plowing a garden or dirt moving. Anything lighter duty the GT54 should be fine. What it really boils down to is what you plan to do with it? The 52XLS will be faster and have a somewhat heavier duty trans. (think between a K66 and a K72) but with no diff lock. I can tell you right now that unless your lawn is golf course perfect you aren't going to mow anywhere near the 7.8 MPH the hydro gear will do without requiring some dental work. But if you have a big property and need to get around quickly or are doing heavier duty ground engaging work. Then that unit is for you. The GT48XLS will be slower, but still plenty quick for a GT at 5.5 MPH, and will be better mowing slopes and hills that are steeper due to the diff lock. Hope this helps, Chemteck. PS, the X also usually gets you the HD Fabricated deck, and upgraded hour meter and amp meter.

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion.
Thanks for the info! It clears up a lot, and yes, the locking diff is a necessity in the Catskills. We have lots of slopes, and the occasional muddy spot as well. The ground is uneven enough so that we don't go fast when cutting. Locking diff and fabricated deck are needed here.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #4  
Thanks for the info! It clears up a lot, and yes, the locking diff is a necessity in the Catskills. We have lots of slopes, and the occasional muddy spot as well. The ground is uneven enough so that we don't go fast when cutting. Locking diff and fabricated deck are needed here.

Sounds like the GT48XLS would be the one for you then. Enjoy!

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #5  
I recently purchased GT48XLS with dashboard mounted electronic Differential Lock Switch. I too have very challenging terrain with mud areas to say the least. The manual states driving for long periods of time with the differential lock engaged is NOT detrimental or abusive to the system. Having a locking defferential which I keep engaged is a huge differance, no more leaning over the free spinning wheel or uncontrollable speed on steep declines. The tractor does not break traction on extreme inclines rather it will come up.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #6  
I kinda like the manual locking differential myself. With manual diff lock, if you get stuck, you can generally engage it and get out. If it is always engaged, when you get stuck, you're going to need something else to pull you out.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #7  
2014-01-12_16-33-43_710.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but it discusses something I've been trying to figure out and that is whether or not the GT52XLS actually has a locking differential. I've seen conflicting information. Many sources on the internet, including those in this thread, maintain that the GT52XLS does not have the locking differential. But, I was at a local dealer the other day and took a look at one of those machines and snapped the picture that is attached. As you can see, the tag pictured (which was attached to a GT52XLS) claims it does have a locking differential. Does anyone have any insight? I'm truly trying to get to the bottom of this.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #8  
It does not. All of them have an unlocked diff. Sorrily

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #9  
I have the YTH24V54XLS with locking diff. Dealer explained that the diff lock kicks in automatically when drive wheel starts to spin. It truly does lock-I can attest to the turf tear on tight corners when it kicks in.

/ Husqvarna garden tractor - mass confusion. #10  
I have a GTH26V52LS with the Hydro Gear transmission. It too was "supposed" to have a locking differential. And maybe it does, but I have yet to see it spinning both rear tires at the same time.
Power is certainly no problem with the 26hp Kawasaki engine. I have one dam bank that's 25 degrees - the Husq climbs that with total ease. I did however, give it some help - I filled the rear tires 3/4 full of water and added 50# wheel weights to each side. That, and me weighing 215# gives it enough dry ground traction regardless of slope. I've mowed 3' high bull weeds with it and it never even coughed. Be assured though, it does ride rough.

Wet or soft ground is another problem. I find myself wondering if I should change the rear tires to something with cleats. Do you have an opinion on that? My fear is that it would simply flip over if I got too much traction :)