YT48XLS with some issues

/ YT48XLS with some issues #1  

dass

Silver Member
I've got about 15 hours on this mower now and the quality of cut is not good.Even after checking the level of the deck,twice.It is SPOT on !I found after a third check why it would scalp in areas and leave lines in others.The deck wheels are not even ! Now as I said the deck is level,checked on a level smooth concrete floor.The wheels on the left side are fine but on the right side the front wheel is about a quarter inch highter than than the front left.The right rear is too low and nearly touching the floor.There is just no way to get an even cut with uneven wheels.It seems either the brackets were not installed correctly or the holes were not drilled right. I will see my dealer this week .And I'll get back with you all on this.

/ YT48XLS with some issues
It's been two weeks.....nothing.A new deck was sent ,mule train, I guess ! The dealer acts like he could care less. That seems odd ! Wish now I hadn't sold my old mower !

Going on three weeks....! The dearler tried to call me several times but he had my old phone number,so that was not his fault.Anyway, calls to Husqvarna was a waste of time.They said it's all in the hands of the distributor.No one will tell you who that is or where they are. I will call the FTC today and get a better idea where I go from here. The other issue : After a few hours of use I heard a squeak,right through my head phones.The front wheels and axle were dry.No grease at all.That's nice ! Well that's the first chapter in this nightmare. Where it go's from here ....I have no clue ! It could get nasty.

The new deck is on.It cuts better than the original. I'm still not crazy about the cut quality. Does anyone here have a fabricated deck ? Are you happy with it ?

/ YT48XLS with some issues #5  
I do have the 52" fabricated deck; GHT52V26. I also have a 41" Husq. Rider 155 with the stamped deck. No comparison in the fab deck and the stamped deck. The fab deck is made for high brush and weeds - much heavier duty than the stamped deck. Blades are about 1/4" thick and the deck about 11 ga or better.

For carpet smooth finish, I turn to the 41" stamped deck Rider. Zero scalping, carpet smooth cut. But there's no way that the little Rider could handle the slopes and high weeds "out back".

The Rider is 11 years old with over 2500 hours. It's a "lawn mower" - for smooth nice finish lawns. The GHT is a "yard mower and garden tractor" for rough work. Turns on a 4" circle and is a lot better for me than a ZTR.

Only problems with the Rider was a broken brake cable and a failed starter solenoid back some many years ago. So far, no problems at all with the 26 hp 52"er.

I will add - I do maintain my equipment well. Annual oil change, spark plug, grease scalper wheels, tie rods, etc. Air filter is changed more frequently, i.e. as needed. I realize that that's not the problem with your mower, it being new, but I do think that's the reason for the longevity of the Rider. The GHT gets the same care, and hopefully will last a very long time.

I have to agree,it's a rough cut deck.I only wish I knew that before I boughjt it. I'll find other decks that fit this rider.Either stamped or middle grade.Or wait 'till spring and cut my losses and get rid of the whole thing .One way or another this nightmare will END !

OK,Saturday morning I set out to try to adjust this deck one more time.The sway bar had a lot of play,as they all do,but with the extra weight of a fab. deck there was too much.I put washers on both ends to sure it up and control the lateral movement.Set the front wheels just above the floor a hair.The back ones at 5/32 off the floor.Tried it.And SOB,it worked !By the way,the wheels are set in the LOWER holes on the brackets. END OF STORY .........I hope !

/ YT48XLS with some issues #8  
Just checking in to see if anyone else has experienced the poor cut of the fabricated deck..... ours only had 14 hours and we put another 120 hours and struggled along the way to make the yard look decent. The front anti scalping wheels are mounted to flimsy metal too thin gauge and not braced sufficiently. I noticed the new ones are beefier. Wonder if enough people called Husqvarna if they would entertain a buyback or recall? Have considered welding some crazy wheels at all 4 corners like a finish mower has......maybe someone has seen this done?

/ YT48XLS with some issues #9  
Just checking in to see if anyone else has experienced the poor cut of the fabricated deck..... ours only had 14 hours and we put another 120 hours and struggled along the way to make the yard look decent. The front anti scalping wheels are mounted to flimsy metal too thin gauge and not braced sufficiently. I noticed the new ones are beefier. Wonder if enough people called Husqvarna if they would entertain a buyback or recall? Have considered welding some crazy wheels at all 4 corners like a finish mower has......maybe someone has seen this done?

What do you guys mean "Fabricated Deck"? They are all technically fabricated. The decks come in three colors starting with the black deck which you usually get at box stores. Then the grey deck which you get at box stores but is higher quality heavier gauge and finally the premium orange deck which you get at the dealers-highest quality.

I have the grey deck and its been cutting smooth and clean since 2006. Make sure you are at high RPM when you cut and go as fast as it can handle smooth cuts. Not saying that's the issue in this case but speed and rpm will also have an affect.

410 hours, only replaced one belt, battery and welded a broken drive linkage-that's it since new from Sears-12 years old already and I mow 1.3 acres of wet, sloped, and rough ground.

/ YT48XLS with some issues #10  
Fabricated decks have sharp corners and on stamped deck the upper corners are curved......Fabricated have more welds instead of just being stamped out with a giant press....