Husqvarna riding mower not starting

/ Husqvarna riding mower not starting #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I am looking for some guidance for my mower. It's a Husqvarna Yth210XP riding mower with a 21 hp Kawasaki engine. Here's the story: went to insert the key to start my mower the other day and and didn't notice that a dirt dobber (small wasp) had placed its pupae into the ignition switch. That means dirt was tucked down inside the key slot. I unfortunately pushed that dirt further into the ignition with the key. The mower tried to turn over once and then wouldn't try again. I have tried to use canned air to blow out the switch. I can twist the key in the switch but the mower won't even try to start. If I leave the key in the on position I can hear a click about every three seconds. I have checked the fuse and it is fine. I have also charged the battery to make sure it has good power.

My question is: should I replace the ignition switch? Or is there something else that I should check?

Thanks for any advice.

/ Husqvarna riding mower not starting #2  
I wonder if you could flush it with a water hose to get the dirt out, then follow up with WD40? Seems to me that it has to be dirt stopping it from getting good current...

/ Husqvarna riding mower not starting #3  
Flush the switch out with an electrical cleaner spray?

/ Husqvarna riding mower not starting
Thanks for the suggestions. I never even knew there was such a thing as an electrical cleaner spray. I need to get to town more often!

/ Husqvarna riding mower not starting #6  
I have serious doubts that the plugged key is the problem. The key simply moves a contact inside and doesn't actually make electrical contact. Perhaps the dobbers have caked up another contact or maybe field mice, etc. have cut a wire?

Yeah I haven't had any luck just yet. I need to get back to it. I tried blowing the ignition out with compressed air and then spraying silicone based lubricate in it. No dice. Now the battery looks rough, too.. Looks like I need to buy a new battery and go from there. I haven't had time lately to get to it but I hope to soon. Thanks for our input.

Well I finally got back to the mower. I noticed that the positive cable terminal was actually corroded nearly through but I couldn't see that very easily until I commenced to install the new battery. So after replacing that terminal and installing the new battery....surprise....it worked. I feel pretty stupid for having gone through all that other stuff with the ignition, etc. but at least it works now. Surging a bit, but running. I'll get to the carburator cleaning and then I should be all set for the mowing of the weeds come this spring.