Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #1  

Robert F.

Bronze Member
I have a Husqvarna GTH2654, bought new in 2005 from Lowes. It has a stamped deck. A problem that I have with this deck is that it always leaves an uncut strip 18 inches in from the left side of the deck. I have never hit anything, the deck is not damaged in any way that I can see. I have replaced one spindle a few years ago when one of them seized and came apart. I have removed all the spindles several times to wire brush and paint the underside of the deck however there is only one spot to install the spindles as there in no adjustment to their location. Whether I use OEM blades or not, the problem is the same. The blades are also the correct ones and could not be any longer since there is only 1/16" between them when pointing toward each other. The gap is identical between the center blade and the left blade or center and right blade. I do not remember if it has always been like this but this is very frustrating. I always have to overlap by at least 18" in order to eliminate the uncut strip. Tire pressures are all correct and the deck cuts evenly side to side so it appears to be correctly adjusted.
Does anybody else have this problem and if yes have you been able to solve it. Thanks in advance for any tips anyone can give me. Bob

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #2  
I have a Husqvarna GTH2654, bought new in 2005 from Lowes. It has a stamped deck. A problem that I have with this deck is that it always leaves an uncut strip 18 inches in from the left side of the deck. I have never hit anything, the deck is not damaged in any way that I can see. I have replaced one spindle a few years ago when one of them seized and came apart. I have removed all the spindles several times to wire brush and paint the underside of the deck however there is only one spot to install the spindles as there in no adjustment to their location. Whether I use OEM blades or not, the problem is the same. The blades are also the correct ones and could not be any longer since there is only 1/16" between them when pointing toward each other. The gap is identical between the center blade and the left blade or center and right blade. I do not remember if it has always been like this but this is very frustrating. I always have to overlap by at least 18" in order to eliminate the uncut strip. Tire pressures are all correct and the deck cuts evenly side to side so it appears to be correctly adjusted.
Does anybody else have this problem and if yes have you been able to solve it. Thanks in advance for any tips anyone can give me. Bob

I would check alignment and level of the deck itself, go buy the user manual on how to level the deck. If that doesnt work make sure your blades are level. The blade to the front cuts the grass before the rear blades to. There is always n overlap so that none of the grass is left behind. Sounds like the left most blade might be the one out of alignment if thats the case.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip.
I would check alignment and level of the deck itself, go buy the user manual on how to level the deck. If that doesnt work make sure your blades are level. The blade to the front cuts the grass before the rear blades to. There is always n overlap so that none of the grass is left behind. Sounds like the left most blade might be the one out of alignment if thats the case.

I don't know what alignment means but the deck is adjusted as per the manual, perfectly level side to side and the required tilt front to back. Blades are new, sharp and have not been damaged from striking anything. Tire pressure as per the manual. i know that Deere advertises a significant overlap of the blades so as to eliminate this uncut strip. I have occasionally heard that decks are prone to this problem. Just wondering if others have a similar problem with their Husqvarna or any brand for that matter.
Thanks for the reply.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #4  
There is another alignment to consider, looking down from the top of the tractor is the deck square to the centreline of the machine. Some decks are skewed but I think yours should be square, ie measure from the back wheel to a point on the deck and compare to the other side.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip.
It is a three blade deck and runs square to the center line of the tractor and it does. There is no adjustment for that as everything is fixed and very solid. All the adjustments are as specified in the manual so I suspect it simply is the nature of the beast. I will live with it or replace it.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #6  
I was going to ask if the underside of the deck had been cleaned lately, but if you have painted it, I assume it is clean. I know my deck will leave strips if it is not clean, I think the grass that has accumulated under the deck pushes the grass down and the blades do not cut it properly. Interesting problem, hope you figure it out.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #7  
My Ferris was leaving a strip on the right side only after I changed the blades. I took them back off and the dealer had given me blades for a 48" deck rather than a 52". The blades should be set in a triangle pattern with the center several inches in front of the two side blades so you can actually get more blade length than deck width so the blades are actually overlapping by an inch or so on each blade but they never hit because of the front to rear offset.
If the blades are correct size, under deck is clean, then something under the deck or front axle must be pushing the grass down to keep the blade from cutting it. It there an anti-scalping roller in the same pathway as the uncut spot.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #8  
I have a GTH2652 but it does not have this problem. I have seen exactly the same problem however on my son's B2410. My single uneducated thought would be as to whether you have the blades properly out of sync.

I'm not sure exactly what angles to set the outside blades other than just looking at the pictures in my WSM. I do know that they aren't exactly 90 degrees from each other, whether that affects the discharge and cutting or not. The length of the blades would be the critical thing though. My blades will clash if not properly offset - so perhaps you have the wrong length of blade?

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #9  
Blade alignment.JPG

When you look at the deck from underneath the most forward blade should overlap the rear blades when they are at the same level as seen in the picture. If not then you either have the wrong blades or the wrong mandrel. If they do overlap some and everthing is in alignment according to the manual left to right, front to back and the front is slighly up above the rear (if the fron is to high or too low it will leave an uncut strip) and if it always left an uncut strip since new then you should have returned it then.

As another poster indicated, when the deck gets clocked it can leave an uncut strip as well.

/ Husqvarna deck leaves uncut strip. #10  
I have a GTH2652 but it does not have this problem. I have seen exactly the same problem however on my son's B2410. My single uneducated thought would be as to whether you have the blades properly out of sync.

I'm not sure exactly what angles to set the outside blades other than just looking at the pictures in my WSM. I do know that they aren't exactly 90 degrees from each other, whether that affects the discharge and cutting or not. The length of the blades would be the critical thing though. My blades will clash if not properly offset - so perhaps you have the wrong length of blade?

I don't think that's possible because all belts will slip and never on all three spindles the same amount.