DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #1  

gogojuice

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I purchased the tiller last spring. It was a new unit. Since then I have only used it twice. The problem is that the engine surges in revs up and down all the time. It doesn't matter what choke position it is in either.

The first timer he dealer said that it needed to be broken in and that it will go away. I only used it for about 3 hours on a 40x40 already tilled piece of property. I thought, ok it will wear in. Come fall.. and it did it again. The dealer took it back and said that they found a pinched fuel line and replaced it. Brought it back, and I tested it and it did it again. They told me that they contacted Honda and Honda told them this is the way this engine is designed to be. It will always surge.

I called Husqvana service number but because it has a Honda engine they told me I would have to contact Honda.

I don't believe this is right. It should not be surging in my opinion. It also lacks power. I have no mechanical knowledge about tillers either so that doesn't help my position at all with the dealer.

If anyone has this tiller can they tell me wether or not the engine surges not.

Thanks for your time :)

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #2  
It sounds to me like there is trash in the carb or the spring for the gonernor is too loose. I don't think it's supposed to surge all the time either. I had a similar issue with a Honda Chinese clone. I shortened the spring and it cleared up. You shouldn't have to mechanic a new machine like that.

I had a Husqvarna 650 CRT tiller and it was essentially disposable. Didn't last. The transmission was junk after a couple years. Replaced it and the second one was just as much a piece of junk. I'll never buy another one. I bought the Husqvarna tiller based on my experience with their chainsaws. Little did I know. A good chainsaw does not equal a good rototiller. I've used their chainsaws for 15 years. Completely wore out a 55. The 345 I have is okay and im still using it but I've since switched to Stihl for my bigger farm saw. The Stihl 310 is has been a great saw.

Good luck. I would persist with the dealer and maybe contact another one nearby to see if they claim the same thing about that surging.

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #3  
Believe me - that surging should not be happening. No doubt it's a simple adjustment problem, but the dealer should address it, not leave it up to the customer.

My guess is that the air/fuel mixture isn't quite right. Surging sounds like not enough air. But if you decide to adjust it yourself, just beware - a LITTLE turn on the screws goes a long way. If you totally 'screw' that up, you can get a fresh start by closing both all the way and backing out 2 1/2 turns. Then small tweaks from there.

I have jammed the air/fuel mixture screws in too far and ruined the soft brass seat. Once you do that, a new carburetor is in your future. And they run about $40! If it were me, I'd make the dealer address the problem or take it back.

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to be looking into trying to find another dealer. I'm losing my trust in this one. I have never heard of an engine that is built to surge. It just doesn't make any sense.
I'm going to call the dealer and contact honda to ask them about it and get something in writing or email that I can show the dealer. If they don't want to listen, then I'll really have to find a new one :(

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #5  
It sounds to me like there is trash in the carb or the spring for the gonernor is too loose. I don't think it's supposed to surge all the time either. I had a similar issue with a Honda Chinese clone. I shortened the spring and it cleared up. You shouldn't have to mechanic a new machine like that.

I had a Husqvarna 650 CRT tiller and it was essentially disposable. Didn't last. The transmission was junk after a couple years. Replaced it and the second one was just as much a piece of junk. I'll never buy another one. I bought the Husqvarna tiller based on my experience with their chainsaws. Little did I know. A good chainsaw does not equal a good rototiller. I've used their chainsaws for 15 years. Completely wore out a 55. The 345 I have is okay and im still using it but I've since switched to Stihl for my bigger farm saw. The Stihl 310 is has been a great saw.

Good luck. I would persist with the dealer and maybe contact another one nearby to see if they claim the same thing about that surging.

I totally agree with your assessment of the Husqvarna 650 CRT tiller. What I did not like was the reverse tines. You couldn't till much like leaves and grass and old plants into the soil because it would bottleneck at the tires and tines and ride on top of everything. I'd finally have enough with mine and I cleaned it up last fall and was Windexing it (Yes I like Windex) while it was running and when I turned it off it broke. I assume a piston shaft broke or something because I could turn it by hand about 350 degrees. Anyway, I let my step-dad give it to his son's wife's brother and he put a new motor on it and loves it.
It really does work great... but only if conditions are perfect... like already tilled.... :banghead: I paid $450 for mine on Craigslist. I spent $450 too much.

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #6  
The engine should not surge. It sounds like it needs a carb or governor adjustment. Find an alternate dealer. The dealer you have been dealing with is feeding you BS. Once the engine warms up it should run smooth & strong.

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #7  
Most of the time when a engine surges it's hunting for gas.

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #8  
While I agree that most likely it's the carb that needs adjusting, I did however, have a similar experience with a Honda lawnmower. Worked on that scoundrel so many times, I finally just GAVE it away. Now - that's a $600 mower originally, but truthfully, I did get a number years of good service out of it before the surging problem began.

The solution to that was to insert a small gas filter - one of those cheap inline filters. After that, the new owner never had a problem with it and is still using it today, 8 years later.

Adding a cheap inline filter might be a quick, cheap, easy thing to do. Certainly worth trying...

/ DRT900H tiller problems. Engine Surging. Dealer says it's supposed to.. Please help #9  
That doesn't sound right, he might be leaving some of the story out.